breathless /air hunger

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya

Is it a part of diabetes to feel short of breath and get air hunger feelings ? I have had it on and off over the last year maybe longer can't remember as I'm used to health issues I've had chronic fatigue syndrome for 7 years (drs now said he thinks I could of had blood sugar issues for years )

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's something you should take up with your gp.

There are so many reason for being short of breath. Everything from a multitude of medical issues to anxiety.

Reactions: Prem51

Jolegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had similiar feelings a liitle while ago. It was like i wanted to yawn but couldnt and if i tried i could do a proper yawn and just felt like i could not get enough air. Never found out why but it did go away.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes. You can get breathless with hyper and hypo symptoms. However it could be a lung complaint. Your gp can do a breathing test if your having an on going problem.
How is your bg control?

M

ME_Valentijn

Orthostatic Intolerance is a symptom for most people with ME/CFS. It can cause light-headedness and related symptoms after standing or even sitting up for too long. But breathlessness can also be a symptom of intense hyperglycemia, or a potentially dangerous side effect of metformin in susceptible people.

I also have ME/CFS, and had to stop taking metformin due to symptoms of lactic acidosis. I had new/extra burning and pains in my arms, and my shoulders suddenly got quite weak. I was also very cold for a few days, legs were twitching, a nasty headache hit me, and I had the air-hunger at times. If you're having similar symptoms after starting or increasing metformin, it might be a problem. I had trouble figuring out what was going on at first because the symptoms were so similar to what comes with over-exerting a muscle - except it was hitting muscles I wasn't using.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say you need to discuss this with a doc. So many different possible causes, I wouldn't like to speculate. But whatever it is, you need to know, and you may need treatment, so please make that appointment!

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thsnks everyone. I'm not on meds just diagnosed and been doing diets i've settled on the lower carb one.

My sugars are something im figuring out but I can't eat potato I found my levels were almost 12 after a small amount boiled skin on potatos. My fasting glucose the next morning was 8.2 . Lowest fasting this past week was 6.8 highest was that 11. Some thing after the potato

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thsnks everyone. I'm not on meds just diagnosed and been doing diets i've settled on the lower carb one.

My sugars are something im figuring out but I can't eat potato I found my levels were almost 12 after a small amount boiled skin on potatos. My fasting glucose the next morning was 8.2 . Lowest fasting this past week was 6.8 highest was that 11. Some thing after the potato
Try reheated potato but not huge amounts. One or two small potatoes worth.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Coleyd,
You could have one of any number of conditions. You need a consultation with your GP and blood tests.

For example, if it occurs lying down it could mean the LHS of your heart is having difficulty pumping blood through your lungs in which case a B.N.P. boood test is done before cardiac referral.
But it could be just a simple allergy to an animal or an animal product?
regards
Derek

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try reheated potato but not huge amounts. One or two small potatoes worth.
Just taking a slight detour 'off topic'. This suggestion by Ickyhun is not a daft one. Recent research has shown that allowing starchy foods such as potato. rice and pasta to cool down , then reheating it allows the starch in the food to convert to a less active version of carbs, and leads to a lower bgl spike,

Don't delay this reheat with rice, though since it can create other health issues. Just a quick rinse under the tap in cold water, then a rinse with boiling water to reheat it. These rinses also remove some of the gloopy starch as well.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just taking a slight detour 'off topic'. This suggestion by Ickyhun is not a daft one. Recent research has shown that allowing starchy foods such as potato. rice and pasta to cool down , then reheating it allows the starch in the food to convert to a less active version of carbs, and leads to a lower bgl spike,

Don't delay this reheat with rice, though since it can create other health issues. Just a quick rinse under the tap in cold water, then a rinse with boiling water to reheat it. These rinses also remove some of the gloopy starch as well.

Has anyone tried the effect of different ways of cooking the rice ?
In my experience westerners tend to boil rice in water then rinse the excess off including the starch released by the breakdown of the rice by the boiling.
I also know a Somalian who has an entirely different methodology. the rice is very lightly oiled first in a frying pan, then water is added 2 cupfuls to each cupful of rice. The saucepan is then simmered not boiled, the rice is done when there is no more water in the pan. There is no rinsing as nothing to rinse The result is the rice tastes much nuttier, the starch is not released. I have absolutely no idea if this process would be worse or better for a diabetic and I am not eating rice at present to test it. I would be interested to know if anyone else has ? the rice is much more flavourful cooked the Somalian way.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried the effect of different ways of cooking the rice ?
In my experience westerners tend to boil rice in water then rinse the excess off including the starch released by the breakdown of the rice by the boiling.
I also know a Somalian who has an entirely different methodology. the rice is very lightly oiled first in a frying pan, then water is added 2 cupfuls to each cupful of rice. The saucepan is then simmered not boiled, the rice is done when there is no more water in the pan. There is no rinsing as nothing to rinse The result is the rice tastes much nuttier, the starch is not released. I have absolutely no idea if this process would be worse or better for a diabetic and I am not eating rice at present to test it. I would be interested to know if anyone else has ? the rice is much more flavourful cooked the Somalian way.
I believe this is how to cook paella rice or risotto. If so then it still spikes me badly. I also think that Nasi Goreng is also cooked this way, but that is also bad for me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, for me, rice is rice is rice. Horrendous spikes all round.

I did have a brief flutter of hope with sushi rice, but it didn't last.