Can't get my bloods down

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 about 2 and a half weeks ago and don't have my first appointment with the nurse until Tuesday. I have been testing my bloods every morning before breakfast on a free meter I got (only had 10 strips) and the have been anywhere between 18 and 14 which I'm guessing is bad.
I have been doing my best to eat less than 1600 kcal and under 130 carbs the carb bit has been very hard I'm not even sure if that's to much.
Any ideas why my my bloods are to high and what I should be asking the nurse when I see her for the first time
Thanks
Kirsty

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me when I was believed to be a type 2, and even now that would be way too many carbs. I have always stayed under 20 as many of us do. Our carb tolerances vary of course but your meter is telling you that's too many carbs.
Lots of us self fund meters and strips. Not fun I know but it's the only way we can see how a food effects us.

Edited by a mod to,avoid confusion

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema and Kt0905

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me when I was believed to be a type 2, and even now that would be way too many carbs. I have always stayed under 20 as many of us do. Our carb tolerances vary of course but your meter is telling you that's too many carbs.
Lots of us self fund meters and strips. Not fun I know but it's the only way we can see how a food effects us.
Is that 20 carbs in a full day? Also you said used to be type 2?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What are you eating for breakfast? The idea of testing, before you eat and 2 hours after, is to see what food has an affect on your sugars. Most folk have early morning readings, it's your bodies way of dumping glucose/energy to get you going for the day.

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What are you eating for breakfast? The idea of testing, before you eat and 2 hours after, is to see what food has an affect on your sugars. Most folk have early morning readings, it's your bodies way of dumping glucose/energy to get you going for the day.
I have been testing before I eat in the morning about 7:30am I've been having a slice of toast then one of my tablets. A tablet after my evening meal. I go up to 3 tablets tomorrow. I have not been testing any other times I just thought it would be good to have a few readings before my first visit to the nurse.
Thanks

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Kt0905

Hi Kirsty and welcome to the forum. For many people, the first test of the day before breakfast is often the highest reading of the day. Try not to stress too much about it and make the best choices you can throughout the day. It will come down in time once you get used to your new way of eating. Have a look around the forum to see what others are eating.

Moderator @daisy1 will no doubt post some useful information for you.

Reactions: Kt0905

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you I'm finding it very hard but sure after my first appointment I will be given some information on what I should and shouldnt be doing.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Your diabetes nurse may well give you some information about diet but some people find that the diet recommended by most of the medical establishment isn't really too successful in reducing blood glucose. Many people on this forum find they have gained more control of their blood glucose by reducing the amount of carbs they eat. Obviously other ways of eating are available. :)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirsty and welcome. Yes, it's all very confusing at first but you'll soon gain an understanding about your BG, testing and foods. Your early morning reading may well be being pushed up by what's known as the dawn phenomenom which is due the liver dumping glucose. It's a pity you don't have more test strips as your after breakfast readings would be useful. A slice of toast isn't an ideal diabetic breakfast - it's quite high in carbohydrates and will tend to push your BG up. Even half a slice pushes mine up.
I don't count carbs, I'm too lazy. I just avoid high carb foods and the strategy works for me, but may not for others as we are all different.
Hang on in. You'll soon feel more settled and you get lots of useful help and support here.

Dave

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you I'm finding it very hard but sure after my first appointment I will be given some information on what I should and shouldnt be doing.
My own top tips to be going on with would be -
- Avoid the major carbs such as sugar, cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, pastry, rice and tropical fruits
- Do a bit of gentle exercise as it will help bring down your numbers while relaxing you
- Try not to stress as it will just put your levels up
- Come back here after your appointment

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you
I should hopefully have more strips and can start testing more I only had what came free with the meter.
Thanks for the support

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
- Avoid the major carbs such as sugar, cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, pastry, rice and tropical fruits
- Do a bit of gentle exercise as it will help bring down your numbers while relaxing you
Thank and will do

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you
I should hopefully have more strips and can start testing more I only had what came free with the meter.
Thanks for the support
Many of us type 2s don't get strips on prescription. Some people are lucky though. Fingers crossed for you!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the forum. Keep posting any question you may have and spend some quality time reading through threads here.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that 20 carbs in a full day? Also you said used to be type 2?
Yes, 20 per day. Sometimes even less. All from above ground low carb veggies, avocado and a few nuts and seeds.

I was type 2 for years. Always had to watch carbs. I had a virus 8 years ago and that was the first I heard I had high bs. Then I got a monitor and tested often. I controlled it very well with diet and some exercise until 3 years ago, at 50 years old. I started wasting away rapidly and finally diagnosed as LADA. Insulin dependent. I'm not sure if it's genetic as I'm adopted or from the virus. No way to know and doesn't really matter, it is what's it is..

I've always gained weight and felt like rubbish with anything over 20 carbs per day. That sounds about all my stomach can handle anyway. That's ok as I love fatty gooey foods like mayo and avocado. I'd take that over toast any day. In fact I do!!! I eat avocado and turkey for bf!!! More avocado at lunch and dinner too. Love it. I'd rather eat eggs with cheese or steak, chicken, tuna salad than the toast. I prefer my burgers bunless. Do I like toast? Of course but it's more what you put on it that holds the flavor. Like butter or nut butters.

It's a lot to wrap your head around but as said, bread, pasta, rice, potato etc are not friendly diabetic foods for most of us.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd add two more tips to this list:
  • Remember the old saying that "Rome wasn't built in a day!" So don't expect instant miracles... Your glucose will come down over time if you cut out those high carb foods that have already been recommended.
  • Keep on testing and use the results to modify your diet to avoid any high spikes in your glucose levels - our meters are one of the most important tools we have to help control our diabetes.
Robbity

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kt0905

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, 20 per day. Sometimes even less. All from above ground low carb veggies, avocado and a few nuts and seeds.

I was type 2 for years. Always had to watch carbs. I had a virus 8 years ago and that was the first I heard I had high bs. Then I got a monitor and tested often. I controlled it very well with diet and some exercise until 3 years ago, at 50 years old. I started wasting away rapidly and finally diagnosed as LADA. Insulin dependent. I'm not sure if it's genetic as I'm adopted or from the virus. No way to know and doesn't really matter, it is what's it is..

I've always gained weight and felt like rubbish with anything over 20 carbs per day. That sounds about all my stomach can handle anyway. That's ok as I love fatty gooey foods like mayo and avocado. I'd take that over toast any day. In fact I do!!! I eat avocado and turkey for bf!!! More avocado at lunch and dinner too. Love it. I'd rather eat eggs with cheese or steak, chicken, tuna salad than the toast. I prefer my burgers bunless. Do I like toast? Of course but it's more what you put on it that holds the flavor. Like butter or nut butters.

It's a lot to wrap your head around but as said, bread, pasta, rice, potato etc are not friendly diabetic foods for most of us.
Thank so much for all the information, keep safe x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. When I was diagnosed I bought strips off the web as they can be cheaper. Manufacturers will supply a few meter so find one that uses cheap strips - the SD Codefree is worth looking at. Can you let us know what your weight/BMI is and whether you've lost weight unexpectedly recently. Occasionally those who present as slim at diagnosis may be late onset T1 and not T2. Hopefully the Metformin and the low carb diet will help you but if not do discuss the diagnosis with the GP/DN and come back here. As others have said be aware that NHS diet advice may not be good for us so follow the dietary advice on these forums.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

It's important to know that the blood sugars are high from individual high carbs, but that the effect is also cumulative, so that when first diagnosed everything will be high, as you cut carbs including sugars out of your diet then your individual numbers will start to come down and so will the averages as well, it takes quite a while to transition between the two even if you adopt the 20 carbs per day strategy immediately.

welcome to he club no one wants to be in !