1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Butter vs olive oil

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by Kristin251, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

i know butter is a MCT. What I don't know is how it effects bg and satiety. Olive oil is of course pure fat but it does zip, nada, ziltch to slow any bg rise nor does it satisfy hunger. Does butter?? I can't just use olive oil as a fat or I'm starving it seems like water. Mayo is slightly better than oil and avocado is much better. I wonder where butter fits in?
    I put butter and garlic olive oil in my turkey and mushroom gravy. I'll see how it goes with the addition of butter. Of course I plopped some avo chunks on too. I'm just not satisfied without it and wonder if butter would work kind of the same.

Looks like I have some experimenting to do. I HATE being hungry!

2. Kristin251

Actually I guess what I'm wondering is if animal fat like chicken skin, bacon and cheese make me IR, would butter too? Or tdoesn the MCT component make a difference?

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey! I like butter & olive oil..

But does animal fat make one insulin resistant? Or just a case of slowing down the digestion...??

Not trying to turn this into "a thing." :cool: Promise!

4. Kristin251

GOOD POINT!!! It is harder for me to digest. I feel fuller longer and that's not always a good thing! I don't like being hungry but I don't like being full. I just like being....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook