Can someone help please?

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Hi all. I was diagnosed T2 in july when I went for a pre-op assessment and put on metformin 850mg twice a day. I got my hba1c down to 9 in september and just got my latest results back and they are now 15. How can this happen? I've reduced my portion sizes and changed my diet plus started exercising (cycling & walking) and quit smoking, I have also been diagnosed with IBS. I have been told that I can't have the op until my hba1c is NORMAL.

I have made an appointment to see the doctor Tuesday.

What can I do?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

My first question would be what have you changed in your diet? Sometimes the advice we get from the NHs isn't as good as it can be
If you could give a few examples of what you eat that may shed some light on things.

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you eat is of primary importance. To begin with, I ate less and ate 'simpler foods'. So, I'd have a plain white breadroll with a slice of ham. There was no butter or salad with salad cream, none of the trimmings and so on. I later discovered that it was the plain white breadroll that was causing the spikes. It was as bad as sugar. Try and post the sort of things you are typically eating now.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't had any advice from the NHS as I don't have a dn. I went on a desmond course & they told us to reduce portion sizes but not necessarily give up foods. On my own I've cut out sweets, chocolate, biscuits and white bread, I now eat wholegrain. I eat meat, fish, loads of veg & some fruit. I've even changed to canderel instead of sugar and eat 3 meals a day which I never used to.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Do you eat pasta, rice, cereals? Which veg and fruits do you eat?

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
I eat pasta & rice in small amounts about once a week and have porridge made with semi skimmed milk. I eat apples, bananas, grapes, brocolli, cabbage, small amount of potatoes, carrots, salad, tomatoes and melon.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't had any advice from the NHS as I don't have a dn. I went on a desmond course & they told us to reduce portion sizes but not necessarily give up foods. On my own I've cut out sweets, chocolate, biscuits and white bread, I now eat wholegrain. I eat meat, fish, loads of veg & some fruit. I've even changed to canderel instead of sugar and eat 3 meals a day which I never used to.
Congrats on giving up the sweet stuff & white bread,
Unfortunately I have never found wholegrain much better than white BG -wise:( Only one that was any better was Burgen Soy & Linseed.
As to veg some in the "starch Carb" category can push up BGs as can a lot of fruits.
The only sure may is to get a BG meter and test your foods for BG spikes. Sorry!
Edit Just got your last post:
apples, bananas, grapes,and melon<bad>
brocolli, cabbage, salad <good>
small amount of potatoes, carrots, tomatoes .can be OK if not too much! Swede & celeriac are good subs for potato

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hmmm, with an improved diet i do wonder if you are indeed type 2 at all, maybe worth asking the doc if you could be tested for late onset type 1, i don't know, its just not normal to improve your diet and get that much worse from what I've read anyway

although not low carb your diet isn't bad enough to make such difference in the wrong direction me thinks

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
My GP says that T2 are not entitled to meters. Wish we had a dn so I didn't have to see them but hey ho that's the way it goes.

Glad that people on here are so helpful at least then I don't feel so alone.

Thanks guys for the advice will see what dr says Tuesday & let you know.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My GP says that T2 are not entitled to meters. .
meters are available free from most manufacturers(inc ~10 strips) to get your strip business ~£16-25 /50or some cheaper strip meters (SD Codefree) are avail at ~ £12 strips 50/£7

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Remember, as a D, your D requisites should be VAT free.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Andy says, a proportion of those diagnosed as T2 will in fact be Late onset T1. If a low-carb diet doesn't bring the blood sugar down then more tablets can be added beyond the Metformin. If you turn out to be a LADA, then sadly, you will progress to insulin eventually. But let's not assume LADA yet so go for the best diet as suggested. Do get a meter as it's the only way you can see what's is going on. I bought my own shortly after diagnosis. If you do have serious control problems the GP can do some tests for LADA which are not fool-proof but worth doing if you can convince the GP. BTW how old are you and do you have a 'normal' BMI? Note that it might be possible to do the OP if the GP agreed to put you on insulin for a while.

mcdonagh47

Hi all. I was diagnosed T2 in july when I went for a pre-op assessment and put on metformin 850mg twice a day. I got my hba1c down to 9 in september and just got my latest results back and they are now 15. How can this happen? I've reduced my portion sizes and changed my diet plus started exercising (cycling & walking) and quit smoking, I have also been diagnosed with IBS. I have been told that I can't have the op until my hba1c is NORMAL.

I have made an appointment to see the doctor Tuesday.

What can I do?

a link below on IBS and diabetes ...
http://ibs.about.com/od/relatedconditions/a/IBS-And-Diabetes.htm

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yours is an all too familiar story. My GP did not say much, just gave me some forms to sign and an info pack. DN was as useful as a chocolate fireguard but did give me a meter when I asked but only allowed me 50 test strips per 2 months. That's no where near enough. The Desmond course showed plastic models of fried eggs, bacon and sausages. It was all routine and followed a procedure.

If anyone is going to successfuly control their diabetes they are going to have to learn about what foods work and what foods do not work for them. We all have different levels of type 2 diabetes and no one knows how much insulin we are producing, how quickly we produce it or how much damage we have to our beta cell mass. None of these things are measured and, as you have seen, some HCPs don't seem to be too interested in knowing what your blood glucose levels are. However, it is the one thing you can measure for yourself. Get a meter and test before and after each meal and work out what is best for you. Some people here may have 60% or 70% damage to their beta cell mass, some only 20% or 30%. No one knows for sure, the only thing you can do is test and limit further damage by not eating food that spikes you. Aim for BG levels as close to the normal as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having to take so many medications, having little energy.
My best friend living so far away in scotland.
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
Hi, im 45 and was told I was type 2, three weeks later after making lots of changes to my diet that i thought was right, i had a prick test at a local chemists and my bg was 31.9!! Bad miss of type one and am now insulin dependent type1. So yeah keep checking ur bloods and if its too high go see ur gp or if ur not happy with them go to ur local walk in center, thats what I did. Ended on a drip in the main hospital being told i was type 1 and getting an insulin shot. Ive changed what i eat and have to be carefull with exercise because of hypos, but feel so much better than before my diagnosis. Good luck xxc

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Update

Saw Dr today said my Hba1c was 6.3 not 15 as receptionist had said. He apologised & said he'll fetch it to their attention. Also going to refer me back to hospital for my op.

:D

Thanks for all the advice guys. Defo going to invest in a meter so no more upsets :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people