Carb and fasting

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello all

I am confused about fasting. I think I am insuline resistance not sure.

But I am trying 18 hours fast nd 6 hours eat Window Only 2 meals all week and healthy meals.
But now I eat carbs. So I eat Rice not the white one but quinoa spelt. I eat patotoes. So how does it work how does it help with insulin resitance.

Any way low carb did not help me to loose weight so it is not for me a tool for insulin resistance.
I really don t now why?

If you loose te weight then your insulin resitance does go away? Does it work with all people?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Flair !

Do you have a diagnosis of diabetes? Your profile says you don't, but maybe you didn't fill it in?

Have a look at these two links:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-types.html
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin-resistance.html

A low-carb diet helps people with diabetes because it lowers the amount of sugars going into the body and, therefore, reduces the amount of sugar available for our red blood cells to absorb. It can, over time, also help with weight loss as you're generally eating a healthier diet and because carbs (sugars) when not used for energy get turned into fat. When you limit your carb intake, your body starts burning fat for energy.

Both rice and potatoes contain high amounts of carbs. If you have been eating those while on your diet - even while fasting intermittently - you probably haven't reduced your carb intake enough to feel its impact.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

• Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
  • Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
  • Very-low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs
Generally speaking, the lower your carbohydrate intake, the more likely you are to lose weight and the lower sugar levels you are likely to have.

It’s important you choose a level of carbohydrate that works well for you.

For example, people with type 1 diabetes that do not need to low weight may wish to aim for a low or moderate carbohydrate intake.

Someone with type 2 diabetes, or needs to lose weight, may wish to aim for a very-low carbohydrate (ketogenic) intake.

Other people may well be along shortly with more / better info than me, but that's my understanding of it!

Chadders1966

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
People who refuse to listen
If your eating carbs and fasting, your just wasting your time. Cut the carbs and fast and you can't go wrong. How many grams of carbs did you go down to? I limit myself to 20 grams a day for weight loss, and no more than 50 if I fancy being a bit naughty at the weekend

Reactions: ringi

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all

I am confused about fasting. I think I am insuline resistance not sure.

But I am trying 18 hours fast nd 6 hours eat Window Only 2 meals all week and healthy meals.
But now I eat carbs. So I eat Rice not the white one but quinoa spelt. I eat patotoes. So how does it work how does it help with insulin resitance.

Any way low carb did not help me to loose weight so it is not for me a tool for insulin resistance.
I really don t now why?

If you loose te weight then your insulin resitance does go away? Does it work with all people?

You've not been diagnosed with diabetes or insulin resistance so the best thing to do is to see a doctor and get some tests done.

Then you'll know your situation and be able to act appropriately :)

Guessing at a diagnosis isn't wise as you could have something completely different eg thyroid problems, etc

Reactions: SockFiddler

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello all

I am not diabetes. I have a lot of test done.
My hbac1 is 32 20/42

My blood glucose is 5 in blood test. I did do low carb very LOW 20 carbs and for 1 year did not loose weight.

My doctor only test hbac1 and blood glucose and say my sugar is normal.

So I hear different stories online anouk insulin resistance. I will not get a glucose intolerant test because my doctor say I am okay.

But I do have almost impossible loose weight and I did have pregnancy diabetes That is now over.
I have also Black skin on my neck acanthosis nigricans. Which can be by insulin resistance. Morley did say how to do intermitting fasting and it was not by low carb but by fasting. That is what I don t understand.

So it is difficult to now if I am insulin resistance.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Flair

Your HbA1c is healthy and normal - you do not have insulin resistance; your body is moving, accessing and using sugar appropriately. Your BG of 5 also indicates that you are completely fine and not experiencing insulin resistance.

I'm still unclear on what you tried for a year: "Morley's" fasting regime where you ate potatoes and rice when you did eat anything, or an actually low-carb diet where you reduced you carb intake and ate a consistently low level of carbs in your food?

My understanding of a daily intake of 20g carbs is that you should enter ketosis, which is where your body starts burning fat for fuel. Read here for more info:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/keto/

I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that attempting to both go low-carb and fast at the same time is just going to make you confused, hungry and eat a lot on the days you allow yourself food. And if you fast / very low carb for 5 days a week and then eat rice and/or potatoes on the other 2 days... well, I'm not sure a low-carb diet can be achieved by majority. Consistency is everything - 5 days off, 2 days on just doesn't make any sense.

We do have people who fast (and low carb) here, but they got there after years of seeing what worked and didn't work for them: @bulkbiker is one that springs to mind (have a look at some of his posts).

Congrats on losing the Gestational Diabetes. If you're still worried about your numbers (which, again, seem absolutely fine) you can always get yourself a meter and start a self-test regime. But my advice would be to pick a single form of dieting (eg either intermittent fasting OR low carb - without the starches) and give that a go for a month.

Consistency is everything. I know it can be frustrating when you feel your doctor isn't listening to you, but - honestly, your HbA (an average over roughly 3 months) and your BG of 5 are (sugar levels there and then) are both very good.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all

I am not diabetes. I have a lot of test done.
My hbac1 is 32 20/42

My blood glucose is 5 in blood test. I did do low carb very LOW 20 carbs and for 1 year did not loose weight.

My doctor only test hbac1 and blood glucose and say my sugar is normal.

So I hear different stories online anouk insulin resistance. I will not get a glucose intolerant test because my doctor say I am okay.

But I do have almost impossible loose weight and I did have pregnancy diabetes That is now over.
I have also Black skin on my neck acanthosis nigricans. Which can be by insulin resistance. Morley did say how to do intermitting fasting and it was not by low carb but by fasting. That is what I don t understand.

So it is difficult to now if I am insulin resistance.

Your HbA1C and blood glucose are normal :)

Acanthosis Nigricans can also be caused by thyroid problems and PCOS, amongst other things.

Diabetes has been ruled out, I suggest you return to your doctor for some other tests, and explain your weight loss difficulties.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a difference between fasting for diabetes (Dr Fung) , fasting for general health/weight loss (Dr Mosely) and the many other types of fasting regimes.

@Flair If the new/any diet is working for you and you lose fat around the middle of your body then that will help with insulin resistance but do speak a doctor for advice/tests on difficulty in loosing weight as @azure suggested.

My hbac1 is 32 20/42

Are you saying your last HBA1C was 42? this is not clear at all

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Flair you are assuming that you have insulin resistance...perhaps it would help if there has been additional test to determine your insulin levels. And if they are higher than normal, try to narrow down the causes. Low carbs and fasting would have brought it down significantly.