BUT WE'VE GONE TO THE MOON!?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your best opportunity would be to wait until our PM needs a cure. Wait a minute! We have.
Lets put pressure on her to get this one in the bag. Cure type 1 and type2s cure will follow.
Whose any good at starting a petition?

At the very least the woman should know something about diet ! and what rubbish the food guidelines are - does anyone know if she's ever commented on food, fats or carbs?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There has been some research and science based surgical operations on dogs indicating that one of the core points in the creation of diabetes type 2 is a signaling disturbance between the kidneys and the liver, as when the scientist do cut a certain main nerve between the kidney and liver in the diabetic research dogs their diabetic symptoms seems to disapear. They stop being diabetic in other words ....

This is interesting but there is a big step going to cut essential nerves permanently in humans. Because of many etical problems like humans much longer life expectancy and because this nerve maybe have many other important jobs signaling in our body ad a Whole.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2016...-sensitivity-in-type-2-diabetes-93640758.html

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the very least the woman should know something about diet ! and what rubbish the food guidelines are - does anyone know if she's ever commented on food, fats or carbs?

Theresa May has Type 1. I imagine she probably eats a moderate level of carbs like most Type 1s. She would have to know a fair bit about diet to adjust her insulin, both basal doses and bolus ratios.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then maybe she could be pursuaded to throw her weight behind a revision tp the UK eating guidlines if we made a concetted attempt?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then maybe she could be pursuaded to throw her weight behind a revision tp the UK eating guidlines if we made a concetted attempt?

To be fair, the appropriate diet for a Type 1 like the PM could be very different to an appropriate diet for a Type 2.

The important thing is that dieticians are confident in adapting advice to the individual :) There's no one magic diet for all as we all have different needs :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand it's very different but it does illustrate the need to tailor the guidance to the person which currently is not made obvious and being an intelligent woman I doubt she has not looked at type 2 as well if only because of the size of the budget required to look after the victims !

Many people on here have reduced / eliminated medications as a result of diet. Maybe some kind of petition where the people signing it not only put there signature but couple it with a lifetime cost of an average reduction in diabetes medications ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@CherryAA she may not have researched type 2 nor read much about type 2. Her concern will always be for type 1, or should be.
She does look good and i have alot of respect for her as a woman with type 1. An excellent role model.

I think ive realised she wont be worrying too much about people like me who has totally different needs.
As long as she's well. I'm happy enough!
I'm not a conservative fan but respect comes from a different angle.

Maybe if she's in power long enough we could ask her to have a look into it. Shame she has more pressing problems to sort first.

Reactions: Struma and azure

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well one of her most pressing problems is the NHS and one of its biggest problems is type 2 diabetes as we've seen on all the recent tv programs - so what better time to try and point out how they could help reduce costs ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Maybe some kind of petition where the people signing it not only put there signature but couple it with a lifetime cost of an average reduction in diabetes medications ?

You could start a petition off @CherryAA and organise a group of like-minded people to campaign for change.

Reactions: azure

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
well one of her most pressing problems is the NHS and one of its biggest problems is type 2 diabetes as we've seen on all the recent tv programs - so what better time to try and point out how they could help reduce costs ?
I see. Yes I'm sure she'll be interested in saving money. Good point.
She seems frugal to me so I'm sure she'll be interested. ;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Perhaps she could just emphasise the need for individual adjustment? I think it's important to remember that no one diet suits all.

Personally, I like to read up on diet and make my own decisions, but I can see your point about saving money.

Of course, the PM can't win as if she, with her experience, announced more money for research into a cure for Type 1, then she'd be accused of self-interest even though her aims might be to solve this Type 1 puzzle for the large number of,people of all ages living with it worldwide.

To my mind, the best hope is people with the scientific knowledge, independence and experience to think outside the box and find a cure @GrantGam1337 I'm not sure if identifying the cause is necessary in order to do that, but that might be revealed along the way and allow us to prevent more cases.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Logically , the people to do it would be the organisers of this site,because, it could be something where they did some simple calculations based on costings ( of which I know nothing) , some extrapolations for the UK as a whole given the numbers and then setting up a petition -

using
https://www.gov.uk/petition-government

the petition could be for example to demand the withdrawal of the healthy eating plate on the grounds it is not healthy and the resulting cost to the NHS is estimated at x million. The goal would be to get 100,000 signatures and force a debate in parliament. This site is big enough to do that. I personally am not :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'd have to have an awful lot of evidence to withdraw the healthy eating plate. I think it would be wiser to add guideline ranges and keep them broad so that all needs can be catered for.

While some people might, for example, be advised to eat only 60g carbs a day, others might need more. As I've said, there's no one good diet that suits everyone so keeping guidelines broad would allow dieticians to tailor advice more precisely to the individual, taking into account things like medical conditions, age, weight, reproductive status,,etc, etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
take a look at the guidelines for Argentina, whilst they have still fall for the saturated fat possible myth, the actual guidelines are a good way better than the UK - basically eat real foods- which for very many people would be enough.

I'm not sure they are any different (a couple of points highlighted in bold):

• Eat in moderation and include a variety of foods in all meals.
  • Consume milk, yogurt or cheese daily; they are needed by people of all ages.
  • Eat fruits and vegetables of all kinds and colours every day.
  • Eat a wide variety of red and white meat, removing visible fat.
  • Avoid frying foods and using cooking fats.
  • Decrease your consumption of sugar and salt.
  • Increase your consumption of a variety of breads, cereals, pasta, flour and pulses.
  • Reduce your consumption of alcoholic beverages. Children, adolescents, and pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid it.
  • Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
  • Enjoy meal times and the opportunity they present for sharing time with others.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They look quite similar to the UK ones with the mention of sat fat and carbs, but I agree that maybe an emphasis on real food is good. The Change4Life programme tends to do that more, as does the Five A Day, which points people towards fresh fruit and veg.

I think,it's also important to bear in mind that some people fail to understand the importance or reasoning behind certain advice, so are less inclined to follow it.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Back to a potential cure for diabetes. I totally agree with the comments regarding pharmaceutical companies, profits would plunge dramatically if cures for Type 1 & 2 were found and Abbott will need to sell large numbers of Libre sensors before they make a profit on their investment.
As for research I think a cure might be brought closer if there is much greater international collaboration on diabetes projects, how many different groups are studying the same area at the same time all spending generously donated cash. Part of the problem is that naturally researchers will put promising published research on their CV's when looking to advance their careers and who can blame them. Lack of government interest in research and naturally emphasis on treatment via the overstretched NHS.

moonshot

@milesrf It needs the researcher / s to be able to spit the data they need crunched in to small chunks so that it can be downloaded as work units also.

Perhaps if we are lucky someone may see this thread and act on it with WGC and BOINC.

Looks like its your lucky day. I am part of a group that runs a non profit that uses Boinc, and we are partnered with the WCG. I need more information on the data that needs to be distributed.
I must warn you WCG is SLOW, but if it can be computed on mobile devices it will move fast....

Our app is nothing special, but the problem with BOINC is that its not focused, hard to use, not clear what is going on. That is one of the biggest problems, the second problem is that the researchers do not have the tools to do what is needed. Last is HIPPA in USA. We are also partnering with usignite and 18 cities in the USA. All our code is open source, so it can be reskinned to be used for Diabetes research (or anything) too.

Shoot me info and I will get some Due Diligence done. This problem looks like it could use a supercomputer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

This problem looks like it could use a supercomputer.
I have put the quad core box I would have used, back into crunching Mapping Cancer Markers and Smash Childhood Cancer work units with Boinc and WCG

When the work units are available my graphic cards get work to crunch.