1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can we have something good to say about our NHS?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by helensaramay, Aug 31, 2017.

1. lowedb

lowedb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Being diabetic gets me an NHS exemption. Maybe that's not the case for those that are diet only, but otherwise I was sure we got them. Likewise diabetics get free eye tests don't they? I can't be sure because I get them free because there is Glaucoma in the family.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Diabetics should have a Medical Exemption certificate for prescriptions

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

Only those taking prescribed medication for diabetes are exempt, so those who are diet only don't qualify.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sometimes things happen that bring our good fortune into sharp focus.

Relatively recently, friends of ours who now live overseas (where the health care arrangements are pretty much like in the US) broke their ties with the UK, as they had no intention of returning to live here.

A couple of months ago, he started having a few problems, and saw a Doc, which led to lots of tests (with their accompanying bills) and eventually a diagnosis of the Big C.

His diagnosis cost him US$30,000, and now they're gathering their available funds for his surgery and associated treatment. Thus far he has paid for the very small tip of what could be a gigantic iceberg.

In UK, we rock up to our Doc, see someone within 2 weeks (If the Big C may be suspected), then move forward to treatment. At no stage are we required to put our hands into our pockets, save for perhaps the odd prescription.

Our system is a long, long, long way off perfect, but our friends' lives have become exceedingly emotionally uncomfortable of late and their financial situation may soon mirror that discomfiture. In their situation dealing with the diagnosis and prospective treatment is enough, without having to continually worry about how to pay.

Curiously, they're now considering that repatriating to the UK might be in the longer term picture after all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Actually, most of us don't pay prescription charges. There are many more people exempt than not exempt.. Only 10% need to pay. http://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB17644

From 2004 to 2014:
    • 89.9 per cent of all prescription items were dispensed free of charge, with 60.0 per cent dispensed free to patients claiming age exemption (aged 60 and over).
    @DCUKMod for info only - I believe cancer patients no longer pay for prescriptions.

6. serenity648

serenity648 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Diet only dont get free prescriptions. I have never been able to get free prescriptions at any time. We get free prescriptions in Wales but when I go to England to get medical treatment, which is most of the time due to where the services are fferred, i have to pay for my prescriptions. And for my opticians except the retinopthy test.

• Like Like x 1
  7. serenity648

this is changing as Universal Credit new rules are being rolled out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. lowedb

lowedb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well you are entitled to free NHS eye tests, not just retinopathy:
    https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/895.aspx?CategoryID=68
    You are right about no free prescriptions for diet only control, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bluetit1802

Not retinopathy? They are free annually from the National Screening Service

10. serenity648

not just retinopathy. I think maybe you speed read @lowedb 's post? In other words, not only retinopathy.

I had no idea, and have recently paid for an eye test at the local opticians, despite telling them i am diabetic, so will be popping in next week to find out why they charged me. Thanks @lowedb for that info.

11. Bluetit1802

Guilty as charged! My apologies. :banghead:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. dbr10

Sorry. That's what I meant.

13. dbr10

I remember that as a line Ministers came up with every time they increased them.
    To which the obvious reply was, well why are you increasing charges if is doesn't raise more revenue?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

On balance I like the NHS. It's like a Mum you go to when your finger hurts. You walk in and they do their best to fix you even if they have not been trained to do so.

Since I am a diabetic I think the biggest problem the NHS has in that regard is that they have to follow N.I.C.E. recommendations, but that brings on a conundrum. If they don't follow those then who do they follow? There are a large number of conditions I have no knowledge of so I can't judge those. Maybe N.I.C.E. are doing better with those.

I like the NHS but I think that N.I.C.E. needs to keep up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #114 Squire Fulwood, Oct 21, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  15. Bluetit1802

Other than dietary advice, the NHS has never let me down and has saved my life a couple of times. We all ought to be far more grateful we have it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

On the subject of prescription charges I believe that there should be a nominal charge of say 50p or a £1 per item which EVERYBODY pays regardless of what conditions with no exemptions at all. At a stroke this would stop all the fraud and cheating that goes on. It might also reduce a lot of the enormous wastage that goes on too

Ymdawd
    ( getting my asbestos pants on )

17. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They could follow the Scottish SIGN guidelines instead. Does not really matter as both are ignored anyway. Good example is SIGN guideline 55 which deals with Diabetes. One of the recommendations is that all newly diagnosed diabetics should be counselled for depression. Did I get any counselling from my GP.? Did I h*ll.? If doctors cannot agree upon and implement best practice what hope is there for the rest of us.?

• Like Like x 1
  18. dbr10

No need. I would suggest that that might cost more in administration than it raises in revenue though. Maybe we could put that imaginary £350m a week saving from the EU towards prescription charges.

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. dbr10

My doctors CAUSED my depression.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. cott97

cott97 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I actually like the French and other European systems where you pay a small amount when you see your GP. I really do believe that if everyone had to pay £5 for a GP consultation the problems with appointments would disappear overnight. Somewhere along the line we have forgotten how to self manage, though people on this site do tend to be different from the average patient. At Christmas I keep begging my GPs to only offer patients the antibiotic that makes you really ill if you drink alcohol - so many people turn up demanding treatment because they don't want xxxxx ruined due to a self limiting illness. The clue is in the name unless you have an underlying condition or are very young or elderly most colds, flu, sore throats etc are short term though granted very uncomfortable. They don't need medical intervention. Rant over. I am always grateful for the NHS particularly when taken ill in USA and have to hand over a credit card before I even join the queue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook