Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
Yesterday I visited an orthopeadic consultant after having 3 cortisone injections
in my left shoulder.
1st one worked great - 2nd was only good 4months then it came back - 3rd was useless/didnt
improve it at all .
Had 2 ultrasound scans done plus numerous xrays too. [prior to this appointment]
Movement has got 'more restricted' with my left arm .
Cant reach up, wash/comb hair properly, put clothes on,open shut car doors,undo a jar/can,
lift/carry heavy things, reach out or sleep on left arm etc...
Too painful to do :(

Saw bones man yesterday - as it 'has' calcified around tendons and is over 1.5cm thick
Cortisone wont be successful anymore he says, need surgery now.
It isnt a frozen shoulder [I asked if this was the case]
It can be diabetes related but its too thick and old crystalised so may not be [how can I work that one out!] :think:
They will try keyhole surgery, chipping it away as its set crystalised :eek:

So I am sheduled for this in january , am going for the Brachial Plexus Block as
am with risk of complications. [infection, upper respiratory] so general aneasthetic is out [my choice]
They will work together with the diabetes team, ortho team, to do the op ...
[diabetes team will prep me before op, also after op with my BG levels insulin needs etc. ]

Had the choice of which hospital to attend , type of anaesthesia [chose the block]
They will protect me during and after surgery with antibiotics i.v against infection [am vunerable to these]
Already had my pre-op prep tests done yesterday morning .
MRSA tests, bloods, weight, ECG, sister filled in my meds history also.
Was asked to bring my own BG kit and insulins in [can KEEP them with me and do these MYSELF]
Got a hospital PASSPORT to take in also !

Was so pleased and impressed with their care and handling of everything .
Had been worried about a few things prior to the appointment as 'knew' it was going to be the case [surgery]
for me.

My question is - has anyone else had this done?
Was it successful ?
As they say it may need another 'op' if unsuccessful .
Cant remember anyone having this done on the forum .

Anna.

iHs

Hello Anna

Try not to worry about the nerve block.. Its fab... you wake up not feeling a thing. I had this done for one of my frozen shoulders which ended up needing to be manipulated 3 times before it righted itself. The first MUA, I woke up in agony and needed morphine but the second MUA I asked the anaesthetic bloke to have morphine handy and he said that he would use a nerve block on me so that I wouldn't feel anything. The only thing with nerve blocks is that your arm will be dead for about 6-10hrs after the surgery so if I was you I would get either an Accu chek Compact plus, Accu chek Mobile. These bg meters will just about allow you to do a bg test one handed as the finger pricker is attached to the side. and you wont have to mess about opening up a tub of strips...... Have a look at the website..

Eating food might be tricky so make sure you have some biscuits and glucose sweets or whatever with you in yr locker stored loose in a bag so that you dont need to undo anything. I'm sure one of the nurses looking after you should be able to cut up yr food on the dinner plate so that you can eat it using a fork (one handed) and hopefully they will help you with your insulin pens.

Good luck anyway.... Hope it all goes ok for you and look forward to reading about your experience of hospital care in the ward......

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sounds like brilliant care Anna
Now let's hope they do as well with controlling your diabetes, whilst you are in their care
Hana

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
iHs said:
Hello Anna

Try not to worry about the nerve block.. Its fab... you wake up not feeling a thing. I had this done for one of my frozen shoulders which ended up needing to be manipulated 3 times before it righted itself. The first MUA, I woke up in agony and needed morphine but the second MUA I asked the anaesthetic bloke to have morphine handy and he said that he would use a nerve block on me so that I wouldn't feel anything. The only thing with nerve blocks is that your arm will be dead for about 6-10hrs after the surgery so if I was you I would get either an Accu chek Compact plus, Accu chek Mobile. These bg meters will just about allow you to do a bg test one handed as the finger pricker is attached to the side. and you wont have to mess about opening up a tub of strips...... Have a look at the website..

Eating food might be tricky so make sure you have some biscuits and glucose sweets or whatever with you in yr locker stored loose in a bag so that you dont need to undo anything. I'm sure one of the nurses looking after you should be able to cut up yr food on the dinner plate so that you can eat it using a fork (one handed) and hopefully they will help you with your insulin pens.

Good luck anyway.... Hope it all goes ok for you and look forward to reading about your experience of hospital care in the ward......

Hi iHs ...
Thanks for your interesting reply.
What is an MUA ? out of interest .
Didnt they try cortisone injections with your frozen shoulder ?
Are you asleep during a nerve block ? If not - wonder if can be sedated ?

They did say I would be put in a sling for a bit after the op to prevent me hurting my arm with
it flopping about .
Good point you have raised about - taking my blood sugar levels and doing the insulin shots...
Will ask for the nurse to assist me with these, hard to do one handed :eh:
Will try to get all my glucose tabs/biscuits/jelly babies,juice etc - set up pre-prepared before the op.

Its awkward now as a diabetic to go into hospital for any treatment/surgery isnt it ?
Not as easy as used to be - just in and out without having to think about the diabetes maintenance required!
More complex and forward planning needed.

Hana - this is what concerns me - they give me good patient care and diabetes help/care during ...
Will certainly let you know how it transpires .
As its ages [years] 2008 since last in hospital with pneumonia/then contracted a septis infection.

Do they actually have diabetic menu's? available? reliable to use?
Have visions of both my hubby and mother bringing in my favorite lite bite meals.
I have filled in the Hospital Passport ready to take in . [can keep this with me am told]

They have said they will all work together as a team to plan the best options for me...
This is positive for me - and they are giving me choice with things too .
Am nervous as the last time was in hospital - I became diabetic as results of the serious infections I had !!! :thumbdown:
So I am dreading it all , they understand my fears as it was impacted from the pneumonia/septis.
Had septis 4 or 5 times now according to my mother :problem:

I even suggested leaving things be - was told it would end up with me losing, much use of my left shoulder and arm.
Tendon is at risk of being torn/ripped apart left as it is.
So will just have to be brave and get it done!

Anna.

iHs

Hi

An MUA stands for manipulation under anaesthetic. I would imagine that unless you are put under, you will be sedated a bit to help you relax. Might pay for you to take an MP3 player and earphones so that you can listen to some nice music while the surgeon operates on your shoulder.

Regarding meal menus ..... I dont think there will be a special menu for diabetics. You will just have to tick boxes as to what food you want to eat and hopefully you will be able to choose the portion size... I did fairly well but then again it was about 14 years ago when I was last in hospital for frozen shoulders.. I usually got what I ticked on the menu... being small helping of potatoe, large helping of veg.. and fresh fruit as pudding..

Do think about getting an all in one bg meter as I mentioned above. Nurses are fairly busy so try and do the bg test yourself if you can, especially if you are a bit worried.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
iHs said:
Hi

Do think about getting an all in one bg meter as I mentioned above. Nurses are fairly busy so try and do the bg test yourself if you can, especially if you are a bit worried.

Guess what - I actually 'did' have an accucheck mobile meter last year [brand new unused]
I gave it away to a Type2 who couldnt get a meter and worked outdoors.
Will chew this thought you mention over - nurses are busy as you say ...
As I am with a hurdle to self test if no-one around to assist me :think:

Will consider asking my lovely DSN if she would help me with this one , she often gets reps
leaving her stuff.
Will explain all things to her - seee what she suggest or can do ?

Thanks for the heads up and pointers you have suggested iHs .
Much appreciated :thumbup:

Anna.

iHs

I would imagine that your DSN will be able to give you an all in one meter. A DSNs stock cupboard is a sight to see.... loads and loads of everything.... meters, pens etc I was going to mention a new all in one meter advertised on the home page ... Mendor Discreet but looking at it I think its a 2 hand job whereas the Accu chek meters could be used 1 handed.

Forgot to say.... cortisone jabs were never offered to me... Ortho consultant wanted to wait and allow for time to be the healer but in the end did some MUAs which only worked on the last one cos of his 'touch' (he did the MUA himself instead of his underlings) and with the lovely help of a really good physio who was excellent, my shoulder sorted itself out and I was so pleased to be able to lift my arm up in the air again.. Had to spend loads of time at home though doing exercises like walking my arm up the wall. A good physio is key to success.....

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh crikey - wonder what my DSN stock cupboard is like :think:

The hospital dept of ortho has already put a referral in for my physiotherapy.
Then I will get into the system faster :thumbup: Their words on thurs appt...

Am glad your arm is okay now and is back to normal again - as it 'is' such a hindrance
when you cant even do the simplest of things .
Soooo frustrating :x

Anna.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Anna, dont know anything about your condition or the nerve block anaesthetic thing either but want to wish you a trouble free operation and a speedy recovery.

ps oh, and a Merry Christmas too :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you sid for your kind thoughts .

Hope you and your family have a lovely christmas too.

[wonder if they will let me take my laptop in ? hozzy can try do keyboard with
just one hand and finger ! :p ]

Anna.x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi All.

Update on this ...
Heard today the 'op' is sheduled for Weds March 20th.
All is sorted my meds needs and requirements etc...
Be in for a few days - they will keep their eye on me.

Will be kept covered with antibiotics during and after the op .
To protect and assist me with any infection. [am prone to these]

My ortho consultant himself will be doing my op , plus an consultant aneasthetist
will do my brachial plexus block .
I will get my own named nurse who will be familar with my medical history and needs.
They will assess the situation when 'in my shoulder' as I may need
it debriding [scrape the calcification] if unable to do it via keyhole surgery.

Am taking in my completed hospital passport ...
This has all my meds/insulin needs in.
Plus my dietry requirements and any allergys etc.

I can keep my blood sugar test kit and insulin kit on me . :thumbup:
Will have to have assistance with all of this 'after the op'
Not sure how I will like this - as am so used to doing it myself . :shifty:

Am positive to get the chance to get back to full mobilty movement with my shoulder .
As I am unable to use it properly or get a painfree full nights sleep as it is now.
Hubby says I am grumpier in the night and early mornings , [probably true!]

Worse thing is - the inflammation from it all - has kept my BG levels spiked up .
Have had to keep titrateing insulin to compensate .
Felt like a losing battle some days!

Now I know my actual date - I can plan positively ahead :)

Anna.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope the operation all goes well Anna :thumbup:

Sweetana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had both frozen shoulders at the same time, back in 2008. I took painkillers (useless), did physiotherapy (painful and useless), shockwave therapy (expensive, painful and useless) and finaly in despair I did acupuncture and guess waht... IT WORKED!!!!! I couldn't sleep for more than 6 months wich was the time it took me to get better... 3 years after I didn't recover my full arms movements but it's almost as it was before and I have no pain, execpt when the weather changes from warm and sunny to cold and rainy. Yes, I was referred to surgery for MAU and cortisone shots but I refused because I found it too risky and the doctor didn't guarantee it would work, so.... I got scared and "declined the offer". Thank God I found acunpuncture.. Well I guess we're all used to needles, so... :)
I hope everything went ok with you.

maggie2

Has anyone had experience with diet for dissolving calcification in shoulder. Have been told it can help. Can find nothing on google to guide me. Am desperate as getting very little sleep due to intense pain and here in france it is so difficult to find help. Your comments would be appreciated.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
maggie2 said:
Has anyone had experience with diet for dissolving calcification in shoulder. Have been told it can help. Can find nothing on google to guide me. Am desperate as getting very little sleep due to intense pain and here in france it is so difficult to find help. Your comments would be appreciated.

VERY interested in this thread! I 'discovered' that my right shoulder was getting bad last year when I found that I couldn't reach up as high as with the left. I put it down to wear and tear. (60 year old builder) I also found that my neck was getting worse around the same time. I now find it difficult to look up. Could the two things be connected?

I have osteoarthritis in most of my joints. It doesn't bother me too much now I am semi retired, apart from my big toes which are really bad all the time. In the past I would rub pure lavendar oil into my joints, NEVER neat oil, dilute it with bath oil or another oil first. I also used to take bubble baths (bubbles keep the water warm!) with a few drops of lavendar oil in the water. It helped a lot.

I am almost vegan, I drink milk, so I can't take any remedies that contain fish oil or animal products.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi All .

There is another thread with all my after 'op' posts on it somewhere !
Will have a rummage , see if can locate it , will post link here for you .

Am unsure about any diet to improve calcification of shoulder as in my case
it was too thick [over 1.5cm thickened/ twisted around my tendon too]
So needed debrideing and the tendon needed releasing surgically .
Since the op it has taken me a lot of physio and my own effort's to get the mobility back properly .

Just lately I have finally been able sleep on my left side, been 'bliss' . [unable to do this for so long]
Am able to shower ,wash hair and style it properly again, drive using gears/handbrake painfree ,
dress myself and put coat etc on . Lift and clean things higher up in the home .

My surgeon did say that there is a strong link with diabetes and calcification .
It is something they do see very often with diabetic patients .
And you can also get it bilaterally [ in both arms]
Plus I was told by him there is a good chance it can reoccur again :shock:
He has done a few diabetics 3,4,5, times over , due to it reoccurring in them again .
Hope it isn't me again - as I have worked so hard to get it mobile again !!!

The lower the blood sugar levels being kept constant/steady 'lowered' - the less it can/will reoccur he said .

Osteoarthritis in your bones plus the calcification can indeed affect your neck .
Restricting and limiting your movements and head/arm mobility considerably .
Have you been referred to anyone with regards to your calcification shoulder joint?

Once the calcium is broken/shattered/debrided 'surgically' the body is very good at getting rid of the calcium .
[sadly a debride 'scrape' of the rotator cuff creates a LOT of inflammation that can take weeks/months to reduce and heal ]
The rest is simply time , it all needs time to heal and LOADS of physiotherapy .
Heat on shoulder to pre-warm the shoulder prior to exercise then cool chilled pads on it afterwards
to reduce the inflammation .
I needed to do things in small steps and stages , use painrelief tablets and anti-inflammatory sports gels after physio/exercise .
KEEP moving it to induce 'progress' - lots of my own sheer determination helped also !

It hasn't been easy or pleasant to experience but now I am well on my way back to a fully functioning shoulder
painfree - it HAS all been sooooo worth it .
It is when you lose rotation mobility and lifting power to do the simplest of things in life / home chores .
I am grateful for the harsh surgery that was needed and the only option for myself .

Hope this can help .

Anna .

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Thank you Anna. It seems that my next port of call is the doctor. I have refused cortisone injections in the past for carpal tunnel in my wrist. I think I fixed it myself by changing my diet. But how on earth would I have known what to do? I do know that the doctor at the time said injections or lose the use of the wrist. No injections and the wrist is 90% OK. I often wonder if becoming vegetarian had anything to do with it. I also refused cortisone for my big toes, but it is so tempting!
Wishing you a full recovery.