1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can we have something good to say about our NHS?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by helensaramay, Aug 31, 2017.

1. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Could well be a factor; but people who don't turn up have taken an available appointment from someone who might have needed it. Not really sure what the solution is which doesn't deter people from seeking help.

2. dbr10

Another story in the news today about health tourism in reverse - UK citizens travelling abroad for treatment because they can't get it, or can't wait for it, here.

3. dbr10

I think traditionally there is the NHS culture that treatment should be free according to need. I believe this is something we need to hang on to. So it's just a case of (probably) no proper systems in place. But the NHS obviously can't afford to turn down or lose money it could have.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbr10

I think that's true. If you don't make it easy for people to get through, the best of them will try to cancel, but they are not going to spend half a day trying to do it. I have the doctor's App. Without it I could get through to book an appointment to start with.

5. cott97

cott97 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We write to every DNA and after 3 we ask them to sign that they will attend in future or look for another practice, honestly maybe one or two every couple of months are errors but the rest are down to the patients.

• Like Like x 3
  6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

It may just be one Practice or lack of training etc?? But something just to add in from an experience of one GP 10000 patients..

7. cott97

cott97 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Every practice by its nature is different. We're down to one or two DNAs across all areas a day from 9 to 10, 16000 patients. I can understand the odd DNA - have done it myself with my son but the ones I find completely unacceptable are the repeat offenders and usually 3 DNAs in 6 months is the tip of the iceberg and the ones who call at 8.30 for an appointment and then fail to turn up 2 hours later. We follow these up as the concern is they've been taken very ill - so far they haven't...why put yourself through the difficulty of making an appointment if you're not going to turn up a few hours later? Once again I would love to blame a certain age group but the range is from all ages. That's when I think the charge would be effective and I never used to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook