1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carers Allowance

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by martina, Aug 9, 2017.

1. martina

martina · Well-Known Member

Hello, Im just looking for advice about the carers allowance I receive. I have just started a part-time job. One week I earn £120 and the next £90 and so on. I contacted the benefits office to let them know i had started working. The woman told me that I was no longer entitled to the allowance and it would be stopped. She told me the limit per week is £116 and two weeks of the month I do earn over so that's fair enough but I did think it would be balanced out by the weeks that I am under. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew how it works as I was told by another lady that it was all worked out on a yearly basis. If im no longer entitled to it that's fine however I just want to make sure I am being given the correct information. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Peerless67

Peerless67 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You need to work an hour less on your £120 week and do the extra hour on your £90 week. That way you do not exceed the £116

3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The system is a minefield, go have a word at your local CAB. The staff there are often more clued up than those at Benefits centres. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think some of her info is a bit off - in my bumf for carers allowance it says £110 which is backed up on the website. I would double check everything she told you have a look at this link - scroll down to the earnings bit - hope this helps :) remember the £110 is net not gross, so after tax Nat Ins and certain expenses

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/carers-allowance.aspx

My earnings vary – can I keep my Carer's Allowance?
    If your earnings vary, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will usually agree to look at your average earnings over a five-week period if this means the earnings are assessed more accurately. It may help if you show the DWP a copy of your employment contract to show the details of the agreement about how you are to be paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Peerless67

• Like Like x 1
  6. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you not still a carer regardless of your earnings?

Is it means tested...?

7. Peerless67

No it is not means tested but there is still a threshold on how much you can earn to claim it. Without a doubt it is one of the most dubious pieces of governmental legislation we have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From what I understand, you can,t earn more then 116 a week. I understand that is every second week but the DWP Don, t look at that. I could be wrong so I suggest you see the cab

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. martina

Its the way the shifts work, 4 days and then 3 days. I dont think the pattern can be changed.

10. martina

I will have a chat with my employers to see if they can help.Its the way the shifts fall, so i dont think much can be done about it. CAB a good idea thanks.

11. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to contact your local CAB and remember you only have one month to challenge the decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook