Carb counting carb alternatives

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys was just wondering how do I carb calculate and what can I replace carbs with

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @ShyLily ..
Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I suggest that you follow the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum .. and the following Diet Doctor websites which will give you all the info that you need on calculating carb values and on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

If you have not already done so, it is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available
I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Remove the starch such as bread or potato and replace with more veg and fat. This could be in the form of butter or cream on the veg or melted cheese. When you add the fat you find that you don't need nearly as much volume. There are lots of nutritional calculators on the web or you can buy a book with the values. Packaged foods have it on the packaging just watch the portion size as often the size listed is unrealistically small.