Carbs in Greggs Pasties / Sausage Rolls

davehunter

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the (approx) number of carbs in a Greggs Pasty and/or Sausage Roll. They don't quote it in any of the carb books/sheets that I have or on their website but I wonder if anyone has kind of worked it out?

I have just had 3 so would like to know :lol:

Cheers
Dave

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello Dave,

I'd hazard a guess that it's around 40g for the pasties and 30-35 for the sausage rolls.

Merry Christmas,
timo.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
There's 26g of carb per 50gm of shortcrust pastry so find the weight of sausage roll or pasties and multiply.

davehunter

sugarless sue said:
There's 26g of carb per 50gm of shortcrust pastry so find the weight of sausage roll or pasties and multiply.

I'm afraid they're now in me so it'll be a little difficult to weight :roll:

I took 11.0 Units based on the calculation of 40G + 40G + 30G (s.roll).

Turns out this was a little too much.

With a starting BM of 8.0 I should've done 10.0 :idea:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I've a bag of mini pasties which declare at 28.6 carb per 100gm.Not the same I know but a rough guide.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's A LOT! I hope they tasted delicious, because they weren't good for you.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry that I wasn't bang on. The fat content may have messed things up a bit, particularly
if you're using one of the quicker acting rapids.

Regards,
timo.

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - new to the forum but this is a topic which interests me (not the Greggs pasties but the carbs issue).

I've been T1 for nearly 10 years now and it seems that the older I get the more difficult it is to control BG and the more stuff I'm being told is bad for me and I've got to cut out. Seems even the things I thought were better than the sugar packed diet I used to enjoy are now not acceptable.

Just so you know my latest HbA1c (last week) was 8.3. It has been better in the past but frankly getting fed up with having to modify my diet and eat things which I dislike (broccoli - spawn of the devil!!) in order to keep something like reasonable levels. I enjoy (reasonable amounts of) bread, potato, pasta, meat, vegetables, fruit etc, but now am told to "significantly reduce" my carb intake.

At 55 I would like to enjoy life but it seems to get more difficult, and to be honest the "professionals" I see are more interested in getting me in and out of the clinic than really helping me to understand the issues and finding out more about me and how I can manage my condition better but at the same time have a quality of life.

You all seem to know more about it than the pros (presumably because you live with it every day like I do) so thought I would ask for opinions/advice.

TIA

Stewart

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Hi Stewart,welcome to the forum.There are a lot of complex carbs in bread,pasta,rice,potatoes and flour based products.By cutting down your portions of these you can significantly reduce your blood sugar levels.Get your self a Collins Gem Carb counter/Calorie counter book ,either is good,This way you can look up all the foods that you do like and work on a reduction of your carbs without losing out on the things that you like.You don't even have to eat broccoli if you don't want to! :lol: I substitute cauliflower for potatoes,but then I like cauliflower!Do you like nuts,they are relatively low in carbs and fill you up.Be careful though of peanuts and cashews which are higher in carbs.
I'm not type 1 but type2 so you have to be careful reducing carbs when on insulin so that you do not hypo,take it in small steps.

ally5555

dave that is a lot of pastie!

i ave just looked in the carb bible and a similar pastie is about 40-45g CHO per pastie.

Greggs website is useless!

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Dave, you have to send a message to your local Greggs office (look up your area on the map in the contact us section) you might have to be patient though, my reply took about 3 days to come through. Also, be specific about which values you want to know, otherwise they'll send you any old tosh! I asked for cals, protein, carbs fat and fibre and their reply was NOT what I was looking for! Fortunately, I asked them before I actually bought, otherwise my diet would have been totally up the spout! Good luck,

Bubsy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Message from Chocfish,re Greggs.(she knows someone who works there)

Sausage roll 24.9 carbs
Steak Bake 39.2
Chicken Bake 30.2
Sausage & Bean 42.9
Cheese 43.7

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Has anybidy tried the festive bake yet? I love it but I get too much of a reaction from it. BS goes sky high and I also get acid indigestion. So not worth it, is it? :(