CFS/ME, FM and T2 Diabetes.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the attention in diabetes is focused (and rightly so) on the devastating effects that high blood sugar can cause, but what is often missed is the fact that untreated diabetes is a state of energy deficiency. After all, if insulin does not move glucose into the cells, the cells lack the energy they need to function properly

Add to the fact that elevated insulin levels in T2D prevents energy from fat being released...compounding the energy deficiency.

As noted in the comment...
acacia on March 14, 2014 at 12:12 am
Thanks, Cort and Everyone for this discussion. Something that strikes me and is never mentioned is frequent high levels of insulin in ME/CFS after glucose tolerance test. Dr Lewis of Australia frequently finds this, but I have never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

When I had this test earlier in my illness 11/2 hours after glucose intake my insulin was
4 times the normal limit. The glucose level was normal.

I read that this is supposed to be a prediabetic state. I just wonder what is happening there and why it is never considered. Could the ME/CFS people who develop diabetes have gone through this stage without knowing it? Could there be a pancreatic exhaustion leading to the eventual diabetes

Reactions: Guzzler