Prediabetes Can anyone help or advise?

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi

Around a year ago i had an early morning blood test for an insurance policy i was thinking of taking out, i had been in the gym and showered just prior to the blood take by a nurse who came to my home. When the results came back i was horrified at a fasting reading of 7.2 with a refusal for the insurance and a recommendation to go to the doctors.

I bought a blood glucose meter, read everything i could and realise that my blood levels would be odd afer a hard hour in the gym, i went to the doctors and found my hba1c level was 46 which is in pre diabetic realms.

I decided to cut my carbs out, dont drink in the week and alter my exercise programme to HIIT training as well as weights and running, i monitored my bloods with the meter and all bar first thing in the morn when the reading hits 6-6.2 it is all ok, my last hba1c was 42 so although work to do, better.

My issue id i have always been a big guy, not fat but well muscled but i have lost 1.5 stones and still losing and it is making me miserable, i just dont seem to be able to eat the calories needed to keep to the weight i want also i just dont seem to be able to eat as much as i used to with the level of protein i consume.

Does anyone have any suggestions as i really dont want to go back eating carbs but dont know what else to do. :(

Thanks

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Try adding a large handfull of almonds and wallnuts to a protein shake in the morning. also add some full fat yogurt possibly greek or greekstyle yoghurt. This calorie dense meal should stop the weight loss. Try it a couple of times a day until you are happy the weight loss is under control and heading where you want it to be.

Edit. This would be in addition to your current food intake.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, without knowing a typical sort of daily diet it is difficult to answer your question.

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks - i have n the mornings a protein shake at 6.30am - 9.30 i have frozen fruit (defrosted) with full fat greek yogurt, lunch large piece of fetta cheese, chicken breast and some leaves or soup and low carb crackers with mackerel on the cracker (something like that) dinner it would vary from liver and cauliflower mash, a vegetarian meal of some sorts etc, chicken stir fry. No alcohol during the week, eat more freely at weekends but not mad with the carbs - never eat any cakes, sweets, desserts, biscuits or the like but no sweet tooth. I dont eat after 8pm and dont snack between meals but i find it hard to eat much more ... appetite has crashed.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Nuts and cheese are both high calorie and are known to stop weight loss. Add a bunch of cheese to your cauliflower mash and snack on nuts, especially macadamias, brazil nuts and walnuts. You can also make your protein shake with cream.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A classic low carb high fat diet is supposed to remove fat rather than muscle - you don't say if you have been checking your percentage of body fat but I check mine once a week and have worked out the actual weights from the percentages, and I am maintaining my lean body mass.

Reactions: dbr10