bulgar wheat

chocaholic

Hi to you all,
I have a question regarding bulgar wheat, its supposed to be low GI and ive recently started replacing rice with bulgar wheat, so i wanted to know when it comes to testing do i test after 2 hrs or 3hrs. Is bulgar wheat better than brown rice? thank you!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Bulger wheat . Carbs ............... 76.3g......per 100gm

Brown rice dried average. Carbs.... 76.2g.......per 100gm

So not much difference in it.

Better to test after two and three hours until you know how it affects you.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
And Basmati rice is 77g of carbs per 100g but is much harder for the human body to metabolise into glucose so is much kinder on bg levels.

Pinklady680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats good to know Sid, I like basmati rice as well, so an added bonus, much nicer than wholegrain/wholemeal rice. :)

Julie

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Its the only rice I eat but I still cant manage much, a couple of tablespoons full max, but I like it too in fact as a curry lover it is the only rice I have ever eaten, so a happy coincidence for me. I just cant cover my plate with it like I used too :lol:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chocaholic!

I thought I was doing brilliantly with a bulgar wheat/quinoa mix as it didn't appear to spike my BG at all, with the two-hour reading pretty much the same as the pre-food reading. However, one time I tested 3 hours after the meal and to my horror, my BG was at 13. I realised then that it spikes me every bit as badly as rice - just later! Now I'm on insulin, I find bulgar wheat especially difficult to inject for as the insulin action peaks too early causing my BG to crash, but the bulgar wheat delivers its glucose much later when the insulin has worn off.

Smidge