Can't prick my own finger

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Big thumbs up for the Abbot Freestyle meters, easiest to use, least blood needed in the sample and most consistantly accurate in my experience, they always tie in well to my HBA1c results too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
I just can't. I don't know why. I certainly have had my share of pain over the years. I couldn't even let my husband do it. I followed all the hints for a less-painful test, but still couldn't press that button. I got myself all worked up and nervous, wasted a test strip and have no reading. :(

I am NOT good with pain, at all. Any other tips to make this easier? Do you ever really get used to it?

Thanks. Feeling like a major loser at the moment.

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to sound harsh, but since you have diabetes you need to get used to needles and finger pricks are the least to worry about....

You do sound very harsh my friend and I say this as an insulin useing diabetic that needed psychotherapy (provided by my diabetic unit) to use a needle with an insulin pen. Until you have walked a mile in anothers shoes. These blogs are for support and just get on with it in most cases wont cut it.

Ann Rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mushrooms, beets, violence and mean people.
Fallgal, you are NOT a loser! You're adjusting to a new way of life, with new and additional routines and needs to keep your body healthy. I was in your position a few weeks ago, utterly terrified of pricking my fingers. I've found that setting a specific time for testing, and even putting on soothing music, helps me gain the courage to "snap" myself (I think of the pricks to draw blood as snaps, don't know why). Using a lower setting on your lancet device certainly does help minimize pain, as does making sure your fingers/hands are warm and dry. I've also found that wrapping a rubber band or hair band (the small plastic ones) around the finger I'm going to test with makes the process a lot easier, eliminates a lot of fruitless squeezing of my fingers to get enough blood to sample. (Pricking your finger and then not getting enough blood for a sample is so frustrating, then you have to prick again.) Can you meet with a diabetes educator to talk strategies or tips to help make tests less painful and/or stress-inducing? Promise yourself a non-food reward after the test? Have your husband hold your hand or hug you while you test?

I hope you're now testing easy, or at least easier.

S

Sable_Jan

Sable no to your Q some have lances for ages (months) l change when l give up getting blood but as normal have to have it set on 4 or l have no chance. Not had infections or wrong readings, you wouldn't get wrong readings as you are not putting blood onto just a hole into to bleed out off. And infection my body wallops things all the time l am always tripping, cutting bruising so it just rolls it's sleeves up swears and sorts.

Some people do use fresh ones every time, those of us more laid back (lazy) make do until we get enough ouches for the brain to poke us and say... errm idiot you want a fresh on there or do you like pain?
Thanks for this :) I've just been using one a day now :D which will cut costs somewhat but I "ouch" every time even with a new one - could be cos of the arthritis in my fingers though (which also rules out the "between nail bed and first knuckle" someone suggested)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Suck it up! Prick or die ;-)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've started testing several times a day again now.
Just realised, when I look closely, it looks like pincushion. :yuck:

Maybe it's time to move onto a different finger.
But I did accidently put a posidrive screwdriver trough the end of the one next to it, it's just healed over, and regained a fingerlike shape, so maybe not that one!
It does get easier with time, so keep at it, it never hurts as much as you believe it will.

Reactions: 3 people

anniwoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, Simon Cowell and spiders
cant get the hang of mine so just stabbed myself in the finger just using the needle part:arghh:

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

cant get the hang of mine so just stabbed myself in the finger just using the needle part:arghh:
Yes I had to do that for a couple of days when my lancer tool packed up and was waiting for a new one didn't find it to bad really doing it that way

Reactions: 2 people