Change of insulin

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Taked to dns today told her how my insulin seems to run out after two hours and she is considering changing me to actrapid or humulin s
Anyone changed from novo to one of these others and are they interchangable unit for unit?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Taked to dns today told her how my insulin seems to run out after two hours and she is considering changing me to actrapid or humulin s
Anyone changed from novo to one of these others and are they interchangable unit for unit?
I have recently changed from novolog to humalog (us) and I much prefer humalog. What I saw was with novolog I had a sharp peak around 45 min then a fast drop at 1.5 and wherever my bs was then I stayed or went up.
With humalog I get a much smoother ride. It seems to peak a bit later but less harsh and slowly fade away. I get about an hour more out of it and it doesn't feel so nasty. I do however pre bolus 20 min rather than 10. I could always feel novolog peak like hitting me over the head. Correction boluses felt awful. With humalog I rarely feel anything. Just a slow downward slope.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: ingrid and azure

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have recently changed from novolog to humalog (us) and I much prefer humalog. What I saw was with novolog I had a sharp peak around 45 min then a fast drop at 1.5 and wherever my bs was then I stayed or went up.
With humalog I get a much smoother ride. It seems to peak a bit later but less harsh and slowly fade away. I get about an hour more out of it and it doesn't feel so nasty. I do however pre bolus 20 min rather than 10. I could always feel novolog peak like hitting me over the head. Correction boluses felt awful. With humalog I rarely feel anything. Just a slow downward slope.

Hope that helps.
You have described it perfectly Kristin and that is so reassuring. Dns is covering her own work and that of another nurse so is rushed off her feet but said if she has not had a minute to deal with it today she would do it from her home tonight letting me know tomorrow hows that for a great health carer

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You have described it perfectly Kristin and that is so reassuring. Dns is covering her own work and that of another nurse so is rushed off her feet but said if she has not had a minute to deal with it today she would do it from her home tonight letting me know tomorrow hows that for a great health carer
That's ridiculous!! They have no clue the challenges we go through.
I love my endo and his nurse but they don't have diabetes. They told me they were identical but I beg to differ. I eat the same macros at each meal and have very tight control so it's easy for me to spot the differences. I also take extremely small doses so I can see there too. The dosing for me is the same with either one just humalog is so much smoother and longer. Novolog was so harsh I would feel every little intricacy. And it would make me cry I think. For no reason other then the jolt it gave me. No more tears!!! That was so annoying, crying for no reason. My basal doesn't last at all during the day so I do rely on bolus. I eat 4 small meals and a few snacks as I tend to need insulin every three hours or so but this works well for me as I prefer grazing and lower doses to larger meals and higher doses. Less room for error and feels calmer. I also stay much steadier rather than little dips before rises. Now it's just steady steady.

I have 7 vials of novolog that I'm going to toss. That's how much I prefer humalog.

Hope you get some answers and that humalog works for you as it does me.

Reactions: ingrid

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WEll its to be changed to humalog tomorrow to see how it goes as its supposed to last the same length as novorapid so x my fingers its okay

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well started humalog at teatime yesterday and had minor palpitations but as you said KRISTIN its slower and at bedtime safely back to good level so if the palpitations are transitional will be very very happy with Humalog