Can You Do Running When You Are Diabetic

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Are you allowed to go running when you are diabetic please because I was told to go swimming and walk as my exercise I wasn't told to go running

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Of course you can unless there's another medical problem that prevents you from doing so, there's a few type 1's on the forum who do runs and marathons, hopefully they'll be along soon to advise.

For the time-being have a look at Runsweet, it's a great resource for type 1 who enjoy exercising:

http://www.runsweet.com/

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Of course you can unless there's another medical problem that prevents you from doing so, there's a few type 1's on the forum who do runs and marathons, hopefully they'll be along soon to advise.

For the time-being have a look at Runsweet, it's a great resource for type 1 who enjoy exercising:

http://www.runsweet.com/
Thank you so much

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you allowed to go running when you are diabetic please because I was told to go swimming and walk as my exercise I wasn't told to go running

Of course you can - just as @noblehead has said.

Watch the movie below for the basics.
Www.runsweet.com is a great resource, and look up www.teambloodglucose.com too. Join the T1 Facebook group to pick the brains of a few regular runners. (There will no doubt be a few along here soon to give some advice too)
Happy running!

Reactions: 2 people

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course you can. Diabetes doesn't stop you doing anything. You might need to do a bit more planning and think about a few more things blood sugar related, but it doesn't stop you.

Shawn Forrest is an Australian elite marathon runner and has type 1.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Of course you can. Diabetes doesn't stop you doing anything. You might need to do a bit more planning and think about a few more things blood sugar related, but it doesn't stop you.

Shawn Forrest is an Australian elite marathon runner and has type 1.
Thank you for your kind help

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In Sydney Saturday next week our local community athletics club has $$ prizes just for insulin dependent runners in a 2 mile race open to everyone.
See you there?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Sydney Saturday next week our local community athletics club has $$ prizes just for insulin dependent runners in a 2 mile race open to everyone.
See you there?
I'm in the UK.
Will the race be in the morning or afternoon?
I really must be home for tea time so a morning race would suit me best.:):):)

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
197 people ran in my local Parkrun last WE. I placed 3rd overall on age graded scores. Yes, diabetics can run, but most the most successful I know routinely ignore medical advice. Doctors doesn't know nearly as much as you think.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Without taking anything away from Shawn Forrest's fantastic achievements, he is only recently diagnosed, and possibly still a honeymooner. Before you try to copy the strategies of any diabetic athletes, recognise that many who perform well in their 30s and 40s go seriously downhill after the age of 50. Diabetes is a long game. Do what works long term. The techniques that got someone a sub 3 hr marathon at age 40 are not necessarily the ones you want to base your own treatment on.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Oh yes, if you want to go running, but any exercise is great for the mind and the body, there are many different types of exercising. Housework, gardening, diy etc, enjoy what ever you do.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi MangosteenElbow. According to the online results from that meet, there were no female participants in the race. How many of the males who ran were T1?

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
197 people ran in my local Parkrun last WE. I placed 3rd overall on age graded scores. Yes, diabetics can run, but most the most successful I know routinely ignore medical advice. Doctors doesn't know nearly as much as you think.
I know now I realize that