CH 4 NHS hospital food

TheSparkyPony

I didn't watch it, but felt I was perfectly informed on hospital food after my numerous stays.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what this fine cuisine was last time I was in?

hospitalfood.jpg

:lol: :lol:

I might catchup and watch the show on 4OD, actually.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
No idea! :lol: But memories are made of this - it looks very familiar and could be anything at all really! :roll:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Experience much the same I was in for a week in December

Breakfast cereal or toast only
Lunch Pot luck slop or or something rock hard
Evening meal always a small sandwich with 1 piece of fruit or biscuit

Lucky I never really felt like eating ,wife came in with nicer options for me

Also the Rip off just to watch Freeview TV £5 for 24hrs
Wife Phoned me every day, so we had a £70 phone bill ,just to call hospital bed from home

Total £35 for Freeview TV and extra £70 for calls to Bedside for 7 Days

jaykay

They had Dr Hilary on radio 2 talking about this and saying , 'Well people go into hospital to get treatment and to get well, not to eat cordon bleu food'. What a twonk! Doesn't he realize that eating well is part of the whole 'getting better' thing? That's apart from having to have the correct diet for certain conditions. They spend more money for food on people in prison than in hospital. Ridiculous! :evil:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Recorded this tonight so will catch up later in the week. My eldest son was in hospital last year and said the food was excellent, must admit that last time I was in the food was OK but would never describe it as ''excellent''.

Nigel

Unbeliever

Perhaps the food is designed to encourage patients not to hang around? Just looking at it is an incentive to atempt to avoid hospital stays. :roll:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The menu was pants at the hospital I was at - for lunch only vegetarian thing with no potato was 'really cheesy cauliflower'. Dinner was equally bad.

If they had said, 'here is free menu, here is £20 menu with restaurant quality food', I would have given them £20.

The bed was uncomfortable, it was noisy, it was too light, it was too hot with the window closed and too cold with it open, there was no duvet only a sheet and a thin blanket, and the door didn't lock so anyone could walk in. And they did walk in, to take blood pressure, blood sugar, what insulin was I on, how much, to pester me about what did I want to eat, had I decided what I wanted to eat yet, etc etc. The toilets were dirty.

I ran away when they said I would have to wait 6 hrs for a CT scan. I couldn't last that long without sleep. Paying to have it done somewhere nice now.

I really see the point of private medical insurance now.
Surely the NHS could save/make money by saying 'here is the cr*p free stuff, pay £X to get this nice room and nice bed and food etc'. I don't expect the NHS to provide those things for free, as they are not vital, but if I am sleeping somewhere I would happily pay hotel prices to get hotel quality accommodation.

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
jaykay said:
Doesn't he realize that eating well is part of the whole 'getting better' thing? That's apart from having to have the correct diet for certain conditions. They spend more money for food on people in prison than in hospital. Ridiculous! :evil:

Yep I'm always doing my own IV’s at home because my dad takes better care of me food wise. I've had to discharge myself a couple of time because my weight was going to a dangerous level around 40kg I go in to get better and come out skinnier than I went in, now that would be fine if I was overweight but I'm far from it :lol: Glad he did some info on us CFers

if you missed it
channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od

Clairslloyd

Didnt see the program but wil try and catch it on 4od. Honestly didn't realise that food was that bad in some hospitals. I have only ever been in 2, Shrewsbury and RJAH Orthopeadic and can honestly say the food was superb as was the select and choice of portion size :) sorry some of you have not had it so good.

LaughingHyena

Last time I was in hospital I overheard the one member of staff at the food trolley ask the other "is that tuna or ice cream?" I presume both came is the polystyrene tubs but needless to say I avoided both.

spideog

I don't remember the food being particuarly good or bad when I was in for 5 days on diagnosis. My issue then was that the food you got given was always ordered by whoever was in that bed 4(?) days previously. Whoever had my bed before I got it clearly had zero appetite so all I got for the first couple of days when the "meals" came round was fruit or whatever the smallest option had been on the menu several days before hand.

The person who got my bed after I got out will at least not have been going hungry as I ticked basically every box on the food request sheets when they came round. Just I only got one of the meals that I had actually ordered before getting discharged.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lol Patch, you might be right. It saved them the cost of a CT scan, I had it done elsewhere instead, so it worked in my case.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 2 hospitals I've visited in the last ten years have both had excellent food. Personally, I'd rather put up with indifferent conditions for a few days, than pay for 5-star food. Anyway, most people in hospital are not in the best condition to appreciate it. I wonder if some of you have ever been camping?
Yes, the private sector would provide better rooms and meals, but these are minor considerations compared to the long term consequences of all-private medicine with no NHS to keep them honest.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Personally, I'd rather put up with indifferent conditions for a few days

Trouble is when your in for longer, when you dont feel well , You need something thats appetizing palatable, without family needing to bring food in to keep your strength up, if you can not leave your bed then your in more need ,Just less reheated slop ,or dried out rock hard food.

Whats the point of sending food out that no one eats , Is that not a waste?

jaykay

It's not just about being edible. When my mother in law, a trained nutritionist, was in for a long stay, she was appalled at how often patients were given food that were totally unsuitable or downright dangerous for their medical condition. I don't think any sensible person is thinking that we should be talking about cordon bleu cuisine, just sustaining, wholesome, reasonable quality food that caters for the dietary requirements of people that are not in the best health! Doh!