Can I become a commercial Airline pilot with Type 1 Diabetes

AmarChana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello! I am turning 18 in the near future and have had T1D for nearly 4 years. I am looking to start flight training soon through the Private Pilots License and ultimately become a Commercial Pilot in the future. My question is, can I become a Commercial Pilot if I have T1D. I understand that this article: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_u...-diabetes-allowed-to-fly-commercial-aircraft/ says pilots with diabetes allowed to fly commercial aircraft, however does this mean that if you are a pilot and hold a license and you develop T1D while you hold your license that you can go back into commercial operations or does it mean that anyone with T1D can become a commercial pilot and fly commercial aircraft? @ScottyD

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a member here who is a Type 1 pilot.
unfortunately I can't recall his profile name and tried to search but nothing obvious.. can anyone else remember?

Reactions: AmarChana

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I am turning 18 in the near future and have had T1D for nearly 4 years. I am looking to start flight training soon through the Private Pilots License and ultimately become a Commercial Pilot in the future. My question is, can I become a Commercial Pilot if I have T1D. I understand that this article: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_u...-diabetes-allowed-to-fly-commercial-aircraft/ says pilots with diabetes allowed to fly commercial aircraft, however does this mean that if you are a pilot and hold a license and you develop T1D while you hold your license that you can go back into commercial operations or does it mean that anyone with T1D can become a commercial pilot and fly commercial aircraft? @ScottyD

Tagging @ScottyD for you @AmarChana

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the US a Type 1 can get a private pilot's license, but you have to keep a glucose log before and after flights and turn it in to the FAA. My brother here has an Air Transport license (can fly commercial airliner) I'll try and ask him. If I had to guess I would say no. Just like you can't join the military with Type 1.

Reactions: Dodo and AmarChana

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But they're both in the UK :)
I think what he meant was is it different if you're already a pilot and get diabetes compared to you are already have it and want to be a pilot. I seriously doubt there's a difference. The good part in commercial there's a copilot for most flights. Maybe not bush pilots and floats and stuff but most flights.

AmarChana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you so much for the help guys! I tried calling the CAA today and there wasn't a line for medical enquiries so I wrote them an email instead, I hope its good news :)

Reactions: genix

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo Thank you! I'll be sure to have a look :D

AmarChana, you might find this forum a useful place to make contacts:

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/517777-type-1-diabetic-class-1-medical-2.html

Whilst this thread doesn't definitively answer your question, posts are relatively recent, and there may be better threads, using different search criteria. You would be talking to others with working knowledge of commercial flying though.

Good luck with it. It's good to have an aim in life.

Reactions: AmarChana