Type 2 Changes

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dr. reduced Metformin 2 weeks ago from 3 a day to 2, because my stats were so good. My blood sugar test in the mornings has gone from usually 5-6 up to 8-11. Would this be because of the lower dose? Do you think i should just carry on or go back to Dr.?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be surprised if a modest reduction in Metformin had this effect, though it is said to reduce the amount of sugars produced by your liver, so the Dawn Phenomena (rising blood sugars first thing, before food) might be the first to go up. I would look at other things in your life. Are you fighting a cold or other infection? What are you having for dinner or late night snacks? Have you been sleeping badly or getting up earlier or later? Tell us what you normally eat, food choices are, so often, behind rises in blood sugars.
Sally

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would be surprised if a modest reduction in Metformin had this effect, though it is said to reduce the amount of sugars produced by your liver, so the Dawn Phenomena (rising blood sugars first thing, before food) might be the first to go up. I would look at other things in your life. Are you fighting a cold or other infection? What are you having for dinner or late night snacks? Have you been sleeping badly or getting up earlier or later? Tell us what you normally eat, food choices are, so often, behind rises in blood sugars.
Sally
Absolutely nothing has changed. I eat the same food, have had no illnesses. My blood sugars have been the same for a year, since diagnosis, when i changed everything. The test i do is when i wake in the mornings. I have taken 3 x 500 Metformin for a year, the recent change takes me to 2 x 500. I have removed the midday tablet so that i take them at 1 x 12 hour intervals.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely nothing has changed. I eat the same food, have had no illnesses. My blood sugars have been the same for a year, since diagnosis, when i changed everything. The test i do is when i wake in the mornings. I have taken 3 x 500 Metformin for a year, the recent change takes me to 2 x 500. I have removed the midday tablet so that i take them at 1 x 12 hour intervals.

Have you recently changed your tub, or batch of strips?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try testing before lunch and before evening meal, also bedtime. They may prove useful, especially the bedtime one.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dr. reduced Metformin 2 weeks ago from 3 a day to 2, because my stats were so good. My blood sugar test in the mornings has gone from usually 5-6 up to 8-11. Would this be because of the lower dose? Do you think i should just carry on or go back to Dr.?
I'd give it a few days as my change of metformin has delayed repercussions. Not an immediate influence and my benefits are only once on this med longterm.
Remember thou, everyone is different so it msy affect you timewise differently.
I'd definitely give a change a month to see more accurate result.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Testing first thing is not the best time due to the liver dump overnight. I would go for 2 hours after a typical meal and if it's over 8.5mm then you need less carbs or more meds?