Cannabis use and diabetes

Tony61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty,over whelming people,not being able to work...
I am type two,and have smoked it for over thirty years,during that time I have ran my own buisness for twenty of that time.I would like to see more reaserch in to diabetes and the use of cannabis,and if there are benefits or not,I do believe we are misinformed about,but it is about indervidual choice,I do know it helps my pains from nerve damage and helps my mood,which like my bloods they go up and down,please don't judge us that do smoke it,as it's our choice as it may be your not too,I can tell you it is not the gate way drug,it's no more that part of natures medicine cupboard

Reactions: Lawrence73

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
An interesting thread.
I'm open to drug intervention to keep people happy and healthy in their diabetic journey as long as its well researched before use. Like any diabetic drug.
Cannabis doesn't have to be a dirty word as long as medical controlled. For me.
Everyone is entitled an opinion. Right?

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
Hi there,

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread .
I in no way condone or promote the use of cannabis. I have been type 1 for 8 years now, I smoke recreationally from time to time, when in a social situation all of my peers like to have a drink, given the implications this has on my bloods and my personal ability to take care of myself, I do not, smoking is a way for me personally to enjoy a social night out. Given it has no evident effect on my bg during or after, and i know I will be in a fit state to take care of myself, I just wanted to get some views on smoking as a type 1.
P.s I am aware of the dangers linked cannabis, and personally I am comfortable with my judgment.
Many thanks
Fred
Hi Fred, I have had T1 for 66 years. I have never smoked cigarrettes, but after being diagnosed with MS, I started smoking cannabis. I wasn't very good at smoking! I started melting the cannabis in milk and drinking it! I only stopped when all the scare of psychosis started. Enjoy your 'weed' in moderation, it never did my diabetes any harm.
Carol x

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cannabis use led to psychosis in two members of my family. It's not a good choice for some. Does cannabis reverse diabetic complications or just reduce symptoms? Is there any research on this?

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am type two,and have smoked it for over thirty years,during that time I have ran my own buisness for twenty of that time.I would like to see more reaserch in to diabetes and the use of cannabis,and if there are benefits or not,I do believe we are misinformed about,but it is about indervidual choice,I do know it helps my pains from nerve damage and helps my mood,which like my bloods they go up and down,please don't judge us that do smoke it,as it's our choice as it may be your not too,I can tell you it is not the gate way drug,it's no more that part of natures medicine cupboard
No judgement here. I am in Canada and Marijuana will be legal July 2018. Restrictions, new rules and laws, distribution not yet finalized yet but quality controlled and decriminalizing to a certain degree. Multi-million dollar facilities are being built now and getting ready to employ thousands for research and production.

LOL, the last time I tried Mary Jane was about 50 years ago, and it wasn't for medical purposes ;).

But I am anxious to try Cannabis Oil for both my Type 2 control and my life-long Arthritis (Rheumatoid and now added Osteo).

Reactions: FatCatAnna

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes /insulin/ sleep Apnoea / apart from that not bad lol
hi there a
Hi Fred, I was going to comment but have learned a long time ago that there's no point discussing cannabis with a large segment of the population because of their belief systems and mis-information. But I know a Type 1 that has been smoking it for 30 years, is a professional, has multiple University Degrees, has a loving supportive family and does not appear to have any adverse health implications due to his consumption. Whether it contributes to his management of diabetes remains to be seen but he's never stressed and seems to be continually in a good mood. :) Cannabis has been a hot topic in Canada and you hear arguments from all sides - as the Country is supposed to Legalize it by next July it's absolutely fascinating to hear all the different view points.
hi there am glad someone has brought this up i did ,well lets say not alot of people said much about it on here but other forums swear by it for reduceing there sugars . ! i tryed it 3 months ago am type 1 hi blood sugars ,my partner doesnt condole this at all shes against canabis totaly !!! well in 2 months of having a 1 pipe in the morning and i mean only a bit half of a 1/2 pence !!coin , and 2 pipes at night and it brought down good . hbc's come down to 6.2 bloods started to regualur ,i controlled my weight ,it was working good .TILL MY PARTNER CAUGHT ME !!!! well all hell broke loose ,well i stopoped it after ,well my sugars went bloody nuts again . but now and then i have a little one . on my own lol am on new insulin which s working good tougue i think its called its better than lantos .well have a nice day oh one more thing/ when people say there are having a whitey its because of the sugar is leaving the body /so thats why people get munchies its the way to refill the body with sugar !!! the thing you have to watch what u smoke bong wat ever you use,how much u smoke tyo get the right amount to keep the sugar low ,then you can reduce insulin . which is then good for the body .l it works !! and alot of diabetics swear by it ///sorry about spelling i am delyxic

Last edited:

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cannabis use led to psychosis in two members of my family. It's not a good choice for some. Does cannabis reverse diabetic complications or just reduce symptoms? Is there any research on this?
i have soked canabis since i was 15 upto 38 ,but not a heavy user , did no harm to me . it all depends how much you smoke what your smoking ,and how you smoke . the thing is people abuse it thats why people have problems with it . BUT no one dies on it .,it helps alot of people../

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi peops,im clinton.im a type 1,40 years old and had diabetes at 25 when I stopped playing rugby.since then I used to smoke the hurb and have since everyday non stop...I find it always relaxing and having the condition I have it helps in many ways.the only thing that does bother me which is a concern for me is that it does make you lethargic,muscle usage is less due to the relaxing state it gives and ive actually lost lots of muscle mass.it is a energy taker.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi peops,im clinton.im a type 1,40 years old and had diabetes at 25 when I stopped playing rugby.since then I used to smoke the hurb and have since everyday non stop...I find it always relaxing and having the condition I have it helps in many ways.the only thing that does bother me which is a concern for me is that it does make you lethargic,muscle usage is less due to the relaxing state it gives and ive actually lost lots of muscle mass.it is a energy taker.
As I have mentioned in a couple of posts in this thread, have you tried Cannabis Oil instead of smoking? It does not contain the high dose of THC that gives you that lethargy. No smoking .. just put a few drops under the tongue.

K1RST1

Hi there,

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread .
I in no way condone or promote the use of cannabis. I have been type 1 for 8 years now, I smoke recreationally from time to time, when in a social situation all of my peers like to have a drink, given the implications this has on my bloods and my personal ability to take care of myself, I do not, smoking is a way for me personally to enjoy a social night out. Given it has no evident effect on my bg during or after, and i know I will be in a fit state to take care of myself, I just wanted to get some views on smoking as a type 1.
P.s I am aware of the dangers linked cannabis, and personally I am comfortable with my judgment.
Many thanks
Fred
I do exactly as you do. Been Type 1 for 30 years. Don't drink at all because of effects on blood sugars. I am a professional, have worked all my life, and have a beautiful and loving family. I have also had double cataracts and retinopathy. Now my eyes are stable and I'm off all hypertension drugs...... I am petrified of the state of the lungs though..... might look into the vape oil that folk are talking about.
Blood sugars.. well as long as you're careful with the munchies, no effect for me.
All the positive comments are a real boost...... I've always known I'm not the only sensible smoker....

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have soked canabis since i was 15 upto 38 ,but not a heavy user , did no harm to me . it all depends how much you smoke what your smoking ,and how you smoke . the thing is people abuse it thats why people have problems with it . BUT no one dies on it .,it helps alot of people../

Agreed, it truly does help some people, not convinced that it helps "a lot" though.

Now that cannabis is becoming legalized, and is now legal in some places, businesses are popping up throughout our community. Marketing of cannabis is ramping up throughout the world. The positives are being over stated, the negatives downplayed and ignored. I worry about children and teens increasingly being exposed to cannabis. Not good for developing brains which continues to age 25. It can and does cause paranoia and psychosis in some, and leads to schizophrenia in some. Not often, but it's a real risk.

The one positive aspect of legalization is increased safety due to the industry becoming regulated. Growing up in the 70's, you never knew when cannabis was "laced" with another drug. It happened to me once.

I have to say, I tried cannabis multiple times. Never liked it, nor did I like the way it affected the people around me.

My grandfather and mother were both functional alcoholics who were successful in their professional careers, but our family suffered.

For those who have what I describe as an addictive personality, myself included, I would not encourage anyone other than those who have a temporary or non-reversible medical condition to use cannabis daily. I'm not supportive of daily use of alcohol either.

That said, too many diabetics, like most people, are looking for the "magic pill" to resolve their diabetes issues. In my opinion, those who have diabetic complications are better served by gaining greater control of their glucose levels and reversing or stopping the progression of their complications as opposed to managing complications with cannabis. It took a long time, but Richard Bernstein, M.D., a type 1 diabetic, reversed all but one of his diabetic complications after decades of damage.

I facilitate a diabetes group. Age range of our members is 47 to 84. They are all suffering from one or more complications, and we've had a number of hospitalizations recently.

Am I opposed to occasional use of cannabis or alcohol? No. Am I opposed to children using cannabis to manage seizure disorders when no other treatment works as well or cancer patients? No. What about pain management? There are so many non-drug treatments available now, I'd encourage trying those first.

For those with diabetic complications, reversal or stopping the progression when possible is a better strategy, for me personally at least though I don't think I'm alone.

While some diabetics can use drugs short-term to manage their diabetes and complications while simultaneously changing their diet, taking specific nutritional supplements, and engaging in some form of regular physical activity such as walking, I'm not one of them.

I think anyone considering using cannabis needs to ask the question, "If I use cannabis will I maintain my resolve and determination to manage my diabetes and reverse my complications though diet, nutritional supplements, and physical activity?"

Just trying to balance the conversation. This is not intended as an attack on anyone's personal choices. It's your life. You get to choose what works best for you short-term and long-term.

Seanmccleery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed, it truly does help some people, not convinced that it helps "a lot" though.

Now that cannabis is becoming legalized, and is now legal in some places, businesses are popping up throughout our community. Marketing of cannabis is ramping up throughout the world. The positives are being over stated, the negatives downplayed and ignored. I worry about children and teens increasingly being exposed to cannabis. Not good for developing brains which continues to age 25. It can and does cause paranoia and psychosis in some, and leads to schizophrenia in some. Not often, but it's a real risk.

The one positive aspect of legalization is increased safety due to the industry becoming regulated. Growing up in the 70's, you never knew when cannabis was "laced" with another drug. It happened to me once.

I have to say, I tried cannabis multiple times. Never liked it, nor did I like the way it affected the people around me.

My grandfather and mother were both functional alcoholics who were successful in their professional careers, but our family suffered.

For those who have what I describe as an addictive personality, myself included, I would not encourage anyone other than those who have a temporary or non-reversible medical condition to use cannabis daily. I'm not supportive of daily use of alcohol either.

That said, too many diabetics, like most people, are looking for the "magic pill" to resolve their diabetes issues. In my opinion, those who have diabetic complications are better served by gaining greater control of their glucose levels and reversing or stopping the progression of their complications as opposed to managing complications with cannabis. It took a long time, but Richard Bernstein, M.D., a type 1 diabetic, reversed all but one of his diabetic complications after decades of damage.

I facilitate a diabetes group. Age range of our members is 47 to 84. They are all suffering from one or more complications, and we've had a number of hospitalizations recently.

Am I opposed to occasional use of cannabis or alcohol? No. Am I opposed to children using cannabis to manage seizure disorders when no other treatment works as well or cancer patients? No. What about pain management? There are so many non-drug treatments available now, I'd encourage trying those first.

For those with diabetic complications, reversal or stopping the progression when possible is a better strategy, for me personally at least though I don't think I'm alone.

While some diabetics can use drugs short-term to manage their diabetes and complications while simultaneously changing their diet, taking specific nutritional supplements, and engaging in some form of regular physical activity such as walking, I'm not one of them.

I think anyone considering using cannabis needs to ask the question, "If I use cannabis will I maintain my resolve and determination to manage my diabetes and reverse my complications though diet, nutritional supplements, and physical activity?"

Just trying to balance the conversation. This is not intended as an attack on anyone's personal choices. It's your life. You get to choose what works best for you short-term and long-term.

Tried to put up info regarding CHS son type 1 gastroparisis very poor control of sugars approximately six admissions to A&E this year want to make people aware of Cannaboid Hyperemesis Syndrome

Reactions: RAPS_od

Seanmccleery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
He's been type 1 for about 8-9years wouldn't control levels no matter how many times he was reminded about insulin, started to take weed at school peer pressure, started having DKAs neuropathy in stomach,we are a caring family but he wouldn't listen to us or doctors and basically would not engage with anyone trying to help.Then about three years ago started with CHS and is still in denial. I just want people to know about this condition as it only effects very few people but if more people are aware then maybe it will help them or their family.

PC16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like badcat smoked till I was diagnosed 3 year ago, 1 month with DKA in hospital the only thing I could do was quit smoking. I started on hash back when I was 17 and became a hardcore pot head from then on only when people started growing and hash was faded out, well good hash, I moved to weed. Different strains effect people in different ways and I feel that some "street" strains have such high levels of THC and god-knows what else in them, that the future for some users might not end well with problems such as Sean McCleery mentioned. Like Canada a non-munchie, clean and (BUD)light(lol) strain would be nice, but no doubt that would be GM and that opens a whole new world of future problems perhaps. I had a fare wack left when I went into hospital and as like others every now and again maybe once every 2 months I vaporise a small amount and like already mentioned I never know If am "high" or low(BG), then a few giggles then the munchies which I time well enough so they are part of my main meal, whether or not it relieves my constant leg pains or really effects my BG levels I can't say, all I know for sure is I could NOT use it in a social setting due to not being accustom to the paranoia any more, its a private "here's to the old days" for me unless it was fully legalised then my views might change as it became more socially accepted.

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults

Abstract
Background
There are limited data regarding the relationship between cannabinoids and metabolic processes. Epidemiologic studies have found lower prevalence rates of obesity and diabetes mellitus in marijuana users compared with people who have never used marijuana, suggesting a relationship between cannabinoids and peripheral metabolic processes. To date, no study has investigated the relationship between marijuana use and fasting insulin, glucose, and insulin resistance.

Methods
We included 4657 adult men and women from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 2005 to 2010. Marijuana use was assessed by self-report in a private room. Fasting insulin and glucose were measured via blood samples after a 9-hour fast, and homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) was calculated to evaluate insulin resistance. Associations were estimated using multiple linear regression, accounting for survey design and adjusting for potential confounders.

Results
Of the participants in our study sample, 579 were current marijuana users and 1975 were past users. In multivariable adjusted models, current marijuana use was associated with 16% lower fasting insulin levels (95% confidence interval [CI], −26, −6) and 17% lower HOMA-IR (95% CI, −27, −6). We found significant associations between marijuana use and smaller waist circumferences. Among current users, we found no significant dose-response.

Conclusions
We found that marijuana use was associated with lower levels of fasting insulin and HOMA-IR, and smaller waist circumference.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
In terms of cannabis as a substance it's very low down on the risk assessment in terms of harm; this is Professor Nutt's study that got him fired by Cameron for having the audacity to suggest a scientific approach to drugs and harm.

https://profdavidnutt.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/drug-harms-paper-a-summary/

So, as a 'weapon of choice' it's better than Stella or Vodka Redbull by far. If you vape it all the better I'd say, just try and avoid using tobacco with it.

I would slightly worry that being stoned could be confusing as to hypo symptoms and munchies could be a problem but both of those can be managed.

The only other issue is the legality but you know all about that.

Best

Dillinger

equipoise

I entirely understand the use of cannabis for pain relief. I entirely don't understand its use in any other context.