can anyone help ? Worried mum of a type 1

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you, we are running out of time the hearing is on the 14th if this month the appointment was supposed to be with his diabetic nurse but they rang and said she was off sick so they then squeezed him in to see the gp
Just to be clear here, is your son seen at a hospital Diabetes clinic, and not the GP?

mossy71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
His solicitor is only a duty solicitor that they got into see him at the custody suite he will see her when he gets to court and yes myself and my husband will be going with him
The risk of drinking alchohol with taking insulin is that anybody can mistake a hypo for drunkedness and vice versa...

Even one glass smelt on breath can be enough for police or ambulance people to assume that you are drunk not hypo......they should test bloods immediately, no matter what their opinions are...

An explanation liking it to not drinking and driving may help son to realise that some people do not drink to go out and enjoy themselves, (or even staying in..)...drinking in excess is really best avoided when a T1, although it seems that alchohol is more prevalent today than when I was a young adult when alchohol was only a babycham at xmas.

I would really do utmost to find out if blood test was done on arrival at police station...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
His solicitor is only a duty solicitor that they got into see him at the custody suite he will see her when he gets to court and yes myself and my husband will be going with him

If all you've got is a duty solicitor you should really consider getting in touch with the diabetes uk advocacy service - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_...MIsYC2w4Sx1wIVD7jACh2KWQ3CEAAYASAAEgKT_PD_BwE - to see if they can put you in touch with any body who can assist with the defence or putting in a complaint to police re tests in custody.

SimonCrox

Sorry that your son is in this difficult situation. If you get the services of an independent diabetologist, they might charge a fair bit to provide a report. If you get a report from your own diabetologist, they might charge a small fee for this service (but it is likely that they would not), they would have your old records, and they might be able to also supply a bit of a character reference.
Any idea how long he had been drinking and how much before his behaviour changed?
I hope all goes well.
best wishes

leahkian

This must be a strain on all of you but the police have a duty of care and if they new your son was a diabetic he should have seen a doctor before anything else happened. If he has not being looking after his diabetes then the swings in his sugar can go high fast and low fast. I tend to lose my rag when my sugar is dropping low which is when i am told to check my BS. Have you any idea of what he was drinking on the night as lager and alcopops have a high sugar content which means the sugar goes really high and then drops low just as quick. I would go with your son to see the DNS if he can not remember anything and get in contact with who is he lawyer and ask her to get the doctors full report asap as this can be taken to the hospital with you and might shed some light on things. The police should have been checking him and his blood every hour and i would say that if he cannot remember any off it then he should have been taken to hospital so that the medics could keep an eye on him. I am not saying that your son is inocent in all of this but it looks like the wake up call he has needed and maybe go online to see if you can find any cases which are like your sons or even ask the DNS if she can arrange for you and your son to see a consultant before his court date and ask if he can write a report on what he thinks has happened. Good Luck

mossy71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Another update my son was in court yesterday he just got a fine they took his diabetes into consideration and also the fact his daughter was born Sunday night and is in neonatal, along with the fact it was totally out of character , there was still no evidence presented from the police that he actually did what they said he did but he’s happy it’s all over! Thank you to all that took the time to reply and give advice it’s very much appreciated