Byetta & Driving

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if driving licence is restricted when taking Byetta?

I have recently informed the DVLA that I was taking Lantus (waited until I thought I was definitely staying on it) - DVLA have asked for my licence back and said they will issue one every three years subject to medical information. Now I am about to come off the Lantus (!!) and start Byetta and was just wondering if there are similar restrictions whilst taking Byetta.

Jude :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jude.

Short answer is no if you are not on Insulin and providing you comply with all the rules.

Here is a link to the latest DVLA medical advice.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/medical/aagv1.pdf

if you need it explaining PM me. It is my area of expertise.

Extract: February 2009.
Treatment with Exenatide (Byetta) or Gliptins
Exenatide has been licensed as a treatment for use in type 2 diabetes, in combination with metformin and or sulphonylureas. Trials published to date show a small but significant risk of hypoglycaemia when exenatide is used in conjunction with a sulphonylurea. It would also appear that when the gliptins (DPP4 inhibitors) are used with sulphonylureas, the hypoglycaemia risk is similarly raised.

The increased risk of hypoglycaemia from exenatide or gliptins when used in combination with sulphonylureas is such that these are felt to be a potentially high risk treatment for drivers holding Group 2 (LGV or PCV) licences and that individual assessment will be required.

Group 2 drivers are required to notify DVLA if they have diabetes treated with tablets. If they are then started on exenatide or a gliptin they are only required to notify DVLA if this is in combination with a sulphonylurea.

The use of exenatide or gliptins currently carries no specific driving restrictions for Group 1 (car or motorcycle) licences.

Ken.
:D