can metformin or lack of B12 make you sick?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
i posted about me thinking carbs were making me sick but ive just eaten a mushroom and cheese omelette so no carbs and again i feel sick to my stomach
ive not taken todays dose of metformin yet as ive only just eaten
im on 1000mg with first meal and 500mg second meal
also im thinking maybe to do with low B12, my levels were low to middle range when tested a few months back before starting metformin, ive not supplemented it for a long time now

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @licklemoose ..
A 3 egg mushroom and cheese omelette is estimated at 6g carbs (4g if you cut the cheese back to 1 ounce) so I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you you say NO carbs. This is a perfectly good meal if you are on low-carb or Keto - see recipe at .. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-mushroom-omelet
Obviously I can't give you medical advice about your low level of B12 but I am not aware of sickness being a symptom of deficiency. What I can say is that you can supplement B12 naturally by eating dairy products, eggs, fish, meat, and poultry .. or you can use Vitamin B supplements but you should check with your doctor first.
I suggest that you read up on the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need about carb levels and about what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try to eat small portions... it may not be carbs!! It could be intolerance to other foods like lactose from milk in a coffee/tea etc...

If sick feelings continue after trying to say eliminate milk for a week or cheese for a week then you need to speak to your gp and ask whether you need a check of your stomach made.

I

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Let me address the "sick to my stomach" issue you are having.....

I had a very similar reaction when I was diagnosed six months or so ago, I was put on 1000mg Metformin twice a day. I experienced no stomach upset issues, however my appetite took a dive and I acquired a nasty taste in my mouth and on my lips, it was the taste that upset me more than anything. I struggle to finish two slices of toast for my evening meal. At this point I had no idea why this happening to me, and dropped 15kg.

I am also taking Vit B, B12, C & E supplements.

About 3 months into my diagnosis I went into hospital for a minor operation to remove some particular nasty nasal polyps and I was told to not take any medication 24 hours before going in and while I was there overnight. After the op i actually enjoyed my lunch, dinner and breakfast the next day. It was at this point I realised it was the Metformin causing my issues. One local GP visit later I was put on Gliclazide and taken off of Metformin.

All was dandy until I started putting the weight back on. I made the decision to start taking the metformin again and carefully monitor my Gliclazide usage in conjunction with my BG meters. I have not had the same reaction to the Metformin again, and am managing to keep the weight off. win/win :)

I have been an avid reader of these boards for some time now, The usual advice for those who have bad symptoms from taking Metformin is to ask to be put on the slow release version of it, but this was not suggested by my GP. As with any change of meds, you are best off chatting to your GP about this, don't bother with the diabetic nurse as she will probably refer you to the GP.

Lastly I would say this: All this is written from my own experience of Metformin, take away from it what you will and good luck getting it sorted.

Jeremy

PS there is additional relevant discussion here:- http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/metformin-and-risk-of-vitamin-b12-deficiency.122698/

Last edited:

leobadilla

Metformin is frequently the primary medication you'll take in the event that you have type 2 diabetes - for some reasons.

It cuts down your glucose level threely