Can increased sugar cause a cough?

leedsgirl

I have been experiencing a night time cough (more of a tickle in the back of my throat really) one and off for months and I have been trying to find a cause without success. Been down all the usual avenues, asthma etc. Had lots of different treatments. Nothing stops it. The only thing that seems to connect with it is that it often happens on the days when my blood sugars have been a bit higher, but not always. Anyone ever noticed that this happens to them? It is really disturbing my sleep and driving me insane! :crazy:

alliebee

Hi there, are you on any medication for blood pressure, or something like ramapril ( which protects the kidneys ( amonst other things) as that can cause an irritating cough in some people

Just a thought, maybe you could check with your gp if thats the case.

Hope you get it sorted :D

leedsgirl

I have looked into the side effects of the other meds I take and none list a cough as being one of them. I'll look further into it though, thanks for your advice. If you'd said run up and down the street naked waving a plastic daffodil I'd probably give it a try! That's how peed off I am with the bloody thing disturbing my sleep every night.

sugar2

alliebee said:
Hi there, are you on any medication for blood pressure, or something like ramapril ( which protects the kidneys ( amonst other things) as that can cause an irritating cough in some people

Just a thought, maybe you could check with your gp if thats the case.

Hope you get it sorted :D

Was going to write the same thing!

I got an irritating tickly cough on ramipril. As far as raised sugar goes, I have never noticed a link..but could the thirst you get when you are high lead to a cough?

alliebee

Thats quite possible, as a dry throat would cause an irritable sensation, and may make you cough
Amlodopine which is a blood pressure med anti hypertension causes a cough too, also some diuretics

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes, when I eat chocolate, it feels like it is burning my throat - that makes me cough, too...

bobismad

Hi leedsgirl, I had similar problem over the course of 2 years a dry tickly cough that didnt seem to shift anything, after several visits to the GP she had no idea, so I googled my med's for side effects, (citalopram,propanolol,lisonopril), and a side effect of all 3 of them was a dry tickly cough, so as said before check the meds your on, you might find thats where it lays.... I still have the cough, but now I know what it is it dosent really bother me...

Bob