Carb confused

Nixon786_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was recently diagnosed with type2. Been advised to eat low carb. So went shopping looking at the white rice carb and brown rice is not much difference like porridge as well. So my question is am I not reading the carbs the right way because it looks all similar. Please help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was recently diagnosed with type2. Been advised to eat low carb. So went shopping looking at the white rice carb and brown rice is not much difference like porridge as well. So my question is am I not reading the carbs the right way because it looks all similar. Please help.

Yep that's correct white or brown they are just as bad..

Take a look here for some meal ideas

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb all free

and here..

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

Once you can figure out that most pre prepared food is not good and fresh is best (green above ground veg, eggs, meat, dairy) it gets easier.. really.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than being advised to eat low carb (which is the best way to go), were you advised to choose "good" carbs such as wholemeal rice, bread, pasta and cereals? All carbs, no matter what colour, convert to glucose once inside the system. A slice of white bread has similar carbs to a slice of wholemeal.

Can you tell us what diabetes medication you are on, then any responses can be tailored to that?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For type 2 it is best to cut down or avoid high carb foods including breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Fruit juice is high sugar, so best avoided as are fruit such as grapes and bananas.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Something can have the same amount of carbs but be low GI or high GI.

At the end of the day you need to cut back on carbs, fullstop - but choosing low GI over high GI could help even out the spikes of high blood sugar..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If anyone has doubts about the low carb diet I would say 'You only have weight to lose and bg to lower so what's the harm?'. I have been low carbing for just over four weeks and within that time I have made some mistakes but I have lost exactly one stone. I have joked that on my way home I would buy a family sized pork pie! The sugar craving lasted about ten days then it was easier as time went on. I get the results of my hba1c tomorrow if they have not gone down I will be very, very surprised. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got my first set of results after diagnosis I didn't know if I should laugh or cry - so I did both.
Low carb is very effective - it is probably why I am still here though I do wish I could have stuck to it without interference from people who should know better. I was perfectly happy to weigh 137 lb - and to have a 24 inch waist.