Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok here goes, typing this whilst ofline checking to see if it works,
IT ,WORKS time is 1-20am, couldnt sleep,

Can Anyone tell me Please

(dx type 2 may 15th) what these levels mean

CHOL 6.2... HDL 1.78.... LDL 1.8.... TRIG 1.3

I was given these figures when i asked nurse at dx 15th May
but i dont know what to make of them, and dont know what to compare them with, all i know is what i was told that my my cholesterole, should be 4 or less.
It was suggested to me by the DR to take Simvastatin to lower the CHOL, which i was reluctant to take, i dont really know why, other than not wanting to take more pills, the Nurse said i should take them as well,...I decided i wasnt going to take it.

I have been having tests to see if i have Angina,I had an ECG, then an E C G Exercise, on 25th June, when i was told by the Heart Nurse that i should take the Statin,....so i have been taking it,

I have also had, an Echocardiogram without an injection 14th July and another one, with an injection, last Fri, i had results of that on Wed,and was told i am ok, that they will keep a check on me, and give me a pumpspray to use if i get chest pain, or for the pains i get in my back occasionaly.
I was told, my chol level is down to 3.2...and due to taking the Statin, still not happy with having to take it, wondering if i really need to
I Also, had a result last Mon from a B T.. I had for Haemoglobin AIC that is 6.2.....again i dont know what it means,
Would appreciate feedback , as ever, Thanks

DiabeticGeek

jeenie said:
CHOL 6.2... HDL 1.78.... LDL 1.8.... TRIG 1.3
This is what is called your "lipid profile", and these look like very good figures to me! What they mean is the following:

• CHOL - Total cholesterol
  • HDL - High Density Lipoprotein ("good cholesterol"), should be > 1.55 mmol/l.
  • LDL - Low Density Lipoprotein ("bad cholesterol"), should be < 3.3 mmol/l and ideally < 2.6.
  • TRIG - Triglycerides should be < 1.69 mmol/l.
NB these target figures are taken from those published by the American Heart Association.

Your total cholesterol (6.2 mmol/l) is high, but that on its own isn't a problem (it is, in fact, a pretty meaningless figure). Your HDL is 1.78 mmol/l, which is good. The ratio of HDL to total cholesterol (6.2 ÷ 1.78) is 3.48, and so long as it is under about 4.9 that is OK. Your LDL cholesterol is 1.8 mmol/l, and so is really good. The most important of these figures are the triglycerides which, at 1.3 mmol/l are in the normal range. You really want to worry if this figure is ever over 5.65 mmol/l.

If these figures are from before you started taking the statins then, that seriously begs the question of why you are taking them! The cholesterol level is high, but all of the meaningful parts of your lipid profile are great.

DiabeticGeek

jeenie said:
I Also, had a result last Mon from a B T.. I had for Haemoglobin AIC that is 6.2.....again i dont know what it means,
An HbA1c value of 6.2% isn't as good as your lipid profile. I have written a detailed description of HbA1c on another thread, but essentially this tells you how high your average blood glucose has been over the last three months. Medics are very keen on this, because it tells them how well the diabetes is under control, and is a very good indicator of how likely diabetic complications are. Your 6.2% means that your average BG has been something like 7.5-9 mmol/l in this time (which is really quite high). Many medics consider diabetes to be under control if the HbA1c is less than 7%. However, a non-diabetic has an HbA1c of typically about 5% and there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that your best chance of avoiding complications with diabetes is to get your HbA1c as close to that as possible (certainly under 6%).

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, Diabeticgeek, for the feed back, i am reading loads of stuff,
and trying to get my head around it all, having these figures, gives me something to compare, and have been having a look at your thread too, "detailed description of HbA1c£ , cant say i understand it all yet, but i'm trying too