Buying overseas?

albannach2

Hi
I am off for my hospital appt today to try and persuade my consultant that the pump is for me and btw, would he like to pay for it and the supplies as well. In case his response is no, which I've heard is quite usual I wondered if it is possible to buy a pump overseas, would it be cheaper? Plus would it work in the same way as the UK ones? Has anyone ever done this, keen to know?

albannach2

Hi Sarah Q, I was just going to mail you and ask the question anyway, but see you've responded already, thanks.

Ah yes, good point ... a colleague suggested it as a cheaper way of getting hold of one if you do not have a generous PCT, spose I was just trying to cover all eventualities. mmm, food for thought, worth thinking about. Best of luck on your waiting game, hope its not too long :)

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
To be honest... i would bother even hinting that you're willing to pay the cost of the pump untill you get a flat out no! If they catch a sniff that you might pay for it then that's probably the path you'll end up going down. I would just ask for the pump and see what they say first.

You might be suprised like i was! The dr brought the pump subject up and i didn't need to convince him at all that i needed one. He just asked about my hypo's and said he's happy to refer me for a pump provided i try a new injection site first. (guess what, that's not actually working!)

albannach2

Hi, well I had my mtg at the hospital yesterday and after a bit of a struggle, I managed to persuade them that in fact a pump would be a good option, and even better they'll fund it all, success at last, am dead plsd I have to say. Although funny isn't it, even though you know in your own mind that a pump is the best option for you, they even then tried to suggest that I might like to do any or all of the following:

a) drop your evening levemir dose - already done which they would have known if they'd read my notes first
b) do the CGMS monitoring again as there weren't enough results, that was a flat no on my part
c) take part in some of their trials for 10 weeks and see the results from that were (again a flat no)

They say they understand how frustrating it all is etc, etc, but as we all know nobody knows what its like to wake up at 3am in the morning with a blood sugar of 1.5 apart from you. Anyway, I will stop ranting now ... just pleased that within 3 weeks I'll be a pumping, with new challenges I am sure, but not hopefully as many as doing MDI and night time hypos.

albannach2

Hi Sarah
Yes am dead chuffed after the battle yesterday, phew :lol:
Well they did suggest that they could see me at the end of November and I suggested that I was off work the week beginning 20th October, perhaps that would be a more ideal time as in (yes a much better week for me), thankfully they could fit me in. Funny though I'm actually really looking forward to starting it, I know it'll be tricky to begin with but am hoping it will give me a new lease of life.
I have to say Im glad I did so much research like joining this forum and looking at the pumps etc beforehand as I don't need to go through the motions with a saline drip which is much easier, so roll on 23rd October ....
Ideally I wanted the cozmo or animas, but no go on that one, the only one they offer as a freebie is the Meditronic 722 - so we shall see. Yep I have the book highly recommended by you before, so now I can read it with a vengeance. Any advice for starting btw?

albannach2

Hi
Yes I know which day I'l be starting and they've advised that I cut my morning levemir dose in half that morning as I'm seeing them at 11.30am and should be done by 1.30pm all being well. Im not so sure on your point about how fats affect bs - the docs haven't mentioned this to me at all before, but have seen a few postings about it, can you fill me or advise where I can find out more?
Always got plenty of strips, but good point will make sure I have extras just in case. Out of interest, how do you get the supplies (eg., cannulas etc), presumably from the gp as usual?
You mention nutri scales - curious are they better than any other type of scales or are these just the ones that work? I use scales now anyway, assume these would be ok as well?