Can lancets be used multiple times?

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I am running short of lancets to take blood from my fingers . I will not be able to replenish the lancets before mid December . I can not buy them at my present location because of their non availability . What I am thinking whether there is any harm in using the same lancet for at least two/three times on the same day to get blood from my fingers. Did anybody experienced such situation or exercised the same approach? I know this may not be hygienic ,but if there is no other way to get the lancets.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i used to use a new lancet every time, now i use the same one for 3 tests

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They are for single use only, but it's up to yourself if you want to re-use them, I don't always change them after every bg test, but do change the lancet each and every morning.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
My short answer is YES - you can reuse. When just diagnosed, I actually asked the same question.

And about 90% of replies from 'seasoned' diabetics was that they only changed the lancet when they felt that it had become a bit blunt. Some persons even answered that they would only change lancets when changing from summertime to wintertime and vice versa - which incidentally reminds me that it is now time to change mine ;)

No one expressed concerns about hygiene. It is your own blood, and if you thoroughly clean your hands before using the lancet, it is highly unlikely that you will contaminate yourself.

annelise

- so I have lancets to last me for the rest of my life ... - that is, unless I reach the ripe old age of about 110 ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must admit I tend to continue using my lancets until they're blunt lol Can't be doing badly though as I've done this since finger pricing lancets were invented a long time ago/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I only change mine when it becomes difficult to draw blood because they have gone blunt.

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
When l scream and tears blurr my eyes with pain from being blunt l change mine.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I change mine about once a week - or was it once a fortnight? month? Can't remember now ...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As someone who tests a lot, I tend to change lancets very, very infrequently. Basically when it feels more uncomfortable then normal, but 26 years of pricking your fingers does that to you...

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Some suggest changing regularly every St Swithins Day :woot::woot:so you should be OK with a few tests per lancet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably get through 1 lancet every couple of months - so that is 6 a year.

jodysd6

I switched meters over 2 years ago and still haven't got around to asking for the lancets on my prescription and am using the few that came with it!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They will not magically disappear in a puff of smoke, but it is not recommended to reuse them. If you want to go on record telling people to ignore medial advice that's your choice

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine every test but GP is very good at supplying them 200 a month.
But if I were in your situation then yes I would reuse

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Use a new one each and every time .
When they get blunt they will 'hurt' more :arghh::inpain:

I use the lancet drums (6 per drum) and do get enough supplied
via GP .

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Its amazing ! Since I joined the forum I am able to learn from the forum members a lot of new information. Except one member ,most of the members commented that Lancets can be reused . I had been using lancets since 2006 and never reused a single lancet yet with the believe that reuse might cause inaccurate readings or might be unhygienic . Nobody in the pharmacy nor the doctor ever gave any clue that these can be reused at least for more than one time . With my post in this forum, I was able to learn how others use lancets and what are the points behind it. Thanks to all who shared their opinions on my post.

Reactions: 10 people