Can anyone advise please

Mia56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
my husband has been type 2 for 23 years and over the last 3/4 his control has been very erratic. In addition he has been diagnosed with dementia.

He was on Novomix insulin but has taken a bit of a needle phobia and was fighting with me beacause he thought four needles a day were too much. After lots of problems he was put on Lantus once a day 80units. Pluse Metformin and glicizide. However for the last week his BS has been VERY high, yesterday he flatlined at 22. Got up this morning and it's 19.4 and he feels quite unwell but can't describe what's wrong. He's quite sleepy too.

I have to collect his new insulin on Monday, being changed to degludec to see if he can get better control.

Should I call the out of hours doctor today? I'm quite concerned that he's so sleepy.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds as if contacting the doctor might not be a bad idea, those sugar levels are quite high.

I am guessing that you are probably chief cook in your household, are you keeping a close eye on the amount of sugar and carbohydrates (which all turn to sugar) that are being consumed. Many people here have reversed/put into remission T2 diabetes by cutting right down on sugar. Have a look at LCHF (low carb, healthy fat) diets/lifestyles, they could solve many of your problems, though do note, if you decide to go down this route, your husband will need to adjust his insulin and other drugs (downwards) accordingly.
Sally

Reactions: Mia56

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would probably call the doctor but you could call 111, the NHS helpline, for advice first.

Mia56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies, just called NHS24 and they are sending a doctor within the hour.

I do try to control his diet but the type of dementia he has make him crave food. It's a vicious circle really.

Let's see what today brings.

Mia56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Patti, it's been a strange day. Dr came within an hour and she was so good. Nothing is obvious no UTI or infection and she checked him top to toe. But the sugar levels were still not moving! I have the libre and use sensor to avoid more needles. She waited around for 30mins and then decided to call the on call Endo team who went through everything and said that he needs a little more insulin at tea time.
He has not woken up at all today just checking him every 30 mins he hasn't eaten since breakfast and is still sitting at BS 16.9. It's like he just hasn't got the energy to sit up.

Definitely out of the norm for him so will get the GP out tomorrow if no improvement. It's been a very long day! Trying to be as quiet as possible but it's not easy as I do dash around a lot.