Can a vegetarian/vegan diet be a problem?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The key to a healthy diet, in my opinion, is to avoid factory processed food. Eat real food. It doesn't have to be organic or grass fed, just not in a box or bag with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients.

Reactions: 2 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fructose is not healthy. And slowing the rise only slows the rise. It doesn't prevent it.. IMO equating it to 4 tsp of sugar would be helpful to someone who doesn't understand low carb or that all carbs turn to glucose. It would give them the knowledge that just because an apple is supposed to be healthy it will still convert to blood sugar. Apples are off my menu for just that reason.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to prevent a rise in blood sugar. Controlling it is important and small amounts of fructose doesn't do you any harm and an apple contains a lot of "goodness" Having no blood sugar at all would be very bad for a person.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read things similar to this before and it is true the body makes our cholesterol but diet also plays a big part. Someone who eats alot of saturated animal fats can have very high cholesterol due to their diet.

Just from my own experience I can say fat in the diet does not equate to high cholesterol. I took to the low carb high fats way of eating and have been following it for 8 months:- eating loads of eggs, full fat cheese, double cram with berries almost daily, eating streaky bacon and fatty cuts of meat and my lipid profile has improved - trigs halved, HDL (the 'good' bit) is way up and LDL (the bad one) is down with total cholesterol about the same. So I certainly do not believe that saturated fat is bad for you or for cholesterol levels. My new mantra is that fat oils the joints and sugar (carbs) gums up the works!

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you all for your replies, it was informative.

I am sticking to my vegan diet, no dairy or meat. I am going to do this for 3 months and get my cholesterol and HBA1C re tested and see what that shows.

I have spoken to my GP and he doesn't even know why I am concerned with a HBA1C at 40 as it is non diabetic. My concern was just due to the fact that the cut off is 42 and I have no real risk factors for having diabetes. I am a pretty healthy person. I am going to still do my yoga daily, I do a 10 minute walking workout from home daily too. I am also always on the go being a busy mum. So fingers crossed the cholesterol and sugars go down and I can relax. I went through alot of stress with my son being very unwell for 3 months last year when my HBA1C was taken so hopefully stress also played a role.

Thanks again.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Meat/dairy do not cause high cholesterol or high blood sugar, but good luck.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies, it was informative.

I am sticking to my vegan diet, no dairy or meat. I am going to do this for 3 months and get my cholesterol and HBA1C re tested and see what that shows.

I have spoken to my GP and he doesn't even know why I am concerned with a HBA1C at 40 as it is non diabetic. My concern was just due to the fact that the cut off is 42 and I have no real risk factors for having diabetes. I am a pretty healthy person. I am going to still do my yoga daily, I do a 10 minute walking workout from home daily too. I am also always on the go being a busy mum. So fingers crossed the cholesterol and sugars go down and I can relax. I went through alot of stress with my son being very unwell for 3 months last year when my HBA1C was taken so hopefully stress also played a role.

Thanks again.

It can work very well, you should see results if you give it chance, but it does take a few months for you body to settle down, so three months seems a good period. Good luck.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
It can work very well, you should see results if you give it chance, but it does take a few months for you body to settle down, so three months seems a good period. Good luck.
Thank you Sunny.

You've been a big help.

I am not watching carbs as such but keeping them under 200 if I can. I hope that will be ok. I am getting my carbs from beans, oats... Eating plenty of veggies and 2 portions of fruit a day.

Trying to not worry what my HBA1C might be now 3 months on from the last test. I keep saying to my husband but it could now be over 40, who knows lol!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have spoken to my GP and he doesn't even know why I am concerned with a HBA1C at 40 as it is non diabetic. My concern was just due to the fact that the cut off is 42....

42 is the cut off for pre-diabetes. You have to hit 48 to get diagnosed with diabetes.