Burgers burgers burgers

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is it about hamburgers that spike me like crazy? I eat the same weighed portion as I do of all other proteins, including lamb chops ( red meat) and I always spike. It's ridiculous. I assume it's the saturated fat.

I love lamb chops and buy 100% grass fed roast beef slices so I can live with that but this burger thing is annoying. It's nice to order when we go out. Chicken is usually cooked to a pulp and unpalatable haha. Guess it's back to salads.

Anyone else have troubles with fatty meats? No chicken skins either. I does the same thing. Shame as I loved chicken wings and dip

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is it about hamburgers that spike me like crazy? I eat the same weighed portion as I do of all other proteins, including lamb chops ( red meat) and I always spike. It's ridiculous. I assume it's the saturated fat.

I love lamb chops and buy 100% grass fed roast beef slices so I can live with that but this burger thing is annoying. It's nice to order when we go out. Chicken is usually cooked to a pulp and unpalatable haha. Guess it's back to salads.

Anyone else have troubles with fatty meats? No chicken skins either. I does the same thing. Shame as I loved chicken wings and dip
Strange. It happens even if you through everything else away except the meat and lettuce?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How big of a spike are we talking about @Kristin251 ?
Only about 25 (US) but I don't get any spike with other proteins. Same meal composition as always. And it was only 2 oz!!!!!!!
Strange. It happens even if you through everything else away except the meat and lettuce?
i eat the same macros at every meal and every time I have burger I spike and all of my other proteins I stay steady or drop a hair.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Only about 25 (US) but I don't get any spike with other proteins. Same meal composition as always. And it was only 2 oz!!!!!!!

TBH your worrying over nothing, a 1.4mmol/l (25mg/dl) rise is perfectly acceptable and is no reason to exclude a food item from your diet (unless you want to of course).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can you be certain that it was 100% beef and no binder or filler?

I suppose a proper test would be to mince some steak and make your own.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i eat the same macros at every meal and every time I have burger I spike and all of my other proteins I stay steady or drop a hair.
Oh dear. Burgers are a necessary evil if I'm out and can't find anything else. We don't have many options, without losing one.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
TBH your worrying over nothing, a 1.4mmol/l (25mg/dl) rise is perfectly acceptable and is no reason to exclude a food item from your diet (unless you want to of course).
I'm not worried or excluding it. It's just annoying and can't figure out why. It happens EVERY time. One would think lamb chops would do it too. I guess I'd just have to split bolus which is no big deal
Oh dear. Burgers are a necessary evil if I'm out and can't find anything else. We don't have many options, without losing one.
It was 100% grass fed ground beef. I make the patties myself. Definitely no fillers.

Reactions: dbr10

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not worried or excluding it. It's just annoying and can't figure out why. It happens EVERY time. One would think lamb chops would do it too. I guess I'd just have to split bolus which is no big deal

Different foods have different reactions, I find high-fat foods (eaten in quantity) causes insulin resistance for several hours after eating, but my point is a 25mg/dl rise in bg levels isn't a crazy spike by any stretch of the imagination.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you make your own hamburgers or buy them ready made?

If you made your own hamburgers did you mince the meat yourself?

I am it thinking it could be how much the meat has been minced if factory made, as very fine mincing could result in faster absorption of the protein.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Different foods have different reactions, I find high-fat foods (eaten in quantity) causes insulin resistance for several hours after eating, but my point is a 25mg/dl rise in bg levels isn't a crazy spike by any stretch of the imagination.
Out of curiosity, when you say high fat foods do you include all fat or moreso animal fat like meat and dairy? Plant fats like avocado mayo olive oil have zero effect. Nuts CAN make me IR but not really raise me. Animal fat like lots of butter, bacon, chicken skin, fatty beef always make me IR and sometimes for days.
Did you make your own hamburgers or buy them ready made?

If you made your own hamburgers did you mince the meat yourself?

I am it thinking it could be how much the meat has been minced if factory made, as very fine mincing could result in faster absorption of the protein.
I don't buy ready made ground anything. My co op minces it in house daily. There are Zero fillers and it want finally minced, rather more coursly. Stringy.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Out of curiosity, when you say high fat foods do you include all fat or moreso animal fat like meat and dairy? Plant fats like avocado mayo olive oil have zero effect. Nuts CAN make me IR but not really raise me. Animal fat like lots of butter, bacon, chicken skin, fatty beef always make me IR and sometimes for days.

Saturated fats mainly @Kristin251

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have started to buy high-fat mince to make my own burgers mainly because with lots of spices mixed it they are so much nicer than ready made burgers. As the length and timing of my post meal walk changes, I can't say if I get a small spike from them.

frankbegbie

Best make your own burgers then.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Saturated fats mainly @Kristin251
Thanks for that. Glad it's not just me!!! And even more happy my lamb chops with visible fat cut off work!!! I'll take those over a burger any day. I like my organic grass fed roast beef slices as well. No spike at all from either.

I don't think I digest all that animal fat as well either. Kind of just sits there. Haha

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 - Have you tried making a ground lamb, or ground pork hamburger> It could potentially be the grinding/minced nature of the meat processing causing you the issue, a bit like fruit smoothies, or pulp can be trickier than natural, uncooked or unprocessed fruit.