Can i get my sons readings on an app?

Stelong

Hi guys

My son is 9 and recently T1D diagnosed. At work i often think/wonder/worry about what his readings are doing whilst he is at school.

Does anyone know if there a meter/app that would store his results somewhere that i and my wife could access remotely and keep tabs on what his bloods are doing?

Would love to hear from anyone who might know or has similar experiences each day as a T1D parent?

Thanks

Stephen

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's the dexcom G5, but it's costly. But would be great for letting you see his bloods from afar.

Don't know of any standard monitors that automatically upload anywhere to allow for remote access. You could ask him or the school nurse just to txt you when he tests?

Reactions: Freema and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

My son is 9 and recently T1D diagnosed. At work i often think/wonder/worry about what his readings are doing whilst he is at school.

Does anyone know if there a meter/app that would store his results somewhere that i and my wife could access remotely and keep tabs on what his bloods are doing?

Would love to hear from anyone who might know or has similar experiences each day as a T1D parent?

Thanks

Stephen
Hi,

I know your worried. But I do feel you need to discuss this with your son.? (Whilst checking out the "tech.")
Diabetes blood sugar levels for some Ds is like asking ones "orientation".
Not trying to dissuade you if you can find the right "app"...?

An easier way might be to check his meter on the "sly" it tends to be date/time stamped on results.. Still "ethically" a breach of trust on any indevidual....
Just my thoughts.. Diabetes can be toooooooo invasive on the "Q&A" sometimes. ;)

Stelong

There's the dexcom G5, but it's costly. But would be great for letting you see his bloods from afar.

Don't know of any standard monitors that automatically upload anywhere to allow for remote access. You could ask him or the school nurse just to txt you when he tests?
Hi, thanks for your really helpful reply. have u used the dexcom G5 and do you have an idea on what the actual costs are?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for your really helpful reply. have u used the dexcom G5 and do you have an idea on what the actual costs are?

Yes, it's what I'm using.

Each sensor is just over £50. They last 7 days, but you can get 21 days out of them. The G5 transmitter is £200, it lasts 3 months. Then he would need an iPhone and so would you.

I agree with @Jaylee , it is intrusive and I have only recently started using the G5 with the share facility because I do not like my numbers being shared at all. I guess you just have to be cautious that your son is very soon going to be a teenager with the responsibility for managing his diabetes - do have a chat to him about the idea of the sharing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buy him a cheap phone and tell him to text you his reading.
Believe it or not. We have some pretty decent phones in the UK. Like you guys in the States?! Most kids have them...

A quick "hi son. Just checking you're OK"? May open dialogue better than "big brother"... (The school will/should alow this communication on this basis.)
There was never this tech when I was at school.. I Was the "tech" (1976) I carried a chemisty set in my bag & still came home alive! ;) Not even my science teacher knew this one...
This is not to undermine the OP's concern..

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Believe it or not. We have some pretty decent phones in the UK. Like you guys in the States?! Most kids have them...
LOL, sarcasm translates poorly over the internet, but I sense a bit of it from you.

My point wasn't to be condescending. It was to consider that he's 9 years old and most kids that age aren't the best about keeping up with things.

If cost is NOT an issue then absolutely get a Dexcom. I love my G5 and if my kid had type 1 they would absolutely wear one too.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's nothing to do with the cost for me. It's rather invasive, isn't it. Privacy is a rare commodity these days. My girl's 11 and she often gets pee'd off with me asking what her BG has been like during the day. She says "Mother, if there is a problem I will tell you" Sarcastic mare.
That's actually really impressive that you have the discipline to do that. I'm 28 years old my parents still worry every time I get a low, and it would probably hurt their feelings if I didn't share my Dexcom data with them.

I actually had one last night which meant my parents got an automatic alert. I got this text shortly after, lol.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5c3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5c3.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 180

Stelong

Thanks for all comments

Maybe a point being missed it that we're only 4 months in to ourT1D journey and this isnt about being invasive or sneaky. At the mo, he needs our support to bring his readings down and keep them managable and hes an inspiration re talking, sharing and trying to find the right ratios etc.

Some useful points tho for as he gets older and more independent...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some useful points tho for as he gets older and more independent...

Some of the points made are from the (possible.) "future"...
As humans we need trust & space. As opposed to feeling like a "Tamagotchi"... ;)