Can Amlodipine cause Neuropathy?

Joshman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Amlodipine Tablets for about 18 months now to help control my blood pressure. I started off on 5mg a day and about 2 months later it was increased to 10 mg. At the time I had plenty of 5mg tablets left, so was taking 2 a day. Accidentally, when my 5mg tablets ran out I continued taking 2 tablets a day not realising they were 10mg tablets!

About a week later, still inadvertently taking 20mg Amlodopine daily, I started getting a few spots and small red patches on the back of my hand, which were very itchy. They would flare up during the day and then settle down at night. At the time I thought it was an allergy to something. A week after that, my ankles became swollen, I went to the doctors and that's when I realised I was on double the daily dose of Amlodipine (he made me to go to A&E to get my heart checked out, it was fine). Once I was back on the normal dose of 10mg daily, the rash on my hands and swollen ankles disappeared.

About a month ago I started getting the burning red patches on my hands again, first thing I did was to check I was on the correct dose of Amlodipine, which I was. So then I thought maybe it was an allergy to a new brand of soap I had started using. But then 2 weeks ago, I started getting a strange pulsating, buzzing sensation in my ankles and feet. I went to the docs and she said it sounded like Neuropathy but that would be surprising as my HbA1c results have always been good since I was diagnosed,it was 42 back in August (6.0 in "old money"). She's arranged for me have to have some tests done at the foot clinic, not had the appointment yet. I asked her if the rash I was getting on my hands could be caused by the Amlodipine, and maybe also the Neuropathy. She said it was unlikely.

A week after seeing the doc, not only was I having continuous buzzing/tingling in my feet and ankles, but the rash on my hands was getting worse and to make matters worse my fingertips became painful! It was like they were being pinched. So still wondering if the Amolodipine was causing the rash, I started taking half of the tablet each day (5mg instead of 10mg). First day, the rash reduced. Second day, no rash at all. By the fourth day, still no rash and also the pain in the fingertips and the buzzing in my feet had gone. Today, just for the hell of it, I took the full 10mg of Amlodipine and within a couple of hours, the red burning patches have returned on the back of my hands. My feet feel fine though.

Has anyone on Amlodipine experienced this? I'm worried I might have suffered permanent nerve damage as a result.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I seem to remember that rashes were a possible side effect of amlodipine and I would think the extra dosage made you more likely to get side effects, it could be that your body has simply become less tolerant of them now. Maybe your doctor could prescribe a different blood pressure tablet?

The main problem with a dose that's too high would be low blood pressure - feeling dizzy, cold sweats, clammy etc.

I really don't know about the question of permanent nerve damage due to taking too much amlodipine, but like your doctor I think it's highly unlikely.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your best bet is to look Amlodipine up online. Only the commonly reported reactions will be shown on the leaflet enclosed with the drug. There are likely to be more that are considered too rare to be printed there.

There are a number of websites that list the contraindications that have been reported about the drug.

It is also worth searching for drug interactions between it and any other drugs you are taking. I have noticed that my doc never checks these things before writing out a script, but many drugs interact with each other, sometimes with serious effects - i have learned to check every decision he makes.

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
I stop taking it because it caused arthritus. I had pain for years and it turned out to be amlodipine. The pain switched off and came on again when I tried taking it again.
D.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking Amplodipine for about 10 years along with 15mg of Lisiniprol for blood pressure but I do only take 5mg of the Amlodipine I was on 10mg for a while but it made my ankles and feet swell...the most common side effect... so it was reduced to 5mg and no more swelling. I have never had any reaction from it like you describe

colineastwood

I've been on Amlodipine Tablets for about 18 months now to help control my blood pressure. I started off on 5mg a day and about 2 months later it was increased to 10 mg. At the time I had plenty of 5mg tablets left, so was taking 2 a day. Accidentally, when my 5mg tablets ran out I continued taking 2 tablets a day not realising they were 10mg tablets!

About a week later, still inadvertently taking 20mg Amlodopine daily, I started getting a few spots and small red patches on the back of my hand, which were very itchy. They would flare up during the day and then settle down at night. At the time I thought it was an allergy to something. A week after that, my ankles became swollen, I went to the doctors and that's when I realised I was on double the daily dose of Amlodipine (he made me to go to A&E to get my heart checked out, it was fine). Once I was back on the normal dose of 10mg daily, the rash on my hands and swollen ankles disappeared.

About a month ago I started getting the burning red patches on my hands again, first thing I did was to check I was on the correct dose of Amlodipine, which I was. So then I thought maybe it was an allergy to a new brand of soap I had started using. But then 2 weeks ago, I started getting a strange pulsating, buzzing sensation in my ankles and feet. I went to the docs and she said it sounded like Neuropathy but that would be surprising as my HbA1c results have always been good since I was diagnosed,it was 42 back in August (6.0 in "old money"). She's arranged for me have to have some tests done at the foot clinic, not had the appointment yet. I asked her if the rash I was getting on my hands could be caused by the Amlodipine, and maybe also the Neuropathy. She said it was unlikely.

A week after seeing the doc, not only was I having continuous buzzing/tingling in my feet and ankles, but the rash on my hands was getting worse and to make matters worse my fingertips became painful! It was like they were being pinched. So still wondering if the Amolodipine was causing the rash, I started taking half of the tablet each day (5mg instead of 10mg). First day, the rash reduced. Second day, no rash at all. By the fourth day, still no rash and also the pain in the fingertips and the buzzing in my feet had gone. Today, just for the hell of it, I took the full 10mg of Amlodipine and within a couple of hours, the red burning patches have returned on the back of my hands. My feet feel fine though.

Has anyone on Amlodipine experienced this? I'm worried I might have suffered permanent nerve damage as a result.

colineastwood

I have developed a rash - which my doctor is treating a eczema - about 6 months ago, which is now on my legs and arms. Its appearance coincided with the white and yellow packet of 5mg Amlodipine tablets being replaced by another manufacturer, with a smaller tablet (still sold as 5mg).
Whilst I have had eczema in the past (and as I became older) it was always been pretty localised - now I fear my whole body is up for infestation with this current situation. My chief concern about the new manufacturer is: How can a 5mg tablet be only 75% the size of another manufacturers tablet... i.e what is missing? and is it causing this problem because a few pence has been saved by 'Big Pharma'' cost cutting?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am on 5mg of Amlodopine, alongside 40mg of Lisinopril......no side effects that I have noticed.....

I realise this post doesn't help you in an way...:facepalm:

DavidHannay

I have the same swelling symptoms as Joshman (realise his post was a while ago) - swelling in both ankles plus itching (no rash as yet) after having my 5mg dose of Amlodipine raised to 10mg. Good blood pressure results but I've never had swelling before and will have the dose reduced.

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I have had similar arthritic pain in my hands since starting amalodopine. I was first put on it in Decembervand a week after the pain began. I took myself off of it and the pain went(but in the mean time I also saw a rheumatologist who injected steroids into both hands) well my blood pressure has increased so the gp put me back on amolodipine and low and behold after 9 days the pain cane back. The doctors insist it’s not linked but I feel it’s too much of a coincidence. I have another rheumatology appointment next week so will be raising my concerns again

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
I have had similar arthritic pain in my hands since starting amalodopine. I was first put on it in Decembervand a week after the pain began. I took myself off of it and the pain went(but in the mean time I also saw a rheumatologist who injected steroids into both hands) well my blood pressure has increased so the gp put me back on amolodipine and low and behold after 9 days the pain cane back. The doctors insist it’s not linked but I feel it’s too much of a coincidence. I have another rheumatology appointment next week so will be raising my concerns again
Yes it's linked they say it's a rare side effect. It is apparently even worse if you take a statin as well.

Prior to finding out the doctor sent me for a bone scan because he thought my prostate cancer had started up again.
D.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
I've just started taking 10ml and have been suffering from really badly swollen ankles and calves; never had this before. Definitely stopping!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
That happened to me. I stopped taking it. With advice from my GP. never had swollen legs before.