Bulimia

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
By the way I live with my partner who has tried many many times to get me some help but then I wasn't diabetic and now he's really behind me and he's quite positive that its me that's finally asked for help.at 6pm I did my blood and it was 10.2 and I've only had 3black coffees (1 sugar) I ate half a cold boiled egg a piece of ham and a small piece of cheese.I've just done my blood again and its13.7. I really don't understand this. What am I doing wrong (I truly haven't been sick either) I've made up my mind to be honest if I need to get myself sorted. I feel a bit clammy at the moment and have had to use my asthma inhalers x

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
By the way I live with my partner who has tried many many times to get me some help but then I wasn't diabetic and now he's really behind me and he's quite positive that its me that's finally asked for help.at 6pm I did my blood and it was 10.2 and I've only had 3black coffees (1 sugar) I ate half a cold boiled egg a piece of ham and a small piece of cheese.I've just done my blood again and its13.7. I really don't understand this. What am I doing wrong (I truly haven't been sick either) I've made up my mind to be honest if I need to get myself sorted. I feel a bit clammy at the moment and have had to use my asthma inhalers x
Well done on eating the egg, ham and cheese @Jogreen21 Just take it slowly and relax. If your BS continues to be high and there is no reason for this I suggest you call your Dr or your DSN in the morning. Of course it could be the sugar in the coffee or you might be going to have a cold or something like that. Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo - what you ate was absolutely fine, so don't worry about those foods. The sugar in your coffee isn't ideal, but this whole thing is a work in progress, so take it steady. As I said in my earlier post, your cold won't be helping matters, but when anyone eats their numbers do go up a bit. It's just a case of how much and for how long.

Look after that cold, and take plenty fluids. Whilst you haven't eaten much today (from what you've written), your body will have got used to running a bit higher than ideal - it happens with undiagnosed or uncontrolled diabetes, and it takes a little while (everyone is different) to come down to desirable levels. Annoyingly, eating too little isn't great either.

Everyone finds grasping control to be a bit of a puzzle, so don't feel you're the only one trying to understand things. We've all been there, but many of us (me included) just asked lots of questions on here and eventually started to get to grips with things.

I do hope you realise what an enormous step asking for help here is. There are several members who struggle with disordered eating either all the time, or from time to time. You're not alone.

Reactions: Bebo321

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If one hungers the liver takes over and can change proteins to glucose... try to eat enough food every day (at least 1000 calories), like especially at breakfast, eggs are a really good food for diabetics type 2 and ham too

I got this diabetes type 2 diagnosis 5 month ago , overweight and feeling lousy... now I have lost most of my overweight and feel fine and gotten my blood glucose numbers down.
Low carbs actually helped me loose weight and at the same time control my diabetes

I myself am doing low calorie diet and low carb at the same time, and it has really worked for me... I lost my first 20 pounds on this kind of diet ... but oen must eat too... when I ate too little I didn´t loose ... so eat some good breakfast every day like 2 eggs and a cup of tea... skip the bread totally, Lidl has som fine protein rolls that one can eat instead...

So try to eat less than 130 grams of carbs a day and you´ll if you keep the diet NO SUGAR you´ll find it much easier to get healthy in all ways

but if your blood glucose continues to rise even when on low carb, you must talk to your doctor, and not wait too long

Last edited:

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
and breathe thankyou for underdstanding.to everyone else a massive thankyou. I WILL DO THIS!! I rang my surgery and left a message for the nurse to ring me in the morning which I'm sure she will.can I ask does it matter if I eat the same thing each day? I have trouble eating more than once daily or once every 2 days (I used to eat something only twice a week until I was diagnosed) I only go to the loo for a poo every 10days or so,which again I know is wrong.I now feel I have the determination and the help from this site to conquer this binge/purge cycle.today is the first time I've eaten something 'new' and not vomited.that's a real plus believe me. I really do feel positive,if a little clammy and breathless which is usual for me at this time if night.x x

Reactions: SWUSA_

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
most people with bulimia do do think they have a weight problems too, and maybe most have that..

the good thing about the Low Carb High Fat diet that is the best for diabetic is that it in fact makes it much easier to loose excess weight...

the main thing is to avoid carbs as much as possible, many eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day, and most really do succeed in loosing weight so then 2 goals are reached in the same effort...

I don´t know anything about you , but I am sure a lot of people in here will like to help you with more specific informations

please tell more of yourself and what you need help with...if you can be more specifik..
I am sad to tell you, but you are the only one who can learn to control your diet... but maybe the lchf-diet is really what you have been looking for without knowing about it .. wish you all the best...
Its not a weight thing with me although I could do to lose a stone but I darent address that issue in case I get back into lnto the dark place I was in when I lost weight before. I don't understand how I can be a stone overweight when I eat so little ????

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not a weight thing with me although I could do to lose a stone but I darent address that issue in case I get back into lnto the dark place I was in when I lost weight before. I don't understand how I can be a stone overweight when I eat so little ????

oh thats good... then you should eat enough like maybe about 2000 calories day...but avoid sugar and white flour and carbs in general... get enough to eat so that your liver don´t start producing too much glucose, which it will maybe do a little all the time , because that is a typical problem in diabetes, but especially in the mornings and when one eats too Little

a stone is not much compared to most of us in here, but changing to low carbs will slowly solve that problem too as a side effect..so focus on the ball of not eating carbs..

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jo - what you ate was absolutely fine, so don't worry about those foods. The sugar in your coffee isn't ideal, but this whole thing is a work in progress, so take it steady. As I said in my earlier post, your cold won't be helping matters, but when anyone eats their numbers do go up a bit. It's just a case of how much and for how long.

Look after that cold, and take plenty fluids. Whilst you haven't eaten much today (from what you've written), your body will have got used to running a bit higher than ideal - it happens with undiagnosed or uncontrolled diabetes, and it takes a little while (everyone is different) to come down to desirable levels. Annoyingly, eating too little isn't great either.

Everyone finds grasping control to be a bit of a puzzle, so don't feel you're the only one trying to understand things. We've all been there, but many of us (me included) just asked lots of questions on here and eventually started to get to grips with things.

I do hope you realise what an enormous step asking for help here is. There are several members who struggle with disordered eating either all the time, or from time to time. You're not alone.
Again thankyou.before being diagnosed I thought I knew all there was to know about food but I realise now that I only knew the calorific value of foods.people have said to drink coffee and cream but I only drink black coffee with the one sugar.my boyfriend and I have rid the home of cakes and 'bad things' should I feel a binge coming on.like you said this Is a work in progress and the one promise I make to you people on here is that I will be totally honest be it a good or a bad day.can you tell me also if diabetes reacts with chronic asthma as mine has got worse and I'm now on both ventolin and a brown inhaler and started taking prednisolone to aid my breathing which as I say has worsened especially at night. Here's to the rest of my life !!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again thankyou.before being diagnosed I thought I knew all there was to know about food but I realise now that I only knew the calorific value of foods.people have said to drink coffee and cream but I only drink black coffee with the one sugar.my boyfriend and I have rid the home of cakes and 'bad things' should I feel a binge coming on.like you said this Is a work in progress and the one promise I make to you people on here is that I will be totally honest be it a good or a bad day.can you tell me also if diabetes reacts with chronic asthma as mine has got worse and I'm now on both ventolin and a brown inhaler and started taking prednisolone to aid my breathing which as I say has worsened especially at night. Here's to the rest of my life !!!!

Ideally you would eat a very varied diet, but eating regularly without starving or binging would be a great place to work towards, then on from. Whilst many of us each strive perfection, life quickly tells us perfection is hard to achieve and simply doesn't last. Your food today has been fine. Have a think about the sugar in your coffee - even if it means taking a sweetener for a while.

Set yourself a goal you can strive to reach, not something unattainable, like perfection.

Your cold and your steroid will likely have an impact on your blood numbers so strive for some progress, but don't expect miracles whilst you're full of cold and taking steroids.

One thing my anorexia taught me is that I have a will of iron, and that if I set out my mind to achieve something, I am very highly likely to achieve it. These days I try to concentrate on more positive outcomes than my anorexia would have delivered to my door eventually. I'd wager you're not too dissimilar, and on that basis, I'd say you can do this. It sounds like you're ready to make a difference for yourself.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

prednisolone can raise blood glucose a bit, just to tell you it can make it a bit harder to get blood glucose very low, but don´t think of that right now.. just focus of getting lower in carbs and to get something to eat right after you get up in the mornings, and eggs are an excellent choice, your astma will probably also be better when your blood glucose gets lower

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou my new friends.I have never felt so positive,EVER. This site has been the best thing to happen to me as I don't feel I'm doing this by myself.I don't think I'll have any trouble sleeping tonight and tomorrow's a new day.

Reactions: AndBreathe

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I have asthma and diabetes type 2 also. The prednisolone raises blood sugar in almost everyone who takes it. My blood sugar is always higher when my asthma is acting up. I think you have made good progress today already-just take little steps at a time as you have today. Cream in coffee helps the other foods digest slower-if it sounds good to you I would try that tomorrow.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have asthma and diabetes type 2 also. The prednisolone raises blood sugar in almost everyone who takes it. My blood sugar is always higher when my asthma is acting up. I think you have made good progress today already-just take little steps at a time as you have today. Cream in coffee helps the other foods digest slower-if it sounds good to you I would try that tomorrow.
Thanx.I don't even like milk so know I couldn't tolerate cream but thankyou so much for your comment.I find it quite humbling that so many people want to help me.I've never had this before.I now know I can finally do this.its going to be baby steps but I've never felt so positive ever.when the nurse at the surgery rings me tomorrow I need a chat with her she told me not to bother testing my blood as it would only 'confuse other issues' I don't understand what she meant but I will ask her when I speak to her.many thanks again x x

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What a wonderful day! I don't even know if I'm typing this in the correct place (not too technical I'm afraid)and its a new phone.But,I got up this

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As u can see oops!! I got up this morning,tested my blood,ate 2 boiled eggs and at lunchtime I ate a pear,not much to you but a feast for me.I'm having beans on toast for tea hopefully,but better than anything I've NOT vomited.this day is getting better.Thankyou everyone for giving me the strength to do this.my first blood on asking was 10.7 after my eggs it was 14.9. Can someone please tell me if this was OK.thanx x x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As u can see oops!! I got up this morning,tested my blood,ate 2 boiled eggs and at lunchtime I ate a pear,not much to you but a feast for me.I'm having beans on toast for tea hopefully,but better than anything I've NOT vomited.this day is getting better.Thankyou everyone for giving me the strength to do this.my first blood on asking was 10.7 after my eggs it was 14.9. Can someone please tell me if this was OK.thanx x x

Good to hear you sounding so positive and having eaten today.

Your blood numbers are a bit higher than you'd really like, but to reiterate what was said last night, whilst you're on steroids and you have a cold, whatever the number said, it'd be bound to be a bit more than if you were cold and steroid free, so try not to get too anxious.

To be honest, you just need to get yourself into a routine of eating, ideally fairly regularly. I don't mean every x hours, but just a bit of a routine. Nourishing your body is how it generally works best. Putting it through feast and famine can confuse it. As you're doing that, keep testing and recording the numbers, so that you can go back in a few days and review them.

In reality, many T2s find eating bread a bit tricky, but you need to test that out for yourself. If your numbers are OK, you can continue as you wish. If your numbers are too high, then it's a case of less of it or finding an alternative. However, don't jump to conclusions. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Once your head is in a decent place, and you feel open to new ideas, there are loads of areas on the forum where folks post things they have eaten or made, and whilst at first glance you might think some things look a bit odd, there is loads and loads of delicious food to enjoy.

What sort of things do you enjoy eating, generally? Do you usually eat with your partner, and if so, what sorts of meals do you usually share?

For as long as we have been together my partner and I have always eaten together, and used that time to talk about or days or family, or just "stuff". When I was diagnosed he was concerned we'd lose that, to us valuable, time, so he has modified his way of eating a bit to support me with the changes I've had to make. I really appreciated that, and still do.

When we're not together he's a bit more free with his way of eating, which I have absolutely no issue with, but he has actually told me he feels extremely well, watching his carbs a bit and finds it easier to stay as trim as he likes to. It's amazing what we get used to after a while

Take it steady. You'll be fine.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Hi @Jogreen21 I tagged you to help you find your way back to this (your) thread. I am so glad you are feeling a little better and making progress in both your eating and blood glucose. Just like And Breathe said above you need to work yourself into a regular pattern of eating. Remember to drink plenty of water too-it will help with your blood sugar and asthma-when we are dehydrated the blood is more concentrated too and blood sugar readings will be a little higher and it is harder for lungs to work dehydrated too. You can tag any of us if you would like to talk-just like I tagged you in the beginning of this message. The message from daisy1 above has the blood glucose ranges we are shooting for but as And Breathe said above with your cold and asthma issues right now I would just work on establishing a regular pattern of eating-work on it day by day and let us know how you are doing. Continue to ask questions as they come up for you. Wishing you the best of health!

Last edited: