cereal bars?????

cjr1980

Hi there, your site has realy intersted me, my 12 year old daughter got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago and we have kept her off school this week so we can learn & teach her how to do her b m's she is on novomix so she doesn't need to inject insulin at school (her choice) but i was just wondering about cereal bars as they seem like a good choice for her mid-morn snack but i'm unsure as to which ones will be suitable for her. any feedback will be soooo gratefully appreaciated!!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Most are packed with sugar and MSG's. Be careful.

I find a handful of mixed unsalted nuts and a piece of fruit works for me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Most of the care of diabetic children seems to be based on avoiding hypos. I worry that a lot of children are running through life with BGs high enough to be doing damage a lot of the time. Does your daughter actually need a mid morning snack? is her morning BG low enough to warrant it?
As a supply teacher I was once instructed to give a mid morning digestive biscuit to a diabetic child, who'd had a fasting BG of 16 :( that morning.
How matureis your daughter? Is she old enough to be able to check her sugar in school and decide if she actually needs that snack to get her through to lunch?
How about a protein snack? Those Wholegrain bars are just compressed sugar.
I came upon a child in 1 school I went in to who was having a satay stick mid morning.
Your daughter might like to carry glucose tabs in case she feels "wobbly". Perhaps you might want to ask Dr. Katharine how she coped with getting her son through the early stages of learning.

cjr1980

hi thanks for your reply,
yeah she can do her bg's herself already we are so proud of her as she is coping so well!! better than me, i don't know much about all the snack things yet as she was only diagnosed last week, that was why i was asking about cereal bars, as she is at high school and i was looking for info on diff sorts of things she could have at break time when her freinds are eating crisps ect they just seemed like a good handy choice but some are very confusing.
thanks again and any suggestions are welcomed !! :?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Cjr,
A very big welcome to the forum,
Nuts aren't a good idea as most schools are nut free, due to the amount of children with allergies to them, so i suggest you check first. Cereal bars have proven very benificial to my 10yr old son, great as a pre cross country snack, though he's still in primary school and its a small one compared to what he will have to face when he leaves for secondary school. What i'm saying is your daughter may have lots of walking to do from class to class, plus cereal bars are handy as a pre PE snack depending on how energetic your daughter is. You'll find its trial and error and what may work for my child may not work for yours. If you need any advise there are plenty to help you, especially on the youth forum, and you can always PM any of the parents, i'm sure they'll all help you the best they can . Take care
Suzi x

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
suzi,

dont most cereal bars contain nuts? ;)

i find them to be extremely high sugar and MSG's are good for no-one.

lilibet

Cjr

With mixed insulin she cant control the doses the same as a basal/bolus routine (which is when you get insulin to last for a 24 hour period (basal) and then insulin to inject to cover food (bolus). Forgive me if im repeating what you know, im not sure if this was mentioned to your or not and didnt want to use jargon you werent familiar with.

Due to this, you might find that she needs to snack mid morning and again mid afternoon to 'meet' the insulin's peaks and troughs and to avoid hypos . As hanadr says, it is very individual and testing is the best way to find out. I am on similar regime and find I can get away with a morning snack but not afternoon, or else I am guaranteed a hypo or near miss before tea time.
The downfall of this regime, if any, is that you cant necessarily control bg after eating as well, and I know that I avoid cereal bars like the plague - they always raise me too high. Maybe give her one at the weekend, test and see how it impacts on her then decide?

Nuts are a good replacement, but not as convenient I suppose, but if she can tolerate it, oatcakes and peanut butter, or something similar. Holland and Barrett do peanut butter with no added sugar, so its much better than some supermarket brands (Glucose is 2nd ingredient in Tesco's peanut butter!!!)

She sounds like she's doing great. Much braver than me when I was diagnosed :oops:

JimmyD

Hi

We only give cereal bars to our daughter when exercising. She has milk and a biscuit at break time but she is only 4 and half. We had lots of problems on the two a day injections and we are now on multi daily injections and her control is much better. We found that even if she had high readings as per a post above she would still need a snack or she would hypo. On the two a day injections we were just feeding the insulin. I know it is early days and you are all coping so well but I suggest you look into the difference in regimes, please ask if you have any questions I am more than happy to answer any.

JimmyD.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Aphex,
coco pop, frosties and kelloggs squares are but a few cereal bars that don't contain nuts, we find them useful pre PE and cross country, but everyone is different, especially children, they seem to use up energy at an alarming rate, and during growth spurts, well thats a whole new ball game.
Suzi x

cjr1980

hi all, thank you for your warm welcome!! Great news today her bm was 9.3 this am!!! lowest it's been since diagnosis, we must be doing something right :D :D
we tried a wee test as lilbet suggested as she is off school till monday (am i being too overprotective?) with an alpen strawberry cereal bar and a huge no go! had to give her 2 units of novarapid as sent right up to high, she loves peanut butter and is annoyed with me now as we just been out shopping and passed holland & barret :roll:, i have to say i thought our diatician was very nice and helpfull but this site is much more informative, i can't remember all your names (sorry) but i thank you very much!!!! perhaps when she can manage to do her injections herself we can think of changing to the other insulin but she is comfortable just now with her father and i doing it just hope we can control it.

Firefly

Nature Valley Granola Bars are good. They come in a green box and my son finds them the best for long acting carbs and a quick burst of energy too.

He also keeps flapjack in his bag too to have before or after PE. That is usually on BOGOF in the supermarket and although I do make it, it's a store cupboard essential in our house now.