Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
If you google anaemia You'll note that an endoscopy is often one of the tools used to get to the root of the problem, along with many other tests et al.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was anaemic on diagnosis, I was really out of breath with it. I'm a woman so it was easy to pinpoint the cause (without giving you TMI). Otherwise they were going to have to see whether I was bleeding somewhere else to make me anaemic.

Are you a vegetarian @eaglet

eaglet

Dislikes
Thanks Alanp35, Thanks Denise, No, I'm not a veggie and I walk up to 35km a week, not just general walking, shops, etc. but along the beach for an hour or so 5/6 times a week, sometimes twice a day so I'm not particularly unfit for a 62 yr non-smoker, albeit I do like a pint! It was just a bit worrying when the Dr. mentioned the 'C' word. I think she just said the Endoscope was to eliminate 'problems', but just wished she hadn't mentioned the 'C' word as mate has just passed away from it.. Still no point in worrying until I know but it's still in the back of your mind,
Thanks again!!

Type 2, Feb 2001. Have been 6.5 ish for quite a while but last 2 HbA1c readings via the hospital have been 5.2 & 5.3! Take Metformin x 3 a day & Pioglitazone x 1 a day.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good that you are being properly checked out, some doctors simply say 'you're anaemic, take these iron tablets' without bothering to find out the cause of the anaemia. I hope your tests go well.

Reactions: 2 people

desidiabulum

Hi eaglet. Has anyone suggested that your anaemia may be caused by lack of B12 from having been on metformin for so many years? I hope that's the case. Good luck with the tests

eaglet

Dislikes
It's good that you are being properly checked out, some doctors simply say 'you're anaemic, take these iron tablets' without bothering to find out the cause of the anaemia. I hope your tests go well.

Hi, Done the Iron tablet thing!! Thanks.

eaglet

Dislikes
Hi eaglet. Has anyone suggested that your anaemia may be caused by lack of B12 from having been on metformin for so many years? I hope that's the case. Good luck with the tests

On my 4th B12 injection as we 'speak', one every 10 wks, Metformin wasn't mentioned! Thanks!

C

chris lowe

I've just been told I'm Anaemic! The Dr. at this stage is unsure why I am Anaemic and am just asking questions of possibilities as I now have to have an Endoscopy!
Hi Eaglet, hope they get to the bottom of the anaemia, it's possible that you don't absorb iron in the stomach. Don't worry about the endoscopy, you'll be given something to drift away and won't know anything til it's over.

As to the original question, I don't know if it does cause diabetes but I've been anaemic ever since I was pregnant (so 30 odd years ago) and had numerous tests until they finally discovered I had alpha thalassaemia minor, which had been ignored in all the tests because I didn't fit the "type". Every so often I have iron injections to boost the count up. It was quite strange that I'd never heard of anyone with alpha until my son was going out with a woman (who also didn't fit the type) who had it and several members of her family the same so all of a sudden I knew a whole group of people with the same problem

Reactions: 4 people