1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cataracts

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by carol43, Sep 20, 2017.

1. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Had my cataracts done in 2015. My sight was brilliant afterwards but just lately have been having trouble with my right eye so went to opticians yesterday. Apparently when having this op it can cause the lens right on your eye and under the new lens to thicken up and that what's happened to me. I am now waiting for an operation to have it broken up by laser. Scary but nothing to do with being diabetic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. MargaretR

MargaretR Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've had that done (the laser thing). Don't be scared, it was over before I realised and there was no pain at all. Mine was done in the clinic rather than in an operating theatre, and was much like an ordinary check up.

Apparently it happens to about 40% of people who have cataract operations.

Margaret

3. kentish maid

kentish maid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

the same happened to me my sight is fine now.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

5. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had this done (Yag laser capsulotomy) about 18 months ago on my right eye.

It took around a hour for the photos and prep work to be done, then about ten minutes (I think) to do the laser surgery. Completely painless except for the initial sting from the eye drops.

Amazing stuff, and I have now got clear sight again just like after the cataract surgeries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook