Can you help? Are you on or have you ever been prescribed statins?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A national newspaper journalist has asked for our forum members' experiences and contributions to a story she is writing about the use of statins. Please get in touch if you have ever suffered severe statin-related side effects or think that you may have developed diabetes as a result to statins.

Please contact Teresa or Sara at [email protected]

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to bump this topic as I think it's very important - we've had a lot of members over the years talking about problems they've had. Wish I could remember them all to tag them, but for starters, @graj0

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
At my last DN appointment she asked me about statins, I said can you put it on my notes, she did, but said it wouldn't stop them asking, Fgs whats the point!!!

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Just come off them. Had crippling pains in my hips especially at night which constantly woke me up. Two weeks later and while still some pain nothing as bad as it was. My cholesterol level was 4 on them, and 5 off them, and I eat nothing that could push it up do must be genetic. Was sent for an x Ray and nothing to explain pain apart from normal wear and tear.

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been prescribed them but prescription still in my bag . Will stick with diet and excercise to hopefully improve and lower cholesterol level.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I took a statin for about 6 months at the time I was on metformin and a high blood pressure tablet but no insulin.
I had constant indigestion and it go changed to another then took off whilst planning my second pregnancy 5 yrs ago.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If my cholesterol is down again at my next appointment I shall just stop taking the statins.

queenie01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can't dos and won't dos
Reactions: 2 people

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My g.p. Convinced me to take simvastatin, he said it would reduce my chance of a stroke or heart attack by 20%! My cholesterol total was 6.1 at the end of December, and my ratio 6.6
I have fibromyalgia, and find that I get a reaction to pretty much any meds., my gp wanted me to go onto 40mg straight away, but after reading the leaflet in the box , I got back in touch as it just didn't seem to make sense (for my circumstances) to be taking them at all. He convinced me, as I said... but I said that if I was going to take these tablets, I would feel happier starting on the lowest dose of 10mg. So glad I did too.. my pain levels shot up, and I felt like my leg muscles especially, were so much more sore! I have however, continued with them. I am due to see my gp on the 11th Feb., and hopefully he'll ask me to go back for a blood test. I have been eating a fairly low carb diet 100 carbs/day along with a bit more exercise than usual and plant sterols each day. I am hoping that this has had some positive effect on my cholesterol levels. I really want to come off these tabs., certainly don't want to have to increase the dose!

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
I have been on Simvastatin for years. As usual didn't want to take any new drugs. Talked to a GP friend who persuaded me it would be beneficial. Both my mum and her dad had heart attacks and it caused their deaths in 1969 and 1989. As far as I know I've not had any side-effects.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Mike D you might find this interesting too.

Sheesh @Brunneria

How did I miss this? Bit old now and perhaps just as well. My opinion has not changed. Downright dangerous and it's only now I have recovered from this despicable drug. I know others can tolerate them. but for me they were seriously bad. Pity it took me 6 months to work out by exclusion why I was suffering as I did. Looking back, the brawls with the doc over me stopping them were classic.

Last edited by a moderator: