Cauliflower VS Keto pizza Base

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First off apologies if this subject has been raised prior to this but I am a confused person!

I am thinking about making my own pizza and I have seen a few different recipes.

One recipe is made out of cauliflower and the other made with mozzarella cheese as the main ingredients and I want to know which tastes more authentic, has a good texture and is easy to make as I am lazy!!!

Please let me know what you guys think from your experiences :3 xx

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried the cauliflower one as it sounds a bit of a faff to me - especially as I don’t have a food processor. I have used this recipe, using ground almonds (cheaper than almond flour) and mozzarella. Easy and quick:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/fat-head-pizza

I replaced their suggested toppings with pepperoni and other meats. Tasted great.

06D61D8A-7895-4AB0-AF8E-6A699D5CB6FA.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my vote is for the fathead pizza (link above, courtesy of goonergal)
was amazed when I decided it was even nicer than a normal pizza, and would now have it in preference.

Reactions: Billy7764

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another vote for fathead pizza, it is amazing. I just throw everything in the stand mixer and mix, I have never messed around microwaving and it turns out perfect.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go for fathead too.. I don't have a microwave so just melt the cheese in a pan and mix in all the ingredients and then spread out the base.The egg is optional and can be missed out which allegedly makes it a crisper base.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go for fathead too.. I don't have a microwave so just melt the cheese in a pan and mix in all the ingredients and then spread out the base.The egg is optional and can be missed out which allegedly makes it a crisper base.

Will try without the egg.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it is undecided! Does it tend to effect levels if you eat the entire lot? ... asking for a friend ;)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fathead pizza does not affect my levels much but you would probably have a hard time eating a whole batch. It is incredibly filling.

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you're pizza is ever too big to finish you can always invite me around for dinner, I'll gladly help you finish it off. Lol.

Reactions: CrankyKat

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 24450 Another vote for Diet Doctors Fathead Pizza here! :hungry:

Wow, must try that. Have had a bit of a struggle trying to find edible pastry-substitutes but that one looks great. The fact that some you have actually succeeded in making it helps, too. I have tried quite a few pastry-substitute recipes with no success so far.

One thing that is quite easy to make is a frittata. That doesn't have pastry and is low-carb, but pie-like. I tend to makes it with lots of olives. Yum. Might be possible to use pizza-style fillings (pepperoni or whatever) in a frittata too.

@CrankyKat: My wife and two daughters eat cold pizza straight out of the fridge for breakfast! Is that what you mean by a morning pizza?? Take care.

Reactions: CrankyKat

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, must try that. Have had a bit of a struggle trying to find edible pastry-substitutes but that one looks great. The fact that some you have actually succeeded in making it helps, too. I have tried quite a few pastry-substitute recipes with no success so far.

One thing that is quite easy to make is a frittata. That doesn't have pastry and is low-carb, but pie-like. I tend to makes them with lots of olives. Yum. Might be possible to use pizza-style fillings in a frittata too.

@Krazykat2: My wife and two daughters eat cold pizza straight out of the fridge for breakfast! Is that what you mean by a morning pizza?? Take care.
Actually I told a lie :oops: that was a Ditch the carbs recipe, it’s really easy to make:
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/
Do you have a recipe for Frittata @Grateful, I had it on holiday and really enjoyed it but I’ve never made one. A recipe without olives though please! :***:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I told a lie :oops: that was a Ditch the carbs recipe, it’s really easy to make:
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/
Do you have a recipe for Frittata @Grateful, I had it on holiday and really enjoyed it but I’ve never made one. A recipe without olives though please! :***:

Actually the only one I have cooked is very heavy on olives (I love olives, especially black ones!). It comes from a collection of recipes by Ali Maffucci, who is a "spiralizing" guru.

Here's another one of hers, with no olives. Butternut squash and feta cheese, 9g carbs per portion: http://inspiralized.com/spiralized-butternut-squash-and-feta-frittata-for-two/.

I just googled "frittata ali maffucci" and found a number of her frittata recipes. If you root around a bit you may find other frittata recipes of hers that are lower in carbs than the above link. If so do let us know!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually the only one I have cooked is very heavy on olives (I love olives, especially black ones!). It comes from a collection of recipes by Ali Maffucci, who is a "spiralizing" guru.

Here's another one of hers, with no olives. Butternut squash and feta cheese, 9g carbs per portion: http://inspiralized.com/spiralized-butternut-squash-and-feta-frittata-for-two/.

I just googled "frittata ali maffucci" and found a number of her frittata recipes. If you root around a bit you may find other frittata recipes of hers that are lower in carbs than the above link. If so do let us know!
These look good and it says they freeze!
https://www.ruled.me/hunger-buster-low-carb-bacon-frittata/
Need to get my head round your daft American cup measurements though! ;)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a UK measuring cup graduated in milliliters, you can just type "cups to milliliters" into google and a calculator will pop up. Yes, US measuring units are a pain. The cups that we buy here in America are graduated in both cups and milliliters so we don't have to worry about conversion. I also use French cookbooks quite a lot, and those quantities are usually by weight, in grams....

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a UK measuring cup graduated in milliliters, you can just type "cups to milliliters" into google and a calculator will pop up. Yes, US measuring units are a pain. The cups that we buy here in America are graduated in both cups and milliliters so we don't have to worry about conversion. I also use French cookbooks quite a lot, and those quantities are usually by weight, in grams....
Thanks for that. I found one that looks easy to use:
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/531168/cups-to-grams-converter

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not tried Fathead yet but cauliflower crust pizza is quite easy to make and doesn't taste like cauliflower at all. I've not yet worked out how to get it really crispy, but I can't say I've ever been disappointed with it.

You can also make the bases alone, and flavour them with various spices etc to have a nice alternative to bread - e.g. when having a curry.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2

One thing that is quite easy to make is a frittata. That doesn't have pastry and is low-carb, but pie-like. I tend to makes it with lots of olives. Yum. Might be possible to use pizza-style fillings (pepperoni or whatever) in a frittata too.

@CrankyKat: My wife and two daughters eat cold pizza straight out of the fridge for breakfast! Is that what you mean by a morning pizza?? Take care.

Yep morning pizza = fridge pizza!!!!