CANT EAT! 4 wisdom teeth out in pain

Yazzie

So five days ago I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out under general anesthetic.. I can't eat anything with lumps strictly soups and that although I feel so nauseous from eating far less and trying to control bloods that I'm eating only 500 calories a day if that.. I am resting but I'm also loosing weight rapidly 8 pounds in five days! If I control my diabetes to the best of my abilities am I going to be ok? Does it matter that I can hardly get any food down me? I'm not worried about loosing weight as I'm slightly overweight anyway I just feel it's so unhealthy to loose weight this quick I'm aware that when I eat normally it will go back on.. Some advise would be much appreciated I just want to know if it's ok to not be eating much at all when your told to have three meals a day at least!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you Type 1 or Type 2?

If you're type 2, I'd just treat it as if you're on the Newcastle Diet - many Type 2's follow a very low calorie diet for 1-8 weeks to try and reverse their Type 2, so without wanting to sound unsympathetic, you might actually be doing yourself a favour ;)

If you're Type 1, hopefully one of the Type 1 members will be able to help you.

There are many threads about the Newcastle Diet on this forum, so if you want to learn more, you can use the search option at the top of the page to find more info.

Best wishes and I commiserate about the pain - hope you feel better soon.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had dental work done and was only allowed to eat liquid and then soft food. I had to get creative with what I could eat - yes I did loose weight too.

It does depend on whether you are Type 1 or 2. If you are Type 1 then you have more flexibility.

The following is what I did as a Type 2: I grated cheese into my soup, it melts and doesn't affect it being liquid but adds calories. I ate sugar free jelly (although very little calories it does fill you up). I blitzed up tinned apples (10g carbs per 100g). Drink milk or make it into milky hot drinks. Ground rice pudding is good.

As the healing progressed, I went onto pate and cheese spread.

I wouldn't normally say this but sometimes you have to have less control over your blood sugars as you do not want to get an infection in the extraction site and need to eat the liquid and semi-solid food. Another thing you can do is to rinse with corsodyl after eating.

When I had my wisdom teeth out at the hospital years ago, the gums were stitched up, but other extractions I had at the dentist weren't and the reason they tell you about the liquid diet is to prevent a dry socket which is not very nice and needs antibiotics.

Yazzie

I'm type 1 and am just concerned about the low calorie intake really as my blood pressure has gone low and I've become very weak. Blood pressure is 90/70 right now although it has always been low or normal..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App