Cellnovo Pump

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
My name is John, I have been on a clinical trial of the Cellnovo patch pump since August 2013 and thought you might be interested in hearing about it,
I am now able to talk about the pump and have started to make a few Youtube videos (apologies but never made videos before but trying my best hehe).

I have uploaded one here
It is an overview of changing the set. I am going to be adding more videos over the coarse of the next few weeks showing more of the capabilities of the system. The system has some fantastic features. The food library is probably one of my favorite functions, and once I get a camera capable of close up video I will show the handset in more detail, think you will be impressed. The management software has really helped me and my DSN bring my BG under tighter control. In my upcoming videos regarding the handset and software I will be explaining how the software is much easier to understand to analyze your regime and trends than other pieces of software I have used in the past.

The kit comprises of two sections. You have the Insulin cartridge/pump which is attached to you. Then you have a handset which looks like a mobile phone, its very discrete and unless someone is looking over your shoulder they have no idea it is a medical device. The handset also has a blood meter inbuilt. Less to carry about !!!!!

I have been using insulin pumps since 2006 (Medtronic), and although I am not medically trained I do have , like many of you a lot of experience with pumping. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

Reactions: 5 people

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have always liked the sound of the Cellnovo pump. I like the idea of not having to wear a belt to hold the pump as I do at the moment with my Animas pump.
However I would still like to have some tubing because it would be impossible to wear a patch pump below the waist while wearing jeans for instance! So other than that it looks fine.

Dane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an apppointment with my Diabetic Nurse to discuss going onto a pump. She highly recommends the Cellnovo pump. Just have to wait for my doctors approval; should hear today fingers crossed. I've spoken with the Cellnovo rep who has provisionally ordered me a pump providing all goes well at my hospital; I could receive it next week. This would be my first pump, and am excited by the thought of using the Cellnovo pump. Your vidoe's are great John, any more in the pipeline?

Reactions: 2 people

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Dane
Thats brilliant news. I hope you like it as much as I do :)
Yes I have posted another video here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cellnovo-handset-video.51596/ and also I am in process (time permitting lol) of making a few more. I will pop on up soon regarding the website and the management software.
If you want to know anything else or want me to (try) to explain any of its features then please ask away.

John

Dane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had confirmation from the Cellnovo nurse this evening that my doctor has approved me to use the pump. Got my appointment next Thursday, going to be using saline for the first 3 days then onto insulin. Remarkable how quick it's been sorted. One question John, can you describe the differences between the cannula's i.e. How do they feel?

iHs

I also like the Cellnovo especially as it can be a patch pump or connect by tube to infusion set. Also imposs to get air bubbles in cartridge due to its unique way of filling. Great to see this pump finally being used.. If only it was cgm enabled..... Probably will be though in a few more years..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use steel 5mm canullas and currently it is in my arm. Its very comfortable. As its slightly thinner than Teflon I get less irritation. Its easy to fit and the pump is waterproof for up to 1 metre if you do take off the cannula has a cap fitted in also.

lgrenter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sprouts, broccoli,racism,arguing
Hi, I'm very interested in getting a cellnovo pump, and have never had a pump before. I have been a diabetic for 33 years and next week am meeting with the diabetic team at the royal Glamorgan to discuss pump options. Your videos have been a big help in showing me why the unit is actually like keep them coming!! I have contacted Jayne at cellnovo and she has been very supportive and helpful...... She says hi btw!

Dane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi John,
I had my pump fitted yesterday. So far so good, really happy with it. This being my first pump, there was alot to learn. I too am using the 5mm steel cannula, but had to put it on my stomach for training purposes. I'm currently using saline; transferring to insulin on Monday. I love the fact it is like the Omnipod but it can be removed at the same time, this came in handy when I went Ju-Jitsu training last night, the cannula was fine afterwards also. Couple of questions for you:- 1. Have you insured your pump, if so what method have you used? 2. When bolusing with insulin, can you feel it going in? (As I said earlier, I'm new to pumping).
Thanks.

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Igrenter,
That's fantastic I wish you the best with whatever pump you decide upon. Oh you met Jayne.... Life will never be the same..... Lol

Dane
I have not got this pump insured yet as...well tbh ain't thought about it. I still have my Medtronic pump and that is on my contents insurance, didn't have any problems placing it on there after I explained what it was. No I don't feel the bolus being placed. Once the cannula is inserted and as long as its sitting comfortably I tend to forget on times I am wearing the pump.
How do you find the pump so far? Hope you like it. Don't mind answering anything as long as I know answer lol

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
had a chat with a lady from cellnovo today and she seemed to understand her product pretty well. I was after some more technical info and performance data, and a manual but she wouldn't give me that unless I was a user. Quite disappointed really as I wanted the information as part of my understanding of the various pump capabilities.

She did confirm that Addenbrookes uses their pumps though, which is good

In general how do you guys using the CellNovo get on with them, any particular issues?

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been on the Cellnovo pump since August when I took part in a clinical trial. Like my Medtronic pump it took me a short while to adjust to it and learn its nuances. I think with any pump system its what you are used to. Using the Cellnovo is now second nature and wouldn't want to go back to a tubed pump.
A lot of the earlier issues have been resolved. The guys at Cellnovo have listened to my feedback and they have done a great job. When I started on the pump did have a few small hiccups but I don't recall the last incident. I must come across as some kind of fanboy lol but I am wearing in my arm, its small and light. I can't feel it there and I can operate it from a device that to anyone else looks like a small mobile phone. Only thing I wish it had was a slightly bigger insulin cartridge as I need to change every two days. This obviously depends on your regime, a fellow user gets three days out of his.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just watched your video on the set change, all seems very easy.

What's the capacity of the reservoir - not likely to be a big issue for me as I'm generally on less than 20 units a day at the moment.

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh I would have to check I am not sure but I vary about the 50 units per day and that lasts me two days within hour or two. I would say you would last the three days. I wouldn't use any pump for more than three days though as you need to change site fairly regularly.

Dane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a picture from the supply kit guide to show the volumes of insulin that can be filled. Based on the picture, thus suggests that a longer tube will result in a bigger reservoir. At the present time, only the kit with 'No Tubing' is available.

Attachments

• 1391202087124.jpg
    1391202087124.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 887

Abbadon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Based on what I can read from that image, I expect the increased insulin volume is required to fill the longer tube - so wouldn't provide extra use-able insulin.

pyney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jbeer1972 How are you finding the adhesion?? I see from your video that the pump is attached with velcro to the adhesive strip.

Have you knocked it (I'm sure you must've) and how does it cope after 3 days wear??

I am in the process of getting a cellnovo but it is hard to find anyone with actual experience of using it.

I take it you still like the device? It looks the best option at the minute.

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Pyney
I have knocked it lol. It did remain in place. I find the adhesive patches good. Only advice I would give would be once attached don't get the patch wet for a few hours.
If I've exercised and sweated then the patch may come loose but easy to attach another patch ( you have plenty to spare).

Dane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi John,
Pumping is going well so far. Had a few teething problems in the beginning, but all sorted in the end. So far I've had the pump on my stomach, above my hip, and currently placed on my arm, the arm being my favourite place so far. Gonna try it on my leg in the coming weeks to see how it feels there.
Have to say, Cellnovo have been amazing with communication and deliveries.