JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It is good that the so called experts are gradually being dragged into the twentieth century, pity as this is the 21 st century.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I got this in an email from Healthy news today. Is the lower carb message finally being accepted as more mainstream ? :)
http://naturallyhealthynews.com/art...618a6b183954609dcb719eaa98e5123b156682d826c75
Yes, it starts well, but sort of loses the message half way though and he keeps forgetting about the carb content of some of the things he recommends. For instance buckwheat flour contains about 65g/100g and quinoa and lentils are also high carb. But some part of the message is getting through at least.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Have to rename this website LCHF.co.uk soon, it's becoming much more about that than diabetes topics in recent months.
I don't think high carbs are good for normal people, let alone diabetics. But the subject is very important to anyone with any form of diabetes, including LCHF.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone see the adverts under the article? Lots of buckwheat promotion going on...
Interestingly, there is a Buckwheat and Golden Flaxseed Fusilli, which I would be interested to try (as an experiment, while wearing my Libre, since I don't have a brilliant history with buckwheat), but I am just a little suspicious - the advert says
What makes Really Healthy™ Buckwheat with Golden Flax Seeds Pasta so special is how it is made. This super healthy and super delicious pasta contains only a single ingredient — buckwheat — so that it is free from the fillers and additives found in so many processed foods.
https://goodhealthnaturally.com/gb/...buckwheat-with-golden-flax-seeds-fusilli.html
Only problem is that buckwheat is one ingredient, and golden flax seeds is the second... clearly 2 ingredients
So their blurb is misrepresentative.
Doesn't inspire confidence.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it starts well, but sort of loses the message half way though and he keeps forgetting about the carb content of some of the things he recommends. For instance buckwheat flour contains about 65g/100g and quinoa and lentils are also high carb. But some part of the message is getting through at least.

I thought that too, but, for non diabetics on a high carb diet, this has to be a step in the right direction.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to rename this website LCHF.co.uk soon, it's becoming much more about that than diabetes topics in recent months.
I guess that's because good science supports the fact that carbs convert to glucose and raise our BS. Our meters and insulin shot numbers prove it so it's not anecdotal but evidence-based. The HF aspect remains controversial the problem being we can't directly measure it's effects and the type of fat you eat and the actions of the liver all affect your lipids breakdown. Overall they are good but I try to follow a middle path.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For instance buckwheat flour contains about 65g/100g....

Whoah, Brian, give buckwheat a chance!

I love the stuff, barely shifts my levels, and those little pyramids with white inner and reddish outer just look good. Have it with lardons of ham, chestnut mushrooms, samphire, and tabasco chipotle sauce.

Haven't checked any scholarly articles but the link below has some interesting stuff about it containing chiro-inositol which tentatively might act as an insulin mimic. Stacks of minerals and anti-oxidants too.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with that.

The tone of the article also suggests that everyone in the world is negatively affected by carbs. Just like with any diet, it doesn't fit everyone, and it can be equally as harmful to advertise something as being for everyone when it's not. There are plenty of diabetics and non-diabetics who can eat carbs for days and come out healthier than ever. There are tons of vegans who thrive on a high carb, low fat diet who are very healthy and have lowered their risks for diabetes too!

We need to avoid blanket statements and assess individuality in everyone when it comes to what diet works for them. Yes, it can offer incredible glucose control, and I think there's nothing wrong with encouraging it especially for those who struggle, but we have enough members on the forums who prove it doesn't have to. Many people require a moderate-high carb diet to manage their condition effectively. Many people require a (strict) low carb diet to manage their condition.

There are no absolutes when it comes to health of the human body. Articles that negate this need to be regarded cautiously, in my opinion.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with that.

The tone of the article also suggests that everyone in the world is negatively affected by carbs. Just like with any diet, it doesn't fit everyone, and it can be equally as harmful to advertise something as being for everyone when it's not. There are plenty of diabetics and non-diabetics who can eat carbs for days and come out healthier than ever. There are tons of vegans who thrive on a high carb, low fat diet who are very healthy and have lowered their risks for diabetes too!

We need to avoid blanket statements and assess individuality in everyone when it comes to what diet works for them. Yes, it can offer incredible glucose control, and I think there's nothing wrong with encouraging it especially for those who struggle, but we have enough members on the forums who prove it doesn't have to. Many people require a moderate-high carb diet to manage their condition effectively. Many people require a (strict) low carb diet to manage their condition.

There are no absolutes when it comes to health of the human body. Articles that negate this need to be regarded cautiously, in my opinion.
In many ways you are right but over several years now I've seen very few posts from those who successfully have a medium or high carb diet and have diabetes at any reasonable level. There is no doubt that all those carbs convert to glucose but if you have a high natural metabolism or exercise a lot then those carbs will be turned into useable energy rather than stored as fat or lurk in the blood raising BS.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't think high carbs are good for normal people, let alone diabetics. But the subject is very important to anyone with any form of diabetes, including LCHF.

'Normal people' ? my dad and many of the other elderly residents in his care home eat carbs, they eat a varied diet and my dad is 94 this year :) It depends what people see as 'high carbs' it could be 50 carbs to one and 150 to another and what type of carbs too.

Reactions: azure

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I agree with that.

Remind me, what's the mechanism for turning normal people into T2Ds?

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In many ways you are right but over several years now I've seen very few posts from those who successfully have a medium or high carb diet and have diabetes at any reasonable level. There is no doubt that all those carbs convert to glucose but if you have a high natural metabolism or exercise a lot then those carbs will be turned into useable energy rather than stored as fat or lurk in the blood raising BS.
Sure, but that doesn't mean we're dealing in absolutes. The forums aren't visited by every diabetic in the world, they tend to be visited by people who are seeking answers to problems they're experiencing. In many ways, the userbase is extremely biased due to this and shouldn't be used as a source for scientific claims. What we're seeing here is all anecdotal in nature, not scientific, that is also a big difference that needs to be acknowledged. We're likely not hearing from many who are successful with moderate to high carb diets because they're doing fine with their regime, and aren't reaching out for help.

It's the same principle as 'patrons who experience issues in an establishment are the ones who leave the most reviews, but you rarely hear from those who had a flawless experience'. Does that make sense?

I'm definitely not against LCHF, I'm acknowledging it's changed many people's lives, but we can't make scientific statements based on this, and we shouldn't disregard that LCHF is not for everyone, even if it works out for many. That's just as dangerous as the 'everyone needs 160g carbs a day' mindset.

Assessing individual needs should always, always be the leading course of action when it comes to managing anyone's health, whether that is in diet or treatment.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Whoah, Brian, give buckwheat a chance!

I love the stuff, barely shifts my levels, and those little pyramids with white inner and reddish outer just look good. Have it with lardons of ham, chestnut mushrooms, samphire, and tabasco chipotle sauce.

Haven't checked any scholarly articles but the link below has some interesting stuff about it containing chiro-inositol which tentatively might act as an insulin mimic. Stacks of minerals and anti-oxidants too.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11
I was referring to the guy recommending buckwheat flour as low carb, it isn't. And although you don't spike with it, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to all and sundry.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This is a forum housed on the sites servers we make of it what we will. And are free to post within reason what we want if we don't like the discussions then we are all free start a thread discussing the aspects that we would prefer to discuss.

Though it does seem to be a little one track at the moment.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Sorry, Daibell, nonsense. My last hba1c was 36, my Libre AGP has reassuringly straight lines in all percentiles within range, all despite the fact that if I fancy a lasagne, I will have a lasagne.