Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not all type 2's are to blame for their condition due to weight and lifestyle. Weight and lifestyle are contributing factors but not the whole picture. If it was simply these then surely a higher percentage of obese people would have type 2.
A lot of people are overweight these days and are not diabetic.
Whether your type 1 or type 2 your stuck with it. All you can do is manage it to the best of your abilities. Blame is not going to help anyone. Supporting each other is.
Let's all have a big hug and support each other. No one wants to be diabetic!

Over 700 Britons are diagnosed EVERY day with T2 (source - Daily Mail - June 2014). Only 30 with T1. That amazed the heck outta me. Both the raw figures and the percentages of T1 / T2. Heaven knows what it is if we had a worldwide extrapolated figure but a guess would suggest a factor of 5 or more should be applied given populations in other countries .

They label it as a disease .... it is far FAR worse than that in my opinion and is an epidemic of enormous proportions. .... and to think some fools can pay this lip service yet promote climate change as a more important global challenge bewilders me .... but enough of my minor rant. I'd simply prefer monies be directed to something that is real rather than something which is (in the opinion of many climate scientists) pure fantasy

Good post mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not all type 2's are to blame for their condition due to weight and lifestyle. Weight and lifestyle are contributing factors but not the whole picture. If it was simply these then surely a higher percentage of obese people would have type 2.
A lot of people are overweight these days and are not diabetic.
Whether your type 1 or type 2 your stuck with it. All you can do is manage it to the best of your abilities. Blame is not going to help anyone. Supporting each other is.
Let's all have a big hug and support each other. No one wants to be diabetic!
it's about 50% skinny and 50% fat for T2,.. people can't say it's caused by fat

edit.most people are fat, wrong info
In Australia in 2007–08:

• 61% of adults were overweight or obese, based on BMI calculated from measured height and weight (Table 1).

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I question the 96 over 95 map (does not make sense at all ... perhaps the sample ... obesity increased but diabetes (by state) declined ???) but that is truly frightening.

I won't decry ANY funds directed to other diseases (heaven knows they deserve attention as well) but this is WAY out of hand. A medical revolution is required .... now .....

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that the percentage of t2 diabetics who are obese or overweight on first diagnosis is over 80 per cent. I am not saying that obesity causes diabetes but the two are strongly linked.
it's still 50/50 but that's true too

edit for wrong info. most people are fat
In Australia in 2007–08:
  • 61% of adults were overweight or obese, based on BMI calculated from measured height and weight (Table 1).

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's still 50/50 but that's true too
Sorry Jack, I do not follow you.

Are you saying 50/50 split skinny/overweight amongst all t2 diabetics and 10/90 amongst newly diagnosed?

Surely when looking at a possible link between obesity and developing diabetes it is more relevant to look at the latter.

Hope you have had a good Christmas by the way and wish you s happy and healthy 2015!

Pavlos

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Jack, I do not follow you.

Are you saying 50/50 split skinny/overweight amongst all t2 diabetics and 10/90 amongst newly diagnosed?

Surely when looking at a possible link between obesity and developing diabetes it is more relevant to look at the latter.

Hope you have had a good Christmas by the way and wish you s happy and healthy 2015!

Pavlos
nope, I'm saying the 80% fat people are 50% of diabetics, the other 50% are skinny

edit for wrong, because most people are fat
In Australia in 2007–08:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It is an epidemic and diabetes is crying out for help.

Someone or something, must be put forward, not just by one country, to get this disease/condition investigated, Gathering up the astounding figures,hold a summit meeting, and putting the money into trying to save our human population, from complications and an early death. It's young adults and children being diagnosed with type 2 that is a huge worry and the many 1,000's of undiagnosed too. Mankind, on our already fragile planet cannot keep being overlooked or dismissed. It's a HUGE wake up call that needs addressing.
It's frustrating and uncaring.

RRB

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
It is an epidemic and diabetes is crying out for help.

Someone or something, must be put forward, not just by one country, to get this disease/condition investigated, Gathering up the astounding figures,hold a summit meeting, and putting the money into trying to save our human population, from complications and an early death. It's young adults and children being diagnosed with type 2 that is a huge worry and the many 1,000's of undiagnosed too. Mankind, on our already fragile planet cannot keep being overlooked or dismissed. It's a HUGE wake up call that needs addressing.
It's frustrating and uncaring.

RRB

Well said RRB :) Get the priorities right ... but don't expect our idiot western governments to lead the way. Far more meaningless issues to concern themselves with.

To borrow a line from the Simpson's Kent Brockman "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."

Nite to you :) Mike

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you RRB. It is frustrating and uncaring. What the world needs is education that carbs are the culprit and not fat and a better supply of healthy affordable foods. This would help very many T2's and pre-diabetics. It would have helped me 22 years ago. I may never have become diabetic had I known that. It is so upsetting when doctors/the media tell patients to help themselves by losing weight, but not how to do it. I don't believe T2 needs a lot more research, so this would leave more research money available for finding a cure for T1.

@Mike D - democracy works very well - for the fit and able and well off. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well said RRB :) Get the priorities right ... but don't expect our idiot western governments to lead the way. Far more meaningless issues to concern themselves with.

To borrow a line from the Simpson's Kent Brockman "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."

Nite to you :) Mike

Night Mike:)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
[QUOTE="zand, post: 716558, member: 85197"

@Mike D - democracy works very well - for the fit and able and well off. :)[/QUOTE]

When it represents the views of the majority and not those of noisy minorities, I'll concur :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nope, I'm saying the 80% fat people are 50% of diabetics, the other 50% are skinny

Can you provide any backup to your claim that 50% of diabetics are skinny? To be honest I find it hard to believe.

There may not be any evidence that being overweight causes diabetes, but there is an undeniable link between the two.

As I have already stated nine out of ten newly diagnosed t2 diabetics are overweight or obese.

Studies show that amongst people with pre diabetes a moderate amount of weight loss of say 5 to 10 per cent of their body mass will significantly improve the prospects of avoiding diabetes.

It is one thing to not want diabetics or obese people stigmatized and another to be ignoring advise that could save lives.

In my mind being obese does increase the risk of developing diabetes, amongst other health risks, and people should be strongly advised to do whatever they can to try to avoid it.

To try to deny the link between obesity and the increased risk of diabetes is highly counterproductive as that denies people the chance to take rectifying action to keep this disease at bay.

This is not to say that people are at fault or to blame if they are obese or do develop diabetes.

Pavlos

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put up a link ages ago, [anyone remember it?] I'd have to re google it, it was an aussie link

nope, it can't be right because 60% of aussies are fat, the 50/50 was wrongly remembered
In Australia in 2007–08:
I got messed up on metabolic syndrome, and fat and skinny, but it wasn't 50/50, so I still don't remember what that was all about :)
upload_2014-12-27_21-7-50.png

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Nothing's going to happen in the short term on global diabetes management. Everything is politicised and there is far too much money to be made by the food and pharma industries for them to tolerate any serious change, even with evidence swinging against them. Climate change is the same (different but still a significant issue) but with money being made/saved by other industries by doing nothing. In both what we need is truly independent assessment of unbiased data followed by disciplined action and that ain't going to happen under any realistic political system I can think of - democracy is toothless and dictatorships are corrupt - and/or the other way round.

Just my opinion you understand, I'm off out for a walk now ...

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Some heavy duty posts towards human category obese etc
and politics .

Please be mindful to not get into endless or wasted circular heated debate .

A lot of options have been repeatedly discussed within this thread .

Hot air and little solution(s) comes to mind here .

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Some heavy duty posts towards human category obese etc
and politics .

Please be mindful to not get into endless or wasted circular heated debate .

A lot of options have been repeatedly discussed within this thread .

Hot air and little solution(s) comes to mind here .

Anna, the point is that these discussions/debates, even if they resurface from time to time, serve to inform old and new members alike of what's going on in the real world out there, and to reinforce the objective of this site in providing the information and the means for members to support themselves and each other - i.e. the solution. Isn't that what this place is for? They sure aren't going to get the same level of back up elsewhere.

Scardoc

The final sentence explains it all. We have been here before with you. This is nothing to do with diabetes -- it is all to do with your views about 'society'. There are plenty of other forums for that sort of thing.

Yes, @equipoise - it is also to do with my views on society and diabetes is a huge part of society in general and an enormous part of my life.

Scardoc

I am CAROL I have diabetes I lead a very healthy lifestyle I eat lots of healthy food ( not the NHS approved one) I used to window clean with my husband I am as thin as a rake ,my diabetes is type 2 is it my fault? .
CAROL

@carty - no. I assume your question is posed as this thread has become an "All T2's are to blame" issue despite this never actually having been said or intimated.