Calling all lovers of & members from Cornwall.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks. I've decided to take a break to Cornwall with my other half. We plan on doing some hiking, sight seeing & generally chilling out. I hate anywhere TOO touristy or overcrowded. And, as it's my first time to this part of England, I'm hoping to get some info from members who know Cornwall well. Either by living there, or visiting regularly. I'd like to see the "secret" nooks & crannies of this beautiful county that only the locals are aware of. A nice secluded bay, lake or river where swimming is safe. A not too difficult walking route of up to 5 miles. A place "not to be missed." Anything really. All ideas will be most welcome. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Oh, and just in case you want to keep your secret Cornwall exactly that, please feel free to send me a PM. Thanks everyone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sounds lovely, I am so envious ;) but have a fantastic time, as our country has some of the most beautiful countrysides in the world :joyful:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a few suggestions on the north coast or near
Best to view them first on Google Earth street view
Check them out online too

Smokey Joe's is a fab truckers' caff at Blackwater, near Scorrier. If you like truckers' caffs. I do! They are so versatile with their menus.

Go past Padstow to St Merryn (it's very small) and maybe have a meal at the Farmer's Arms or fish'n'chips from the nearby chippie for anyone non-diabetic. Then go towards Constantine Bay, past Trevose golf club, and park opposite the Constantine Bay stores. Walk back toward the golf club and on the bend of the road turn left down Tamarisk Lane (quite well concealed till you get to it). It tracks behind all the posh bungalows with long gardens right down to the middle of Constantine Bay where you can turn right and walk over to Booby's Bay and on along the SW coastal path if you want.

Tucked away inland at St Mawgan is the Falcon Inn (B&B) with a garden. Very secluded in the deep Cornish countryside.

If you must visit St Ives, park in the station yard at St Erth and get return tickets on the little train. Much more fun than driving.

If you can navigate, go round the back of St Ives across Lelant Downs to Cripplesease (love that one) and Towednack to join the wonderful coastal B3306. Maybe stop at Zennor with its little museum and the Tinners Arms.

If you fancy a hike up to the mighty tors from here there are several footpaths through the gorse (ouch if you're still in shorts)

A bit further on there is a good hotel called the Gurnard's Head, offering stopover bargains atm I think.

Then go all the way to St Just and explore to your hearts' content.

Hope you have a great time!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Bude end of North Cornwall less tourist orientated (less expensive) coastal foot paths are fab as well as long as you like heights :)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just a few suggestions on the north coast or near
Best to view them first on Google Earth street view
Check them out online too

Smokey Joe's is a fab truckers' caff at Blackwater, near Scorrier. If you like truckers' caffs. I do! They are so versatile with their menus.

Go past Padstow to St Merryn (it's very small) and maybe have a meal at the Farmer's Arms or fish'n'chips from the nearby chippie for anyone non-diabetic. Then go towards Constantine Bay, past Trevose golf club, and park opposite the Constantine Bay stores. Walk back toward the golf club and on the bend of the road turn left down Tamarisk Lane (quite well concealed till you get to it). It tracks behind all the posh bungalows with long gardens right down to the middle of Constantine Bay where you can turn right and walk over to Booby's Bay and on along the SW coastal path if you want.

Tucked away inland at St Mawgan is the Falcon Inn (B&B) with a garden. Very secluded in the deep Cornish countryside.

If you must visit St Ives, park in the station yard at St Erth and get return tickets on the little train. Much more fun than driving.

If you can navigate, go round the back of St Ives across Lelant Downs to Cripplesease (love that one) and Towednack to join the wonderful coastal B3306. Maybe stop at Zennor with its little museum and the Tinners Arms.

If you fancy a hike up to the mighty tors from here there are several footpaths through the gorse (ouch if you're still in shorts)

A bit further on there is a good hotel called the Gurnard's Head, offering stopover bargains atm I think.

Then go all the way to St Just and explore to your hearts' content.

Hope you have a great time!

Wow! That's wonderful. Can't wait. You're very kind @DeejayR. I'm so looking forward to checking out some, if not all of your suggestions. :D

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bude end of North Cornwall less tourist orientated (less expensive) coastal foot paths are fab as well as long as you like heights :)

Thank you @CarbsRok. I imagine the coastal foot paths give some pretty spectacular views. Luckily, I'm not TOO afraid of heights. The experience will outweigh the fear anyway. Very kind of you.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
image.jpg

image.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 7 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Polperro https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polperro
The Hurlers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurlers_(stone_circles)
The Cheesewring https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesewring
Tintagel Post Office http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tintagel-old-post-office/
St Nectans Glen http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/St Nectan's Glen.htm

And i would have to go to the Eden Project and Lost Gardens of Heligan, even though they are touristy.

Don't waste your time with Jamaica Inn.

Second all of that - also Mousehole, Mullion Cove and many more little fishing villages/coves, particularly on the south coast. Now that the schools are back, everywhere will be quieter and less crowded. On the north coast Port Isaac (where they film Doc Martin) is also worth a look, as is Boscastle, near Tintagel. If you belong to the YHA, there is a fabulous hostel on the Harbour front (I was going to say in the harbour, but that's not quite what I meant) and I think it's all recovered after the horrific floods a few years back. I agree that Jamaica Inn is somewhere to avoid, as is Land's End - nothing much to see, and a fortune to park there.

If you're into modern art, the Tate St Ives is a must-see.

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you say you'll be away three months? Should be enough, just about :)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you say you'll be away three months? Should be enough, just about :)

Lol. Well, I'm gonna definitely need more than one trip to pack it all in. But lots of great tips. I'll be in Cornwall for 3 weeks. Some business to deal with, but primarily to explore. We'll be based near St Just. Can't wait to try the train to St Ives, go to St. Merryn for fish & chips before setting off on the coastal path walk. That's a definite. Cripplesease & Zennor are also a must. Getting well excited about it now. Thanks @DeejayR & everyone else for your kind suggestions. Very much appreciated.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I'm worried about the weather for you. I have sat under an umbrella in the rain at Zennor museum drinking tea but ....
Perhaps others can suggest indoor backups (the Eden project, as @Brunneria mentioned?)
We spent all day in the Maritime Museum at Falmouth once. Fantastic.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I'm back there next week. We'll be doing fishing on a little farm in Towednack and chilling and weather permitting beaching it at either end of Gwithian.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cornwall in the rain is glorious.

It is the best time to swim in the sea, and the best time to be up on the moors too - providing you are inside a car!

If you don't want to be out and about in the weather (horizontal driving mizzle, penetrating damp, and salty mist), then hole up in a pub, cafe or tea room...

We always used to go to Liskeard swimming pool on wet days. - spent most of the summer school hols in Looe staying with my grandparents for about 15 years.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know what folks....I don't give a tinkers toss what the weather will be like. I'm just glad to get away. I'm pretty easy pleased, and I quite like the idea of sitting in the car up on Bodmin moor with a flask of good coffee. Holed up in a pub..yup! Maritime museum..definitely. I really can't wait. Cornwall looks very beautiful. :)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Polperro https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polperro
The Hurlers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurlers_(stone_circles)
The Cheesewring https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesewring
Tintagel Post Office http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tintagel-old-post-office/
St Nectans Glen http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/St Nectan's Glen.htm

And i would have to go to the Eden Project and Lost Gardens of Heligan, even though they are touristy.

Don't waste your time with Jamaica Inn.

Gonna take a look at the links you've given me @Brunneria. We're NT members, so Tintagel sounds good. Thanks loads. X

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Know what folks....I don't give a tinkers toss what the weather will be like. I'm just glad to get away. I'm pretty easy pleased, and I quite like the idea of sitting in the car up on Bodmin moor with a flask of good coffee. Holed up in a pub..yup! Maritime museum..definitely. I really can't wait. Cornwall looks very beautiful. :)

We go at least once a year. Have done for 20 odd years. Never had a total washout holiday. I always say the same as you, I dont care if it rains!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I vote for Lostwithiel, there are castle ruins there, it was once the Royal Mints home, and of course a wee sippy of real Cornish Mead in a country pub, only a wee sippy mind as its made from honey.

Reactions: 4 people