Can't get my bloods down

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 about 2 and a half weeks ago and don't have my first appointment with the nurse until Tuesday. I have been testing my bloods every morning before breakfast on a free meter I got (only had 10 strips) and the have been anywhere between 18 and 14 which I'm guessing is bad.
I have been doing my best to eat less than 1600 kcal and under 130 carbs the carb bit has been very hard I'm not even sure if that's to much.
Any ideas why my my bloods are to high and what I should be asking the nurse when I see her for the first time
Thanks
Kirsty

Hi @Kt0905 :)

You could ask the nurse what your blood test result was when you were diagnosed. That's always useful to know. Ask for an actual number, not 'it was a bit high' or whatever.

If you don't have any/many risk factors for Type 2, you might also want to ask how you were diagnosed to be Type 2 rather than late onset Type 1.

I suggest making a list of questions and anything that's concerning you, as it's really easy to,forget things once you're at your appointment.

Let us know how you get on :)

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome. When I was diagnosed I bought strips off the web as they can be cheaper. Manufacturers will supply a few meter so find one that uses cheap strips - the SD Codefree is worth looking at. Can you let us know what your weight/BMI is and whether you've lost weight unexpectedly recently. Occasionally those who present as slim at diagnosis may be late onset T1 and not T2. Hopefully the Metformin and the low carb diet will help you but if not do discuss the diagnosis with the GP/DN and come back here. As others have said be aware that NHS diet advice may not be good for us so follow the dietary advice on these forums.
Hi
My weight is 11.5 bmi is about 30. Not really lost Amy large amounts of weight 2lb this week but that's property down to lowwring my carbs and kcal over the past week.

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Kt0905 :)

You could ask the nurse what your blood test result was when you were diagnosed. That's always useful to know. Ask for an actual number, not 'it was a bit high' or whatever.

If you don't have any/many risk factors for Type 2, you might also want to ask how you were diagnosed to be Type 2 rather than late onset Type 1.

I suggest making a list of questions and anything that's concerning you, as it's really easy to,forget things once you're at your appointment.

Let us know how you get on :)
Thank you
After fasting my first blood results was 19.4.
First appointment tomorrow so will ask everything I have been advised thank all so much
Kirsty

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Kt0905 - Hello and Welcome to Forum :).
If you don't have a Blood Glucose Meter and not given one by the Practise Diabetic Nurse? Here is the website for the SD Codefree Meter which popular and used by a lot of Forum Members as the Test Strips are the cheapest to buy.

http://homehealth-uk-.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose/

5 packs = 264086. 10 packs = 975833. These are discount codes for buying in bulk.
Also state you are Diabetic for vat exemption and we use mmol/l here in the UK.

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advise. Had my first appointment today.
She tested my bloods which had gone to 12.3 that was about 2.5 hours after my lunch. I know it high but also the lowest it's been on a test. She was happy with that I have only just gone to 3 tablets a day.
They have given my 50 needles and strips but did say after that I would not get any more. Unless bloods still really all over the place.
Mum was type 2 before she passed away and could have come from that. As she said I was quite young to have just developed it.
On the 12th Dec my hba1c was 105 during blood tests I had when I was having my miss carriage and my fasting test on the 5th of Jan was 92. She said it could have been this high due to the stress of the miss carriage.
She has set me up for eye test, feet and said will do my bloods again in 3 months to get new hba1c reading.
Diet information she gave me I not sure if out of date as mention eating starchy foods but everywhere else says don't?
Starting to feel a lot better about all of this so again just want to thank you for all the support

Kirsty