Can milk or other foods cause type1 in age 22?

type1man

I came to know that milk or some other food plays a major role in

type-1 diabetes but, i m 22years and have been drinking milk from

childhood. Can this be the cause for my diabetes?

(Please don't put your personal Email details on the public forum for your own security).

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Type 1man,and welcome to the forum. What an interesting question ! I hope someone has the answer for you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I came to know that milk or some other food plays a major role in

type-1 diabetes but, i m 22years and have been drinking milk from

childhood. Can this be the cause for my diabetes?
No-one has found for sure what causes T1diabetes, there are probably several causes. It could be a virus or an autoimmune condition, or genes or just plain bad luck.
It's unlikely to be anything you eat or drink.
We live in a *blame* culture. However you are almost certainly NOT reponsible for your condition. the scare stuff you read about various diets or overweight causing diabetes, mostly refer to T2 diabetes and in any case they don't account for the thousands of people who don't get it.

You were just unlucky
You were lucky to find us though, because there are lifelong T1 diabetics in this group, who have excellent control and can teach you things the Health Care Professionals don't.
You have no choice. You have to learn and cope. You are young and have a long life ahead, to live healthily.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Just about everything seems to increase the risk of diabetes these days... from the colour of the sky to deep sleeps!!

I think type1 is down to a genetics, not lifestyle or diet. Before diagnosis i was very healthy, rarely got sick or colds or ill, regular gym goer, healthy diet.

My personal opinion is that your drinking of the white stuff is not the cause of your diabetes, its just in your genes!

As hana said, you just have to learn about it and cope, that's probably not what you want to hear but as a support group, we're better of telling you how it is and helping you through it.

I was also diagnosed at 22 two and half years ago.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As Stu says, we don't know what causes Type 1. There is a gene that seems to predispose but the majority of people with that gene do not get type 1. There is something (or a mixture of things that triggers it) For every study that says that there is an association with the early introduction of cows milk ( or of infant formula) another says its not so. There are babies that diagnosed whilst still exclusively breast feeding.Certain viruses are frequently suggested as a possible trigger, there is a lot of research going on at present into this.

It may be that there are several slighlty different forms of type 1 with different triggers I got type 1 at 53 so I doubt very much that it had anything to do with how I was fed as a baby .
Whats certain is that as we don't know what caused it, there was nothing you could have done to prevent yourself developing it.

Once you've learnt how to control your BG levels there is very little that you can't do with type 1. I'm going skiing tomorrow and apart from testing my BG levels and making sure that I've got some glucose with me on the slopes, there won't be much difference to skiing pre diabetes. (except for being a bit older :wink: )

jopar

The 'why' question?

This part of diabetes, can for some diabetics cause more stress and up-set , than there diabetes! As humans I think we cope with a situation or illness better if we know why it has happened or as hana said be able to lay blame somewhere else!

The more the 'why' is researched, the more triggers are found, to why, could be, may do, might have played a part into 'why' we have diabetes...

Take me for example, not only do I have a twin sister, but we are the youngest of a family of 9 children, when I became diabetic 20 years ago it was a complete bolt out of the blue, as there was no histroy of diabetes to be found any where in the family, if you take that my oldest nephew is only 4 years younger than me, and now 20 years on with the family increaseing in size to great nieces and nephew (oldest being 17) and I have my own children oldest being 22, and I'm still the only diabetic!

Add to that my Husband is also a long sanding diabetic of 30 years, and was medicaly discharged from the RAF, and at the point that he became diabetic there was also no history of diabetes in his family, but in the last 10 years 1 uncle has become T2, and 1 of his uncles sons has become a T1 diabetic 2 years ago, so a history is starting to build..

So for me it's a case of the 'why' will always I think remain unanswered, and for hubby and his family they can go with genetics!