Carbs. When can I have some lol

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. Little more perhaps. On metformin once a day and have to increase to twice tomorrow. Best reading ever before food this evening 5.3. I'm down from the late teens with highest in morning around 9 before brekky.
But......ive had almost no carbs. Carrots and a slice of wholemeal has been the most carbs I've had in a day. I enjoy cycling etc and think I'm guna need a few carbs going in soon. I guess it's all just experimentation?

Kinda answering myself I guess.

Metformin is horrible tho. Dizzy and blurred vision all day. Cant wait to see diabetic nurse this week cos that's doing me head right in

Sent from my F3111 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. Little more perhaps. On metformin once a day and have to increase to twice tomorrow. Best reading ever before food this evening 5.3. I'm down from the late teens with highest in morning around 9 before brekky.
But......ive had almost no carbs. Carrots and a slice of wholemeal has been the most carbs I've had in a day. I enjoy cycling etc and think I'm guna need a few carbs going in soon. I guess it's all just experimentation?

Metformin is horrible tho. Dizzy and blurred vision all day. Cant wait to see diabetic nurse this week cos that's doing me head right in

Hi @Bigbassett ..
LCHF is not about holding back on carbs and then having a "splurge" .. it's a lifestyle change within which you are trying to stop eating all the unecessary carbs that you have become used to over years of being indoctrinated by the myths that you have been bombarded with by the food industry. Remember that all the carbs you eat turn into sugar in your body .. and that's what you are trying to change
I suggest that you have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb for visuals and lists of what and what not to eat
Hope this helps

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The dizzy and blurred vision is from fluctuating bg. As soon as you stabilize that it should go away

The idea is to replace your carbs with fat. Loads of great foods. The tyoenof fat ( animal vs plant, i.e.: bacon vs avocado) is up to you. The percentage of calories from fat should be higher than carbs for SURE as well as protein. It doesn't mean you have to douse everything in bacon grease or butter or oils

Eggs with mayo, avocado, veggies with butter or olive oil, cheeses, some nuts and seeds, olives are all good. Of course you CAN have bacon and douse your food in the grease but it's not necessary.

This is a lifestyle, not a splurge on carbs thing.

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking of carbs before a long ride on bike as I've always carbed up in the past for long rides. I feel I have no energy at mo. I went for a small spin 14 miles yesterday and ran out of energy and felt low.... I wasn't. Well I was for me I guess but in normal range for anyone else!!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No expert on this but from what I read a low carb high fat diet may even have advantages for stamina requiring sports provided that you are sufficiently low to enter ketosis a process whereby the body burns fat for its energy needs rather than carbs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bigbassett_ the lack of energy is probably due to your body adjusting to the change in diet. Once you're through that initial reaction, you should find that you have more energy and are able to exercise as normal on a low carb diet. Take care to make sure that you have enough fat to compensate for the lack of carbs - your body will be able to use the fat as fuel.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The transition to lower carbs can be an uncomfortable time, so you have my sympathy! But congratulations on the lowered blood glucose. That is a great improvement. :D You'll probably find exercise a bit challenging until you transition so be gentle with yourself. :) Voleck and Phinney have been researching low carb in athletes for over 20 years, and they've written a couple of books on the subject you may find interesting. Both titles begin with 'the art and science of low carb...'

A lot of things happen to us when we lowered the carbs, and it takes a few days up to a couple of months (yes, months) for the body to adjust properly, depending on how fast you cut the carbs, and how low carb you go.

The key thing is are you eating enough? By cutting carbs, the body loses the instant access energy, and has to learn how to access its fat reserves. This can leave us in a lacklutre wobbly floppy limbo for a while. But don't worry. If/when you enter 'fat burning mode' the energy comes flooding back. And (for me) it is a better, more consistent, more resilient energy supply. V&P say that their athletes are back up to full performance 6-8 weeks after going very low carb.

The blurred vision is, as @Kristin251 says, quite likely because of the rapid drop in blood glucose. The high sugar levels affect the focal length of the eye. I will spare you the boring techy explanation that i don't really understand. But the important thing is that it will pass. Once your bgs stabilise, your eyes will stop blurring. Some people find they can go back to old glasses, becauses the blood glucose has been affecting their eyes for years.

If your eyes dont improve in a few days, it would be worth ringing an optician and asking if theyneed to see you.

The dizzyness could be several things - dropping bgs, dropping blood pressure, lower salt intake (the first few weeks of low carbing, the body sheds salt and water. Are you on any blood pressure medication? Low carbing - and the weight loss that often happens as a result of low carbing - may also reduce blood pressure. So if you are on meds, they may need adjusting which you doc can help with. Otherwise, the salt thing is very easily rectified. A cup of Bovril, a sprinkle of salt on your food, even a stock cube made into a kind of cuppa soup with hot water will help.

I have seen people post that a single cup of Bovril has made them feel hugely better, so worth a try :)

Some people also find potassium and magnesium go low on low carb, and you may want to read up on that.

No idea if you are attempting major weight loss as well as low carb, but i strongly believe that it is better to adjust to low carb before you start reducing intake with a weight loss diet/low calorie thing. Both changes at once can be a bit hard to cope with. So for the first week or two, don't try going hungry, and have a low carb snack (nuts, coffee with cream, berries and cream, cold meat, cheese) rather than enduring wobbly hunger and carb cravings. Your appetite may naturally shrink after a while and then you will forget to snack.

Hope that helps!

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of carbs before a long ride on bike as I've always carbed up in the past for long rides. I feel I have no energy at mo. I went for a small spin 14 miles yesterday and ran out of energy and felt low.... I wasn't. Well I was for me I guess but in normal range for anyone else!!

At the start of my change of diet I took water and nuts everywhere with me. If I felt at all lacking in energy I'd eat a few nuts. Nuts that I ate were brazils, macadamia and pecans.

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you ALL.

Yes that helps. I was considering carbing up a bit. But I think I'll keep going.
Re weight I'm a bulkier athlete than many and a stone would good to lose but I'm not too bothered about that. Just want happy blood sugar to try and avoid any long term complications.
Thanks all. Im looking forward to being none blurred sometime soon

Mark_1

It may be worth you looking up the documentary called
Fat Chance - Can You Ride a Bike Across Australia Without Carbs?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you ALL.

Yes that helps. I was considering carbing up a bit. But I think I'll keep going.
Re weight I'm a bulkier athlete than many and a stone would good to lose but I'm not too bothered about that. Just want happy blood sugar to try and avoid any long term complications.
Thanks all. Im looking forward to being none blurred sometime soon

The blurry eyes were very annoying. I still get th m if I have a rapid drop or spike. Th blood vessels behind your eyes constrict and dialate as bg changes. This is why diabetics are prone to eye trouble and blindness. It is also that sensation that tells me my bg is doing something won,y and undesireable.

Reactions: Bigbassett_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be restricting carbs, but carrot and bread are not low carb foods, the bread in particular will contain a high percentage of carbs - perhaps if you were to research what you could eat and expend your menus to include a variety of foods you can eat throughout the day so as to have a more even input it might help, and it would be easier to add in a few more carbs to each day's allotment to see how they affected you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Richard Morris (one of the 2ketodudes) is a keen cyclist and often does extended bike rides not only low carb (he follows a ketogenic diet) but also fasted. So there shouldn't be any need for carbs per se once you become fat adapted. As a word of caution though eating bread won't help you to become fat adapted so you may get caught between the rock and hard place of not being fat adapted so still running your body on carbs which is not the best of places to be.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The body will always go to burning carbs first. Then when out of those it feels depleted and you get exhausted as it won't go to fat until fully adapted. Switching in and out doesn't work so well. As @bulkbiker said, between a rock and a hard place.

Protein is our ground wire. Then we choose a fuel source. Fat or carbs. Obviously fat is better for a diabetic but a little of this or a little of that will leave you drained. IMO

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Carbs are fast energy, which is what you seem to be thinking. Fine for most people, but we diabetics do not work like that! A lot of that sugar just ends up sloshing about in the blood unable to be of use. The LCHF diet makes more use of energy from fat. Experimentation is essential. I cannot go anywhere near any carbs early in the day. It spikes my BG hugely. I can eat fruit in the middle of the day. I can even have a slice of my home made bread later. I only know that from testing and trial.