Can I Claim for Any Benefits

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Diabetes is not a disability disease. Yes, fullstop!!!!

colaguzzler

try being type 1 for 30+ years and having neuropathy,retinpathy together with diabetic kidney damage ,
i can only walk with the aid of 2 walking sticks .
until the neropathy forced me to give up work entirely and i did try and try i even asked my employer if i could have a stool i
was even willing to but it myself but was refused and told it was against company policy

D0k

Hi, I worked fulltime untill one day my eyes went pop.

Retinopathic bleeds put a stop to that and I continually tried to return to work.

I agree that diabetes itself doesnt need benefits or extra financial help, unless you have one of the many varied complications.

I tend to list my issues and then finish off my saying "im also diabetic". It tends to put things in perspective for people with little or no understanding of the condition.
Registered blind, Neuropathy, Nephropathy (kidney disease), and Arthritis. I also have extremely brittle diabetes. Not bad for a 36 year old.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

colaguzzler

if you are only type 2 then you don't have much to worry about.
try being type 1 then you will really know about it .like the danger of a hypo working or not i have managed mine for 30+
years pretty well up until recently where i have now deveolped neuropathy and retinpathy.
and when you are confined to the house because of mobility problems makes life no joke having to depend on other people.

colaguzzler

being disabled myself now where the diabetes is at the back of it all .
having neuropathy,retinpathy,epilepsy unable to walk no more than a few steps with 2 walking sticks.
there is a small minority have an intense dislike of all disabled people thanks to this goverment who hae practised the
art of divide and conquer.
although i realise there is a small minority of shirkers out there disabled people are not part of this minority

colaguzzler

if you are an older diabetic like me and have also got all the complications that diabetes brings .
you will know what i mean here when i was first diagnosed about 35 yrs ago you did'nt get free monitors or syringes ,lancets all of those if you wanted them you had to buy them yourself.
i can still remember having to sterilise my glass syringes wrapped in gauze in a pan of hot water and injecting with the extremely painful stainless steel needles

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All the benefits are changing anyway but it always used to be the case that you couldn't get an allowance or benefit until you actually got the disability so for example, you wouldn't get a mobility allowance until diabetes actually made you immobile. They don't do advance payments.

I wish I could get my pension now but sadly, I have to wait until I am a pensioner.

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Geocacher, I think that implying akindrat18 has no morals is totally out of order. He only asked for advice from the members of this Forum, and at no time suggested that he wanted to defraud the system. He appears to be trying hard to find work, and needs good constructive advice as to how better to increase his chances, not a sarcastic putdown from someone who probably hasn't even taken time to read all the posts in order to be informed. I agree, as a worker, that it is frustrating to earn less than some people on benefits, but it is up to the government to tighten up the system so that it no longer pays to cheat or coast, and the money saved would help to create new jobs for those who genuinely want to work.
I also think that those on this forum that think it wise to give advice as how to cheat the system, should take a long hard look at themselves before giving any more such advice. We should all be sensible when dealing with such serious subjects - there are plenty of posts that we can answer with a joke or funny comment.
I hope you find an answer to your problems soon. Is there any possibility of going into Halls for the summer? Or maybe advertise yourself as someone prepared to take on anything in exchange for accommodation - house maintenance/garden upkeep, maybe for an elderly person? Try your local age concern to see if they know of anyone who might need help, but cannot afford to pay, but has space in their house. Be aware you will have to provide references. Look for opportunities that are not advertised, so you are not competing with others. Good luck. :thumbup:

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
colaguzzler said:
try being type 1 then you will really know about it .like the danger of a hypo working or not i have managed mine for 30+
years pretty well up until recently where i have now deveolped neuropathy and retinpathy.
and when you are confined to the house because of mobility problems makes life no joke having to depend on other people.
type 2 diabetes certainly is something to worry about . We suffer from all the same problems as. Type 1 as many people on this forum will confirm and I am surprised a diabetic of 30 plus years would know this

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
"If you are only type 2" . How condescending I can't beleive that somone who has lived with diabetes for so long an discriminate so badley. Yes I work infact I work 60 per week ( all at flat rate no overtime and only just abouve minimum wage) and on shifts that change every 3 to 4 days . I may only have been recently diagnosed but it seem I have probably been diabetic for years with out knowing what was wrong . I suffered from clinical depression years ago and that has some strange phisical or phyco/phisical manifestations many or which are simular to diabetes especially the lethargy .I also sufferd a bad accident 9 years ago that took years to fully recover from or atleast recover to to point I am now where there can be nommore improvement but to be fair I am not too bad but physicaly the are restrictions . Which is why it was missed by both me and my dr . The out come is I now have neuropathy although only lightly in my hands but right is sorsemthan left . I have kidney damage and disease. I have now been told that although t hey are not too conserned just yet they want to keep an eye on my liver as it shows sighs of damage . I have not yet been for a retinopathy test but I know my eyes aren what they were but having said that I was blessed with eyesight that was so good it was off the chart so I suspect that although It is not the same as before I still have atlease top side of avrage. Oh and mr wiggley no longer workes propperly . I have no intentions of giving up working but you are so out of order saying only type 2 as if its just a runny nose. Yes dealing with tpye 1 and insulin is difficult but some type 2s are insulin dependant too are they beneith you aswell because their just type 2 and their for not propper diabetics . By eck who needs dr chriss steel when we can be pulled down dy other diabetics . This is a whole new world for me and to think only 2 months ago I had no idea that diabetic snobbery existed.

colaguzzler said:

Morganator

whompa 73 I have to agree about the snobbery as a surgically induced insulin dependant diabetic I get the impression sometimes that I am not a 'proper' diabetic.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

sw11bloke

u can only get benefits as a student if you get DLA which is almost impossible to get now under the conservatives. They are even clamping down on the disabled.
BUT...if your diabetic and you are facing homelessness, they will be required to help you with housing as they are required to care for the vulnerable.
Youd be better off getting help for housing and finding a job. Good luck

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In an increasingly secular society, 'I am holier than thou' has become 'I am more diabetic than thee'.

Now, when I were a lad, we used to live in a cardboard box .......

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yorksman said:
In an increasingly secular society, 'I am holier than thou' has become 'I am more diabetic than thee'.

Lol !

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cardboard box! we couldnt afford a cardboard box WE lived in a carrier bag :!:
CAROL

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Forget a like button I want a pmsl button :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yorksman said:

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
Do you all realise that its not just Diabetics that read these forum's many that work in the likes of the DWP do also, so to tell someone on how to cheat the system, is not only mentally wrong, but Morally wrong!!!

The person only asked for advice from fellow diabetics and unfortunately been met with a fair bit of "Diabetic Snobbery" from those who in the lifetime's of being either Type 1 or Type 2 should know better..

I look at myself, yes I'm t2 diabetic but i have a lot of other complications that came before that, one and the main problem i was born with, but has it stopped me No it F**k**g well hasn't (Sorry for the swearing but it makes my blood boil)..

I left school with 10 CSE's (6 x 1; 3 x 2 & 1 x 4), a couple of A Levels later, then a BS.c (Hons) in later years and the IQ of 145 and guess what I'm not employed either!!!! I have been told i'm over-qualified for most of the posts that i applied to in the past, but from 1995 i have been medically retired! Most of you can type using your fingers, i can't properly so need to use speech to type software, thankfully after apdating software with extra code, but thats what comes of being able to do so..

One of the other members mentioned Volunteering, I do this but i also have Permitted rules (which allows me to work no more than 15.59hrs per week and earn upto £94.00 per week), I prefer to volunteer as i find it rewarding in helping others, this would be an ideal method of work for anyone, who needs some help in getting some extra skills to help get their interest back into themselves and get their confidence back on an even keel... It could enable them to become employed with the Charity that they volunteer for!!!!

You could try looking at this website... http://www.e4s.co.uk/jobs/1-part-time-work-from-home-jobs.htm it is the most visited student website...

Here is one job, for instance that is advertised.. why not try it and remember that if you are working from home, you can still be with your parents and giving them the summer rent that they have requested...

Job Title: Virtual Assistant with basic Excel experience
City / Town: London
Company name: Chancery Commercial Services
Company sector: Admin/Secretarial
Pay: £100-£200 per week

Good luck with your job search..

regards

Peter
M1dpq

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Seems a perfectly fair question by a young poster struggling to get on with life.

"Can I claim anything"

Not an unreasonable question.

If the answer was "yes", that's what we have decided is fair as a civilised society.
If the answer is "no", again the same applies.

And if you don't know the answer, it's a perfectly fair question to ask.

They don't need their heads biting off for asking, they just need a simple answer.
They are obviously trying to find work, they aren't trying to get a free handout they don't qualify for, so why can't we just give them a polite answer, based on our accumulated years of wisdom?

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
jackyboy.
you have just completely wiped my Christmas spirit away, that got me really angry. and you've just mocked every person who really is depressed and suicidal and needs genuine help.